Who has the best team in the NRL both in attack AND defence?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Billy-Bob
Squall
Squall

Why, the Melbourne Storm.

http://www.nrl.com/season/ladder.cfm

We are scoring just over 40 points on average, and conceding just about 12.
We have scored 30 tries in 4 games, and if you exclude the Manly loss (only 3 tries), we're looking at an average of 9 tries when we're winning!

\:D/ (Sing when you're winning...) \:D/

We have FOUR players in the top 20 points-scorers' list:
We have Matty Orford is at the top of the points scorers list with 40 points to his name, and if he were a goal kicker, it would be closer to 50 by now; Billy Slater, with 28 (that's more than some halfbacks at this point!); Cameron Smith, 18 points; and Steven Bell with 16 points.

AND

We have THREE players in the top FIVE try-scorers' list!!!:
Billy Slater (7 tries), Steven Bell (4 tries), and Matt Orford (4 tries)!

FURTHERMORE,

Craig Smith has already made 121 tackles, which puts him 5th on the top tacklers' list. What's pleasing about this stat is that this means our team has been sharing the rest of the workload pretty well. Smithy is standing out amongst a team full of committed defenders.

We have three players making lots of offloads: Robbie Kearns with 10 (4th place), Matt Geyer with 8 (6th place), and Scott Hill with 7 (7th place).
We have three players with multiple try-assists: Matt Orford with 6 (1st place), and Scott Hill and David Kidwell with 3 a piece. (Equal 3rd)
We have THREE players in the top FOUR in linebreaks: Steven Bell and Billy Slater already have SEVEN each (equal 1st place!), and Matt King has 5 to his name. (3rd place) So it's true, Matt King really is like a rampaging palm tree. By the way, Matt Orford has recorded 3 "Morph Busts" already.

Robbie Kearns is second on the hit-ups list, with 63; Ryan Hoffman is equal sixth on 54; and Matt King and Matt Geyer have 52 and 51.

We have three players in the top seven for metres gained: Matt King with 529 (2nd), Robbie Kearns with 505 (4th), and Billy Slater with 465. (7th)

In conclusion,

The Storm's first four rounds reveal that Bellamy has worked on every single aspect of play, our team is sharing the workload very evenly, and this is allowing our stars to shine. Our breath-takingly outstanding team has no apparent weaknesses, and I believe that the Broncos win was not a flash in the pan, because we already had consistent performers in every department. At this point, our players that are really shining are the following, though not necessarily in this order:

Forwards:
Cameron Smith,
Robbie Kearns,
David Kidwell (or should I put him in the backs for that magic flick last night?)
Ryan Hoffman,
and Brett White.

Backs:
Matty Orford,
Billy Slater,
Matt King,
Matt Geyer,
and Steven Bell.

So there you are. My questions for you are these:
In which order of importance would you list our statistically proven top performers for 2005?
Who else has caught your eye?
Whom else do you expect to shine for the Storm this season?

Either way, I felt so alive at the Graveyard I could just sing :D

GO STORM!!!
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Isn't that a surprise? :lol:
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2995/mattgeyer0xw.jpg[/img][/url]
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Billy-bob wrote:Craig Smith has already made 121 tackles, which puts him 5th on the top tacklers' list. What's pleasing about this stat is that this means our team has been sharing the rest of the workload pretty well. Smithy is standing out amongst a team full of committed defenders.
Extremely impressive given that Craig Smith has only played one game in 2005 since he was signed by the Knights two weeks ago :shock: although calling his team full of committed defenders is questionable as they've conceded 139 points in three games and 14th on the ladder propped up only by the bye.

;)

D'oh! myself :oops:
Last edited by Thunderstruck on Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Billy-Bob
Squall
Squall

Thunderstruck wrote:
Billy-bob wrote:Craig Smith has already made 121 tackles, which puts him 5th on the top tacklers' list. What's pleasing about this stat is that this means our team has been sharing the rest of the workload pretty well. Smithy is standing out amongst a team full of committed defenders.
Extremely impressive given that Craig Smith has only played one game on 2004 since he was signed by the Knights two weeks ago :shock: although calling his team full of committed defenders is questionable as they've conceded 139 points in three games and 14th on the ladder propped up only by the bye.

;)
Oops! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Mike_The_Undertaker
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone
Location: Member No 17 Digg'n and Prepar'n anotha away teams demise.

Thunderstruck wrote:
Extremely impressive given that Craig Smith has only played one game in 2005 since he was signed by the Knights two weeks ago :shock: although calling his team full of committed defenders is questionable as they've conceded 139 points in three games and 14th on the ladder propped up only by the bye.

;)

D'oh! myself :oops:
Also C.Smith sat out most of the Knights game.
[b][size=24px]GO[color=violet]S[/color][color=blue]t[/color][color=orange]o[/color][color=blue]r[/color][color=violet]m[/color] [/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/undertakermike/S_LU.gif[/img]
New jif currently being constructed..Go Joe Si
Thunderstruck
Site Manager
Site Manager

Apparently Craig Smith was at our game last night. Lazzo said he and Rusty were there as he pointed to the western stand while giving his speech. I didn't see Smithy post game though I did spot Rusty at the social club.
[img]http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2514/banner069rm.jpg[/img]
Christabella
Site Manager
Site Manager

Astonishing, Cameron (or Craig or whatever you want to call him) Smith has made as many tackles as the entire Bulldogs side has missed!
I just saw a list of the Bulldogs stats for the season which look abysmal in comparison to the Storm and I simply couldn't get over the missed tackle count.

The Storm clearly have the best attack in the league but I think their defence is matched by that of the Sea Eagles. Just have a look at their article in Big League this week - most of their forwards have over 90% effiency in making tackles and even their halves (the weakest link) have over 80%. This might explain why they are sitting at the top of the ladder and the Storm have only been beaten by them. Your attack can be brilliant but if the tackles are effective then it is hard to bust the line and in turn score points. Defence is what wins games and the way Manly have turned their defence around this season has impressed me no end.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/QueenChrista/sucks.jpg[/img]
*dOgzRuLe*
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

imo the storm are a fantastic attacking team this year, and if u guys maintain ur consistany and play like u did last nite every week you will be title contenders
[img]http://tinypic.com/68e8tz.gif[/img]
Super Cronk
Site Manager
Site Manager

if we defend like we did vs broncos we will go very well....we can score tires no doubt about that...no worries there at all...need consistent good defending!
[img]http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7238/stormef5.gif[/img]

[b]PROUD MELBOURNE STORM SUPPORTER[/b]
Lord Reynoldson
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

At our current scoring rate we will end up with 972 points this season, the best attacking display in a season ever. Of course, I'm really hoping our goalkicking improves so that we can crack the 1000. :lol:

Okay, so maybe we won't score 40 points every game, but I am confident in saying that some teams will still be chasing 162 points 4 more rounds down the track. :D
Glory, Glory to South Sydney!