Enigmatic Hill rises to new level

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

NO ONE has ever doubted the class of Scott Hill. Five State-of-Origin appearances for New South Wales and five Tests for Australia are enough to mark him as one of the game's elite.

But at club level, Hill has been something of an enigma. Too often the flashy five-eighth has been brilliant one week, and far from brilliant the next.

That was at least until 2005.

While Melbourne Storm's form has fluctuated wildly in the opening seven rounds, Hill has been a model of consistency.

Every week he has been among Storm's best. Not simply by providing the touches of genius for which he is renowned, but often by just grinding out the tough plays.

"It was probably my main goal at the start of the year to be on my game every week," Hill said yesterday.

"I know at times in my career I probably haven't been as consistent as I needed to be.

"If anything I have just simplified things. I have broken down the key things I need to do as an individual to best serve the team.

"If that means doing some of the harder stuff to take a bit of heat off the forwards, then so be it. Obviously, I have played a bit of lock as well, so it is a role I'm happy to perform."

It seems Hill's form didn't rate a mention with the Test selectors before last week's Anzac Test.

Hill, who toured with the Kangaroos on last year's Tri Nations campaign, couldn't even crack a place in the 23-man squad.

But where it matters most, at home in Melbourne, Hill is winning new respect.

"I think in the past Scotty Hill has been a player who can either make or break you," Storm skipper Robbie Kearns said after Hill carved up Canberra on Sunday.

"But this season he has been a lot more consistent in his play. He has been showing a lot of patience and if he keeps playing like that we will win a lot more games than we lose."

Hill said he wasn't surprised to be snubbed by Test selectors, but he hasn't abandoned hopes of breaking back into the representative arena.

"I am just happy to concentrate on the club stuff at the moment," Hill said. "Obviously there are City versus Country games coming up and State-of-Origin as well.

"I haven't played Origin for a few years and that is definitely something I'd love to experience again. But if I don't, then I can't get too disappointed about it.

"All I can worry about is playing well and hopefully consistently for the Storm."

Storm will monitor prop Alex Chan's left shoulder this week after he aggravated the injury during Sunday's 46-10 win.

Chan's Kiwi Test teammate, David Kidwell, who was rested on Sunday, is expected to return for the clash against Cronulla at Olympic Park on Saturday night.

heraldsun.com.au

has been quite good not hearing hill bashing this year :D
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agree Kingy... Hilly is back!!!
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Karl de Kroo wrote:NO ONE has ever doubted the class of Scott Hill.
Karl obviously hasn't read some of the comments posted on fan websites. :shock:
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Maybe he should have written that 'No one should have doubted the class of Scott Hill'
Storming our way to glory!

[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/hocko123/makybebanner.jpg[/img]
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Scott Hill is the form 5/8 of the comp beside's lockyer, If he dosnt get a NSW jersey this year then
its all rigged like the wrestling.
jellyhead
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

simo wrote:Scott Hill is the form 5/8 of the comp beside's lockyer, If he dosnt get a NSW jersey this year then
Wrestling is rigged? :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Are you going to now try and tell me there's no Easter Bunny either?!?!
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Sshhhhhh.. don't tell anyone but Santa Claus and the tooth fairy don't exist either ;)
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
AAS
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

jellyhead wrote:
simo wrote:Scott Hill is the form 5/8 of the comp beside's lockyer, If he dosnt get a NSW jersey this year then
Wrestling is rigged? :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Are you going to now try and tell me there's no Easter Bunny either?!?!

Simo, a funny story about my niece and the easter bunny a couple of weeks ago at school,

She has a little assignment to tell people what she got from the easter bunny at school and she said

"Easter bunny did not come to me, The easter bunny did big poo poos in a paper bag and set it on fire"

The teacher was stunned with what was said, and ring my sister-in-law during lunch.
DEAR STORMWARING(C), PLEASE LEAVE!!!

THANKS FROM THE AASHOLE OF THE BAI STAND
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Yep Hill has been real steady doing the tough stuff this year.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
thinga87
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I'm not going to jump on the Hill bandwagon, but he seems to be more level-headed with the ball at the moment and is playing 'off' Orford enough this season. (that's a compliment really, honest!:lol:)
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

As my favourite player i keep a close eye on him. And yeah seems like he knows when to inject himself in the game and i think personally is the classiest five eight in the game.
"Better to have Won then Lost, than to have never won at all" Arrogant, but true hahahaha
[img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LHg6T-6fC3I/S9VsrfFCLPI/AAAAAAAACeQ/RYZD1XBQI7A/redemption.jpg[/img]
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree Bula, Hill is the classiest 5/8 in the game.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

simo wrote:I agree Bula, Hill is the classiest 5/8 in the game.

:shock:

2 words. Darren Lockyer.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
JAMIE
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The stuff posted old Storm forums, often really upset me.
He was often blamed for trying too much, or having no patience, which to a certain extent was accurate. But no one cared to mention, that when he was trying those things, was when we as a team needed a spark. He mostly tried those things when we as a team were really flat.
But reading, that people are now starting to appreciate him puts a smile on my face. Just remember, he has come back from chronic shoulder injuries, a stupid nutcase attacking him with a bar, and missing out on the 1999 Premiership. I don't think anyone can ever appreciate how tough mentally and physically those times were for him, and for him to come back like he did, just typifies the type of footballer he is - An ABSOLUTE CHAMPION of the game.

He has been our most consistant this year along with Robbie Kearns. And let's hope those NSW idiots will reward him with a Sky Blue.
Scott Hill and Robbie Ross - The Best

GALLOP + THE NRL = THE REAL CHEATS

Hartigan and Wilson present:
Gauci and Gallop - The newest Muppets

News Ltd = The death of Rugby League
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Darren Lockyer is overrated, see how he would go if he played under Storm's pack,
Brisbane pretty much have the best forward pack year after year, If Hill played behind them he would dominate
more then Lockyer.