Storm keeps King, but loses Hill

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

STAR centre Matt King last night spoke of his relief after signing a new three-year contract with Melbourne Storm.

King, 24, said the long negotiation process had taken its toll, but added that he was looking forward to helping Storm push for a premiership.

"It has been hard," King said.

"For a while there it was all I could think about. I was always hoping to stay and I'm really rapt to know I'll be in Melbourne for the next three years."

King's rapid rise from Cronulla reserve-grade bench player in 2003, to Storm starting centre and New South Wales State-of-Origin winger, has been extraordinary.

Storm's manager of football operations Peter O'Sullivan said King would prove a key signing.

"The sky really is the limit for him, both on and off the field," O'Sullivan said.

"He has proven a key player for us and the best is yet to come. We are over the moon that he has decided to stay."

With King secured, Storm will turn its attention to halfback Matt Orford. The chances of Orford staying in Melbourne seemingly increased with Manly making a stunning about-face in its negotiations with skipper Michael Monaghan.

The Sea Eagles told Monaghan on Saturday he would not be required next season, fuelling speculation they were pursuing Orford. But yesterday Monaghan signed a new three-year deal with the club.

Storm's excitement over the retention of King was tempered by news that playmaker Scott Hill needs ankle surgery.

Hill will have an arthroscope today to repair damaged ligaments. He will be sidelined for at least a month.

"It's very disappointing. I thought it was just a rolled ankle, but now it looks like I will miss a few weeks," Hill said.

Hill's absence could barely come at a worse time for Storm which is already without Origin representatives Billy Slater, Cameron Smith and King for this weekend's tough trip across the Tasman to play the Warriors on Sunday.

Prop Alex Chan is also battling a back injury, while fellow front-rower Ian Donnelly was last night suspended for two matches for making unnecessary contact with the head and neck of an opponent on Sunday.

"Scott's injury is a setback we probably didn't need at this stage," coach Craig Bellamy said. "I'm not sure what we are going to do in terms of replacements. We are going to have to pull some kids out of Queensland. It will be a fair test of our depth."

Cooper Cronk is likely to fill in for Hill at five-eighth after returning from suspension. Nathan Friend is likely to play hooker for Smith, Josh Graham will replace King in the centres while Greg Inglis will move to fullback to cover for Slater.

heraldsun.com.au
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We're really going to miss Scotty over the next month.
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

No we are not.

It is 1999 all over agian
DEAR STORMWARING(C), PLEASE LEAVE!!!

THANKS FROM THE AASHOLE OF THE BAI STAND
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

im gunna miss scotty :(

but cronk will replace him so its all good.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Should be good to see how Cronk goes for 80 minutes at 5/8.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

AAS wrote:No we are not.

It is 1999 all over agian
You're kidding yourself. He's been close to our most consistent player all year. Geyer is a makeshift five-eighth, but isn't a playmaker like Scotty.

Watch some games this year and have a look at the combo that Ox and Hilly have. We will miss him over the next month

nat
Squall
Squall

watchin cronk at 5/8 for norths he did really well. i think hes a better 5/8th than hooker.
[img]http://members.optushome.com.au/rhjrlfc/nat.jpg[/img]
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Orford and Hill when they perform are close to the best halves combo in the league and we'll definitely miss that potential and opportunity but Cronk will be good enough as a fill in for the next month as long as he doesn't get ruled out one way or another himself. If we can get four or five wins while Hill is out, we're all set for the finals.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think we could struggle this week without our origin players and Scotty. I think we're lucky that we have a struggling Penrith and Souths at home in the following weeks, or Scotty's injury could really come back to bite us on the arse

Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

AT least now Cronky can get a decent go at it.
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

One thing that was notable in Scott Hill absence on Sunday was a lack of offloads particularly in the first half. I don't think he will be missed for his role as a 5/8 because Cronk will handle that aptly however the forwards need to step up and get a few passes away.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/QueenChrista/sucks.jpg[/img]
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Not one Storm player could say they have the class of Scott Hill at his best. As was said, he has been our most consistant this year. We will miss him in attack, but also in defence. He's a champion, and I can't wait for him to return.
Scott Hill and Robbie Ross - The Best

GALLOP + THE NRL = THE REAL CHEATS

Hartigan and Wilson present:
Gauci and Gallop - The newest Muppets

News Ltd = The death of Rugby League
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I agree with most sentiments on this board regarding Hill, who has really improved his combinations with Orford this season and is playing some of the best football of his career.
The first half on Sunday showed why Scott Hill is missed, however the onus falls on Orford to step up in attack and for our back-rowers to play as true ball-playing forwards.
Whoever is named at lock has a big role to play over the next month because on tackles 1-4 Hill can initiate second-phase football, whereas others cannot.
Cooper Cronk when I've seen him at 5/8 for Norths Devils, plays great footy in setting up his teammates in better positions, hopefully his attack on the line isn't impeded with extra responsibility though.

This week though will come down to the forwards... if they can get over the advantage line we'll be in good shape.
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Damn this sucks! I can't eblieve it...well, yes I can, but I am certainly not happy about it. Although it's always best to look on the brightside - Cronk will get some good game time in first grade over the next month. And you never know what could happen from there. Sometimes an opportunity is all that is needed to become a permanent figure in the starting line-up.
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!