Round 9 vs Gold Coast Titans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sua coming off the second time was interesting…Shawn Blore came back on for him

Just a confusing game
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah need to know what happened both times with Sua. We might be in a bit of trouble if he can’t play next week.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

blazza18 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:05 pm Yeah need to know what happened both times with Sua. We might be in a bit of trouble if he can’t play next week.

ABC radio said he was taken off the second time just in case he was asked to go for a second HIA. If he'd gone for a second HIA he will be forced to stand down the following week.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Supposedly Hughes got hurt too, may miss some weeks. Not sure about the injury, waiting on the presser to shed some light.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:58 pm

Best way to describe the 2nd half was we were simply out enthused , they had more energy and determination than us to try and win the game, luckily we had a decent lead to hang onto but it was worrying viewing.

This might seem like an uncomfortable statement but I wonder if we're starting to see a drop in standards and effort (not to the depths of Soufs of course) and professionalism?

Yourhero, I think you were at the game, what did you see? Are we as a complete team putting in or are we relying on individual efforts and brilliance?
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

CB press conference quotes on injuries.

- Papi going for scans, not going to speculate how bad it is but mentioned the previously inserted screws in that ankle and didn’t sound very optimistic.

- Sua came off with a knee complaint, again not too sure of severity until he gets scans.

- *edit* Hughes felt a calf injury in the first 10 minutes and soldiered on, Bellamy not sure how he will pull up for next week.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I just got home so have only just read about the game. Meaney played fullback all last year why did he not play there.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Awful win. Plot lost when Paps went off and Sua had HIA 1.

Lots of room for improvement.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullucked wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:34 pm
This might seem like an uncomfortable statement but I wonder if we're starting to see a drop in standards and effort (not to the depths of Soufs of course) and professionalism?

Yourhero, I think you were at the game, what did you see? Are we as a complete team putting in or are we relying on individual efforts and brilliance?
Tonight definitely wasn’t good.

We missed 44 tackles (+13 ineffective) - the most we have missed in a game this year. AJ Brimson cut us to shreds.

It seemed like we were out out-enthused most of the night, made silly errors and didn’t have the defensive might to back up those errors.

We had a couple of rough calls go against us, but we also benefited from some rubbish calls that patched up how poor we were. That strip at the end was ridiculous. The obstruction was questionable.

I need to watch a replay, but having calmed a little and had a look at the injuries we sustained - the result might not be as bad as I initially thought (specifically for this game). I heard Bellamy say that Hughes damaged his calf early on and toughed it out. Add Paps and Sua to the list and it becomes a little more understandable. Moving forward though, we may be in for a real tough patch if we can’t keep our blokes on the park.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Having said all of that, our forwards are still lacking something. I love both of our edges, but the props need to lift IMO. Katoa is our toughest running forward every single week.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Another frustrating night. Had a ten or fifteen minute purple patch and that was it.

Having said that the injuries obviously hurt us.

Team definitely is resilient to be able to hang on in these close matches. But our lapses will be found out come finals time.

Find it funny that people on social media are blaming the strip call at the end as the difference. I agree it was a horrible call but Titans had to go 70 metres in just over a minute from that.

Plus let's not forget that Sami for his try bounced the ball more than the West Indies fast bowlers in the 1980s.

Joe Chan did a couple of good things, saved the attempted try at the end and also shut down a break down the wing.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kettles wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:40 pm McDonald. You’re a long way from the finished article. There’s got to be a better option that him. Plank.
I assume this comment was made after he got held up.

Kettles, you must be watching different games than me. I think MacDonald always runs hard and usually falls on his front and makes a quick play the ball.

Tonight he had 35 post contact metres with only King and Loiero with 36 post contact metres with more for the Storm.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We get a lot of tries a tackle or two after a MacDonald run because of those quick play the balls and he's starting to offload too which makes him even more dangerous
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:23 am We get a lot of tries a tackle or two after a MacDonald run because of those quick play the balls and he's starting to offload too which makes him even more dangerous
He’s an absolute weapon. Give him a year or two and he’ll be starting.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Joe Chan has been charged with dangerous contact. If he pleads guilty he gets fined $1,000. If he fights and loses it is a $1,500 fine.