RD 3 vs Knights

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We possibly get back after the break:

Hughes
Munster
Fa’alogo
Asofa-Solomona
Welch
Chan
Smith
Garlick

Will make a huge difference ⚡️
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Can probably take something out of that. Effort was there - handling was just off and defence was a bit sloppy.

I think the late shuffling of the edges (including Smith going off) really made things difficult.

Halves were pretty bad. Passing was off. I think Wishart’s very good but he’s more of a runner than an organiser. Love how he straightens the attack and backs his ability to hit the line.

Loeiro’s handling was bad but he ran for more than 200 metres. He’s clearly becoming a better player and I think once he tightens up a few things he’ll be great.

Also - conceding just 40 points across three games is nothing to sneeze at. Bye may have come at a good time.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Nothing.

My mum always says "if you can't say anything nice about someone, say nothing".
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Down on healthy players
Small bench
Desperate opponent
Big home team support
No senior leaders

Think this loss was a good result.
First half was a bit embarrassing tbh, have they ever played together without the starting halves.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We lost 2 playing bad …I’ll take that
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I didn’t hate the two point field goal attempt at the end but if that’s the option we’re taking both Paps and Harry need to do a way better job setting it up. We’re still waiting on someone to step up post Cam retiring and take control/ownership of the team.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:19 pm We possibly get back after the break:

Hughes
Munster
Fa’alogo
Asofa-Solomona
Welch
Chan
Smith
Garlick

Will make a huge difference ⚡️
Will be interesting to see how many changes are made. Not sure making 7+ changes is the way to go, that can be pretty unsettling.

My guess is Welch, NAS and Hughes return for Moeroa, Bradley and Lewis.

Munster if available (I have my doubts) can play QRL. I am happy to keep playing Pezet for now. Munster is going to need to blow out some cobwebs. Sua to take Wishart's bench spot perhaps the week after.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would have thought that Leo Thompson's action against Paps in the air to take the kick should have been at least a 2 week suspension with a guilty plea or 3 if he fought it.

NRL head office are full of inconsistencies and contradictions.

They say they want to protect players at all costs but then don't to everything possible to try to stamp out dangerous contact.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/01/01/nrl ... d-details/

"Knights forward Leo Thompson is facing time on the sideline after being charged with Grade 2 Dangerous Contact following Sunday night's win over Melbourne.

The Kiwi International was placed on report in the 65th minute of the Round 3 match after making contact with Storm fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen in the air and faces a one-game suspension with an early guilty plea. "
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

When you put that incident alongside Gamble taking him out iff the ball and Jenkins shoving him into the advertising after the ball went dead, it looks very much like they thought their best way of winning was to injure the opposition's star player...
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mattpoet wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:12 pm When you put that incident alongside Gamble taking him out iff the ball and Jenkins shoving him into the advertising after the ball went dead, it looks very much like they thought their best way of winning was to injure the opposition's star player...
The Gamble hit was absolutely calculated - I was at the game and you should have seen the smirk on his face. He was happy to take the penalty. I think the Jenkins thing was just casual grubbiness, not targeted.

So, now we've established that incidental contact with a ref is worse than putting a player at real risk of a serious injury.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gamble is a grub. The only reason a club buys him is so he'll hurt other players
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Trent Loiero got the highest VB Hard Earned Index score in the entire NRL for his efforts against the Knights, very interesting. Just goes to show good footy isn’t always stat based!
CJB_1188
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:37 pm Trent Loiero got the highest VB Hard Earned Index score in the entire NRL for his efforts against the Knights, very interesting. Just goes to show good footy isn’t always stat based!
He worked his absolute ass off tbf, easily made the most meters out of our whole forward pack and made 35 tackles too. The only issue with Trent is his discipline
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Kane Bradley is obviously not a centre but geez that attempted tackle was, ordinary,

The second Knights try, I think someone else said it, Katoa needed to make more of an effort to get up and defend, but, this seems to be an accepted Bellamy trait, King and Trent also commonly get left behind the play the ball. (And it gives me the brace and bits) Our defenders were left two three and that close to the line you've got no chance. All credos to Ponger for seeing it.

The penalty goal, end on, did Warbrick really strip it out, anyone see?
Last edited by Bullucked on Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

CJB_1188 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:06 pm . The only issue with Trent is his discipline
To be fair, he commonly has his arm trapped between body and ball. If he pulls his arm out ball comes with it and he gets pinged. Leave his arm there and you see him looking pleadingly at the ref. It's obviously part of his technique that the coaching staff (and opposition) would be fully aware of