Round 5 vs Broncos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Big bounce back expected on Thursday night, fresh off the bye back at home burning after a poor showing against the Knights I’m expecting our absolute best against the old rivals from Brisbane.

Frank Ponissi said today that Munster is likely if he pulls up well tomorrow, along with Hughes Welch Chan and Reimis being back. Sua is a probably another week away whilst NAS may or may not get another week in NSW Cup, I’d expect to see something like this named based off that information:

1. Ryan PAPENHUYZEN
2. Xavier COATES
3. Reimis SMITH
4. Nick MEANEY
5. Will WARBRICK
6. Cameron MUNSTER
7. Jahrome HUGHES
8. Tui KAMIKAMIKA
9. Harry GRANT (c)
10. Josh KING
11. Joe CHAN
12. Elisea KATOA
13. Trent LOIERO

14. Tyran WISHART
15. Christian WELCH
16. Alec MACDONALD
17. Shawn BLORE

18. Nelson ASOFA-SOLOMONA
19. Jonah PEZET
20. Kane BRADLEY
21. Bronson GARLICK
22. Mario SEVE
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

OFFICIAL 17

1. Ryan PAPENHUYZEN
2. Will WARBRICK
3. Reimis SMITH
4. Nick MEANEY
5. Xavier COATES
6. Cameron MUNSTER
7. Jahrome HUGHES
8. Tui KAMIKAMIKA
9. Harry GRANT (c)
10. Josh KING
11. Shawn BLORE
12. Elisea KATOA
13. Trent LOIERO

14. Tyran WISHART
15. Christian WELCH
16. Tepai MOEROA
17. Alec MACDONALD
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Broncos Team

1. Tristan Sailor 2. Jesse Arthars 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Selwyn Cobbo 5. Deine Mariner 6. Ezra Mam 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Corey Jensen 9. Billy Walters 10. Fletcher Baker 11. Jaiyden Hunt 12. Jordan Riki 13. Patrick Carrigan 14. Tyson Smoothy 15. Benjamin Te Kura 16. Kobe Hetherington 17. Corey Oates
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Still no NAS. Joe Chan absent as well.
I assume NAS will be named for the Bears. Joe?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gotta say, after coming in with such high regard, I was a little underwhelmed with Blore’s first hit out. Hopefully can build and get better.

Will be interesting to watch that starting edge backrower spot and what happens with it over the course of the year.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't think there's been any chemistry on our left edge yet. I'm hopeful once Munster comes back we can start seeing the combos work better. Both Blore and Chan also don't strike me as edges either but we'll see.

No NAS is interesting. Could mean anything.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:23 pm Gotta say, after coming in with such high regard, I was a little underwhelmed with Blore’s first hit out. Hopefully can build and get better.

Will be interesting to watch that starting edge backrower spot and what happens with it over the course of the year.
I wasn't overly impressed with him either. Hopefully he's better this time...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

After playing big minutes for the Bears last week, NAS not even being named is a real bad sign. Hope I’m wrong, but the smoke isn’t going away.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

NAS has been named to start for the Bears again this week, Frank did say he might need another week to get match fitness as he wasn’t overly happy with his NSW Cup stint.

Nelson has also reactivated his Instagram with all his Storm stuff back on there, I think all is well it’s purely down to match fitness.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

They were discussing NAS on NRL360, and basically what they have heard is Bellamy and the club weren’t happy with Nelson last season or his weight and basically told him to get fit in the pre season and he came back even heavier again, Bellamy won’t play him until he gets his fitness sorted out supposedly, interesting.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:15 pm They were discussing NAS on NRL360, and basically what they have heard is Bellamy and the club weren’t happy with Nelson last season or his weight and basically told him to get fit in the pre season and he came back even heavier again, Bellamy won’t play him until he gets his fitness sorted out supposedly, interesting.
Unwavering standards driven by Craig.

Every player knows, no matter who you are.....you don't take the Melbourne Storm for granted.

Good way to keep a successful culture intact ?
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yes sir, it seems no one is immune to the high standards the club has set, probably why Howarth can’t get a game either, no matter how talented if you don’t put in the work or have the dedication you won’t get the jersey.

To be fair to NAS he was injured and his story on IG he was working overtime in the ring doing some sparring and cardio, hopefully a sign he has taken this seriously and he will earn his place back in the side, a fit and firing NAS is always going to be a great weapon for us, hope to see him back soon.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:55 pm After playing big minutes for the Bears last week, NAS not even being named is a real bad sign. Hope I’m wrong, but the smoke isn’t going away.
He played 46 minutes …it’s hardly big minutes by his standard …give him a few weeks if he isn’t back in 2 then start to worry
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He doesn’t look fit enough to play btw so I get that he has to work his way back with the Bears. Just very interesting given the news that keeps getting repeated.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

46 minutes after supposedly returning from a hamstring injury is definitely big minutes.

Yep, seems this has been cleared up today with Craig’s media spot.

NAS came back not in good shape (injury didn’t help either). Told he needs to get fit before he will be in the team. Completely fair enough.

Less fact and more gut feel - It seems NAS kicked stones with how he dealt with it, rather than buckling down and getting on with it.

I agree with the sentiment above - standards above any individual player, regardless of greatness.