ok, i need homework help

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

hi all.

i have a really important oral for my vce english class in 2 weeks, i have to talk about an issue for 10 minues. anyway i was flipping through GQ magazine and they had the heading "when did sport lose its soul"

now my idea was to branch out on this talking about ideas in sport such as:
- players chasing $$$
- drug taking
- alcohol abuse
- binge drinking
- rape/sexual asult/mistreatment of woman (and all that jazz)
- that contract afl players signed to do with being able to be tested for recreational drugs at any time of year
- sponsors throwing money at players letf right and centre
- the lack of club loyalty in some players
ect.

now i just want help and opinions from all, anything is welcome, but please dont bag out my idea, its my final choice and im sticking to it

oh and i was going to post this at LU but decided against it
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/DaniStorm/Dani07a.jpg[/img]
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

and also, i know some of these things have been in sports for a long time, but im gonna talk about how it has changed
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

StormGurlDani wrote:hi all.

i have a really important oral for my vce english class in 2 weeks, i have to talk about an issue for 10 minues. anyway i was flipping through GQ magazine and they had the heading "when did sport lose its soul"

now my idea was to branch out on this talking about ideas in sport such as:
- players chasing $$$
- drug taking
- alcohol abuse
- binge drinking
- rape/sexual asult/mistreatment of woman (and all that jazz)
- that contract afl players signed to do with being able to be tested for recreational drugs at any time of year
- sponsors throwing money at players letf right and centre
- the lack of club loyalty in some players
ect.

now i just want help and opinions from all, anything is welcome, but please dont bag out my idea, its my final choice and im sticking to it

oh and i was going to post this at LU but decided against it
10 minutes is not a long time to cover such a broad issue as that. If it were up to me I'd narrow it right down to one or at the most two of areas you thought about braching out on. Decide which particular area interests you the most and focus on it and you will find plenty of information.

I'd probably choose the fifth one in the list mainly because I am female and my opinions differ to much of what we hear about that topic in the media.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/QueenChrista/sucks.jpg[/img]
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

thanks Christa, but im kind of going with the way that money, or too much of it, is causing that kind of thing to happen, but i'll take on board what you said.

c'mon people your opinions are vital
girvie
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Rugby League lost its soul when the NRL decided to reduce the number of teams by merging and kicking out the traditional clubs such as North Sydney Bears, Balmain Tigers, Western Suburbs Magpies, Souths etc.
www.mightybears.com

www.northsydneybears.com.au
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

... and introducing non-traditional clubs like the Storm?
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Christabella's right, that's an awful lot to cover in 10 minutes.

You could discus how sport has changed in the past 30 years and the difference between amatuer and professional sport. That would let you briefly refer to all the topics you've mentioned and tie them together.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

ok not sure if this will help at all...

but maybe yo could just compare the game from what it was say in the 70's and 80's and say that in recent times...as the wages have got bigger so have their heads...and just talk about incidents such as the rapes etc etc.
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Dani_
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

KINGY wrote:ok not sure if this will help at all...

but maybe yo could just compare the game from what it was say in the 70's and 80's and say that in recent times...as the wages have got bigger so have their heads...and just talk about incidents such as the rapes etc etc.
thats pretty much exactly what i am doing, the rape and drugs and stuff tie in with the money..they have the money to make them able to do that kind of stuff and give them huge ego's

thanks everyone, you're really helping
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

yeah ..alot has changed since back in the day...

i think money is the big thing...coz these days it costs $18 + for a GA ticket...it was much much much cheaper back in the day...
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
girvie
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Insomniac wrote:... and introducing non-traditional clubs like the Storm?
No i think expansion was good and in the mid 90s i thought it was good to expand to include cowboys, warriors, reds and crushers to come in and in 98 i thought it was good to expand to include Melbourne, but where they went wrong was when they were reducing clubs they destroyed many of the traditional clubs.
www.mightybears.com

www.northsydneybears.com.au
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Sport first lost it's soul in this country in 1977, then was sent to hell in 1995. Connect the dots and you'll see why.
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've always found a disapointment in Austrlian sport with sponsor placement. Remember when Melbourne first came in and the players names were on the back of the jersey's? And when there was no big ugly red box on the front? The only sponsorship they wore were the armsleeves sponsors and the jersey manufacturer - which only covers like 3 square inches. Now every Storm players that pulls the Storm jersey on can have their debut jersey hanging up with the name "Adecco" plastered on the front and back. To have big ugly red squares overshadowing the colours and symbols of the club, that's selling the club short, and happens in every club...except the sponsorless and much hated Newcastle Knights. :lol: :lol: :lol:

One of the best stories I've heard and been able to cheer for, was the Tampa Bay Lightning in the NHL. Not only do they not sell their jersey's to the highest bidders - like all other American sports (hey, they do SOMETHING right over there :lol:) - but they have so much respect for the club that in the team locker room, where they have the giant team logo on the floor, the ground is sacred. You are literally forbidden to walk on it, and to do so incurs fines, and can result in members of the media being warned off by the players. :lol: To me, that's the sign of a sports team that has not lost it's soul at all and the sign of a club that's full of pride (and went from the laughing stock of the NHL, a 2 day midseason vacation for oppositions and guaranteed 2 points to go on to become the Stanley Cup Champions)...........as opposed to the 2 groups running the game that are bickering and bickering and as a result had the whole season thrown out the window. :roll: Now there's a sporting administration that's losing the sports soul.
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thinga, what happened in 1977? Manly came into the comp? What's the 1995 expansion got to do with the sport losing it's soul?
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

Lord Reynoldson wrote:Thinga, what happened in 1977? Manly came into the comp? What's the 1995 expansion got to do with the sport losing it's soul?
Manly were around and long evil before then, he's talking World Series Cricket and Super League.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/QueenChrista/sucks.jpg[/img]