New ploy to retain matt

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

STORM'S hopes of retaining Matt Orford beyond 2005 may depend on making him more marketable in Melbourne.

The NRL is close to approving third-party payments to marquee players, which would fall outside the existing $3.25 million salary cap.

It is expected that two nominated players from each club will be eligible to receive payments from sponsors of up to $50,000.

The payments would need to be legitimised through promotional work.

Orford's manager George Mimis confirmed last night that the third party deals had become a key factor in contract negotiations with Storm.

"They are a fairly important part of our discussions from a remuneration viewpoint," Mimis said.

"Some clubs obviously have a greater disposition to corporate sponsors than others. Melbourne is in a challenging market."

Storm has indicated Orford would be one of its marquee players if the scheme is rubber-stamped. But the club's manager of football operations, Peter O'Sullivan, conceded that did not guarantee the funds would be available.

"It is one thing to make someone a marquee player, but then the next challenge for us would be getting a sponsor to tip in that sort of money," O'Sullivan said.

"It depends greatly on the individual. Particularly in Melbourne, they would need to be a highly marketable commodity. There are a few players in our top 25 that fall in that category, but with others it is not so clear."

While Orford's talent is undisputed, he does not enjoy the profile of more flamboyant teammates such as centre Matt King and fullback Billy Slater.

Orford's management met with Storm on Saturday, but talks appear to have stalled.

Orford has already attracted some rich offers from English Super League clubs, and he has also been linked with the Gold Coast, which is expected to be granted a NRL franchise in 2007.

"I'm not really sure which way I'm going at the moment," Orford said.

"I am going to use the week off with the bye to think about things a bit more. I'm not ruling anything out at this stage, but hopefully we are getting closer."

Mimis said confirmation that Storm would gain a purpose-built rectangular stadium as part of a $100 million revamp of Olympic Park, was viewed as a positive by Orford.

"There has always been talk of Storm being relocated but the new venue gives players absolute certainty about the club's future," Mimis said.

Storm is also continuing contract talks with strike centres, King and Steven Bell.

"It is starting to affect their performance so it is something we want to finalise sooner rather than later," O'Sullivan said

heraldsun.com.au
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

"It's starting to affect their performance..."

Really? :roll:
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Seriously, it's about time Storm got rid of the little fu#%er!!! :evil:
How many times have Storm been held to ransom by bloody greedy players who think they're better than they really are?? :roll:
I'm sick of the whole thing, keep King & Bell, get rid of Orford & we'll have money to play with & not go over the cap AGAIN!! :x
I'd rather lose games with a loyal team than win em at the expense of losing good players and keeping whinging little money grubbing sooks who want to go home to mama!!! :roll:
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

In other words if the nrl approves the third-party payments to marquee players deal,
then Storm can throw 50k more at Orford through a business or company theve no doubt
organised.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, even though one or more of our more marketable players (like Slater or King) would miss out...
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Wel that just sux big time! (the 3rd party payments for Orford with others maybe to miss out) He's not really a marketable guy in Melbourne cos he's shown that he'd leave in a second if they got a team on the central coast and that won't sit well with most people who prefer loyalty from their players.
Honestly do we want a player like that in the team?? :roll:
When you have players like Matty Geyer (who wants to stay here & be a ten year player), Cam Smith (who just said in the HS that he loves it here & see's no reason to leave), etc why should we put up with guys like Orford who only see Storm as an ends to a means? If he's really that good he'd be in the bloody rep teams wouldn't he?? Cam & Billy get into em & Kingy is looking good for SOO as well now. Those guys aren't missing out cos they play for Storm are they?
I am at the stage now where I just wish him & his parasitic manager would piss off! :evil:
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

All teams get run around by individual players for all sorts of reasons.

Orford dose not help himself in this more marketable issue...... I hardly ever hear about him outside match previews.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
bootsie16
Squall
Squall

simo wrote:In other words if the nrl approves the third-party payments to marquee players deal,
then Storm can throw 50k more at Orford through a business or company theve no doubt
organised.
Amazing isn't it, the 3rd party deals that Melbourne have been fined for players entering into over the last 4 years are now Central to the restructured payment scheme. At the end of the day it doesn'y matter whether Ox is marketable or not, its a way to pay him an extra $50K without impacting on the salary cap.
Ahhh McGahan; you've done it agahan....
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hmm, and here I was thinking that it was going to be something say that the Storm are gonna let Orford go which would free up money to resign Matt King. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Lord Reynoldson wrote:Hmm, and here I was thinking that it was going to be something say that the Storm are gonna let Orford go which would free up money to resign Matt King. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll vote for that!
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

While Finch re-signed, the future of Orford remains clouded. Orford's manager George Mimis last night confirmed strong interest from English Super League club Warrington.

There is speculation Orford may sign a one-year deal and link with the Gold Coast in 2007.

Foxsports.com.au
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Tigger wrote:Seriously, it's about time Storm got rid of the little fu#%er!!! :evil:
How many times have Storm been held to ransom by bloody greedy players who think they're better than they really are?? :roll:
I'm sick of the whole thing, keep King & Bell, get rid of Orford & we'll have money to play with & not go over the cap AGAIN!! :x
I'd rather lose games with a loyal team than win em at the expense of losing good players and keeping whinging little money grubbing sooks who want to go home to mama!!! :roll:
Quite so!!! after all look what has happened to Newcastle,they got rid of quality players to retain the services of Andrew Johns and it has come back to bite them fair square on the ass.I would love to see Matt Orford stay at Melbourene , but for the right reasons and certainly not at the expense of our other quality players.The uncertainty now is most definately affecting their on field performance , I heard a lot of people abusing Matt Orford at the last game , and that is just not good enough.We went through all this shit with Brett Kimmorley , we went through it again last season with Matt Orford , and now we are going through it once again with Matt Orforg..F#*k off to bloody Warrington if that is what you want to do, and let the rest of the lads get on with what is important !!!
[b]Who Dares Wins!!![/b]
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Matt, sign or sod off.

Since I honestly don't believe Storm is your first choice, then my preference is the latter.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
bunnies
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Manly is now set to make him a huge offer as the word is that Monaghan will not be re-signed!

Cheers
Bunnies :D
Go the Mighty Melbourne Storm and the Mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs!!
Taliesin
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

CUT THE CRAP :evil:

Sign King - Sign Bell - Sign everyone else - Let Orford take or leave the deal that's already been made.