Orford update: Wolves want Ox

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
James
Squall
Squall

Rugby League Week's got a piece about Warrington Wolves' coach Paul Cullen coming to Melbourne next weekend to talk to Matt and his manager. Apparently they are offering him around $500 000 a season, but according to the article a one year deal worth $600 000 is what the Orford camp wants. One year only, so he can come back and play for a new NRL team if there is one in 2007.

It also says the Storm are confident he'll stay put! I guess they would say that, tough...
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

If thats true I think he will take the one year deal and wave goodbye to Melbourne.
Tigger
Site Slave
Site Slave

Well if he's really only after the cash & waiting for a team on the central coast then I hope they don't get one for years yet.
It's a shame when dollars can sway players from teams which have built them into the players they are today. :roll:
These days most players study at uni or whatever for their future after league so you can't really say they only have a few years to earn money. Ok, it's not going to be the huge amounts they can earn whilst playing league but making a living like 'normal' people isn't that bad. Is it?? :wink:
When I want your opinion - I'll give it to you!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If he was to sign another one year deal with anyone, he is a joke. Bending clubs over the way he is being shown to now is not on, and he must remember that in a game like ours, injuries can happen, and with a one year deal, he is in trouble! I hope with all my power that nothing happens to the Ox, but surely it is a consideration when signing a deal with any club
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
Earl
Monsoon
Monsoon

The Central Coast will not have a team for a long time to come. The GC far out weighs CC's prospects.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, and even the GC are facing an uphill battle due to their name apparently... and I can't see them giving up the Dolphins name without a fight (especially with all the merchandise they already have out there!)...
clock off
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

For all anyone knows, his career might be over next week.
We paid Robbie Ross plenty to swan around in a suit for what seemed like years.
Howie was out for a year, then took forever to strike form. That cost plenty too.

For the risks they take, the players should get whatever the market will stand.
Good luck to Ox. Let's hope he can take us to the grand final on his way.
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Insomniac wrote:Yeah, and even the GC are facing an uphill battle due to their name apparently... and I can't see them giving up the Dolphins name without a fight (especially with all the merchandise they already have out there!)...
You're a few weeks late buddy, the Gold Coast bid team has already begun a search for a new name after agreeing to refrain from using the name Dolphins for their proposed NRL team.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

It will be a shame to see Orford go if he decides to go that way, but on the positive side
I think Scott Hill is ready to run the show now, his games at a mature enough level where I think
he could run the offence and have a halfback like Cronk playin off him.
I think in the past Hill maybe has struggled with that responibility but I think he would be ready for it now.
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Earl wrote:The Central Coast will not have a team for a long time to come. The GC far out weighs CC's prospects.
Might be waiting for Newcastle to be finished with AJ
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si