Round 7 vs Sydney Roosters

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Round 7
Thursday 18/4/24 @ 7:50pm
Allianz Stadium, Sydney
Odds - Storm $1.93 Roosters $1.91

Predicted Line Ups -

Melbourne Storm

1. Ryan PAPENHUYZEN
2. Will WARBRICK
3. Reimis SMITH
4. Nick MEANEY
5. Xavier COATES
6. Cameron MUNSTER
7. Jahrome HUGHES
8. Christian WELCH
9. Harry GRANT (c)
10. Josh KING
11. Elise’s KATOA
12. Shawn BLORE
13. Trent LOIERO

14. Bronson GARLICK
15. Nelson ASOFA-SOLOMONA
16. Alec MACDONALD
17. Joe CHAN

18. Tyran WISHART
19. Jack HOWARTH
20. Marion SEVE
21. Tepai MOEROA
22. Jonah PEZET

Sydney Roosters

1. James TEDESCO (c)
2. Daniel TUPOU
3. Joey MANU
4. Joseph SUAALII
5. Fetalaiga PAUGA
6. Luke KEARY
7. Sam WALKER
8. Jared WAREA-HARGREAVES
9. Brandon SMITH
10. Lindsay COLLINS
11. Nat BUTCHER
12. Angus CRICHTON
13. Victor RADLEY

14. Sandon SMITH
15. Terrell MAY
16. Naufahu WHYTE
17. Egan BUTCHER

Injuries

Nelson Asofa-Solomona and Bronson Garlick look to get their first taste of 1st grade this week, with an unfortunate calf injury to Tui Kamikamika against the Bulldogs paving the way for their potential return. For the Roosters James Tedesco and Sam Walker both return to a lethal line up after being stood down last round for concussion protocols.

Stat attack

Storm hold a good record against the Roosters, winning 29 of 48 games against them, we also beat them twice late in the 2023 season, ending their year in week 2 of the finals with a last minute try, I’m sure the chooks will be out for revenge, look for Brandon Smtih to have a big game against his former club after having a disrupted 1st season in Sydney.

Prediction

I’m expecting a close game, with the Storm continuing its trend of tight finishes, I can see defence taking priority in this one. Munster to have a blinder and NAS reminds us what he is capable of announcing himself back onto the big stage.

Storm 16 Roosters 10
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't see Wishart getting dropped. He covers the halves too in case Munster goes down and he's played well this year.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:07 am I don't see Wishart getting dropped. He covers the halves too in case Munster goes down and he's played well this year.
Very possible, Tyran has been solid when called upon, I just think last season we saw Craig used Bronson for the majority of games in that utility role, and as mentioned in another thread the tactic to start Garlick ahead of Grant was very effective too.

I guess with halves coverage we have plenty who can step in, if Munster went down for instance Grant could play in the halves with Garlick at 9.

Either way it’s nice to have a full contingent to pick from, I just think we lacked some size and aggression on the weekend and adding NAS, Chan and Garlick will go a long way to remedying that.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Second week in a row I've wondered why nrl.com have put up an early preview for a game :-?

The push for Garlick is a bit weird to me tbh. He hasn't done enough to warrant pushing him for a spot. I think there are benefits to playing Harry less and maybe that's why it was "effective" when we did that but to me the other hooker needs to be creative or a hit man defensively. Otherwise you're just wasting 20 minutes with one of your best players and now captain on the bench for no reason.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

blazza18 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:12 am Second week in a row I've wondered why nrl.com have put up an early preview for a game :-?

The push for Garlick is a bit weird to me tbh. He hasn't done enough to warrant pushing him for a spot. I think there are benefits to playing Harry less and maybe that's why it was "effective" when we did that but to me the other hooker needs to be creative or a hit man defensively. Otherwise you're just wasting 20 minutes with one of your best players and now captain on the bench for no reason.
NRL.com should be contacting me shortly for a job :lol:

Yeah I’m not saying Garlick is a better footballer than Wishart or even that he should definitively be in the 17, I’ve just noticed Harry looking flat in spots having to play the full 80, having Garlick on the bench alleviates that.

Strange that a tactic that was used so frequently and successfully last season seems “weird” to you this season though.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:29 amStrange that a tactic that was used so frequently and successfully last season seems “weird” to you this season though.
I said your push for Garlick was weird. Both because Wishart has been totally fine in his minimal role and that whatever success came from starting Garlick last season had very little to do with him personally.

Harry should be playing less and we should have an actual planned out hooker rotation but to me starting him on the bench is a no go.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

My memory is sketchy, but I think we only used that Grant off the bench replacing Garlick maybe 3-4 times last year. Wasn't like it happened every week.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Agreed, I’m all for less minutes for Harry to make him more effective. If that’s one of Bronson, Tyran or possibly Sua taking that burden is up to CB, I guess of the 3 it depends which way you want to play it, obviously Bronson is built for that first 20, Sua would be useless at 9 early, Wishart doesn’t impress me at 9 but I like his utility value and he does give us a nice boost late on in games.

Tactics definitely determine who of the 3 gets that utility spot. Doesn’t have to be a locked in guy, rotation depending on the opposition is a nice luxury to have.
Stormhunter
Squall
Squall

CB said in his presser that because Wishart has only been playing minimal minutes he'll need to go back to reggies at some point just to get some game time.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Stormhunter wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:18 pm CB said in his presser that because Wishart has only been playing minimal minutes he'll need to go back to reggies at some point just to get some game time.
Whoever that’s with 🤷‍♀️
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Official Teams

Storm team: 1. Ryan Papenhuyzen 2. William Warbrick 3. Reimis Smith 4. Nick Meaney 5. Xavier Coates 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 9. Harry Grant 10. Josh King 11. Shawn Blore 12. Eliesa Katoa 13. Trent Loiero 14. Tyran Wishart 15. Christian Welch 16. Joe Chan 17. Alec MacDonald 18. Grant Anderson 19. Jack Howarth 20. Kane Bradley 21. Jonah Pezet 22. Chris Lewis

Roosters team: 1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Michael Jennings 4. Joseph Manu 5. Joseph-Aukuso Suaalii 6. Connor Watson 7. Luke Keary 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Brandon Smith 10. Lindsay Collins 11. Nat Butcher 12. Angus Crichton 13. Victor Radley 14. Zach Dockar-Clay 15. Naufahu Whyte 16. Egan Butcher 17. Terrell May 18. Fetalaiga Pauga 19. Dylan Napa 20. Max McCathie 21. Benaiah Ioelu 22. Sam Walker

Referee - Ashley Klein :'( :'( :'(

Great to see NAS and Chan back in the 17!!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tepai Moeroa injured ?
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:36 pm Tepai Moeroa injured ?
Back injury
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Would've made way for NAS regardless.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bloody Klown.
We'll be playing against 14 all game.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately