Round 2 - Storm vs Warriors @ AAMI Park

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We have some gifted wingers, Warbrick with 40 post contact meters and 100m+ run meters, great contribution

Xavier with his finish of course but only one hiccup and probably a dozen SJ bombs swallowed up easily.

Thought Reimis was a bit ... Meh... Tonight but maybe that's due to how electrifying Paps was all night and Meany was in the first half.

Halves were good, Pezet getting great experience. No perfect game but will only be better for it.

Katoa and Loiero with good work rates tonight and output, meters and tackles. Chan output a bit low but handy try assists!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

After the way we played most of the second half, we probably didn't deserve to win that. We missed Welch.

But oh my, what a finish and what a try by "Air" Coates. Almost defied biomechancis.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We were physically dominated for probably 60 minutes. Definitely need more from our forwards.

Welch getting HIA didn’t help, but we were once again looking for the cheap/easy option far too often, rather than knuckling down and fighting out of it.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Special finish. The Big X was unreal.

On the game let’s not forget our first 40 was quality. We were dominated in the 2nd half - missing NAS and some middle oomph there.

Great to get the W, things to improve for the future
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:10 pmThought Reimis was a bit ... Meh... Tonight but maybe that's due to how electrifying Paps was all night and Meany was in the first half.
Reimis needs to help out with a few more tough carries, but once again he made some excellent 1-1 tackles at crucial times. He also did very well in that try to get outside his man and give X a chance to pull off the spectacular.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Credit has to be given to Loiero too.

Led the pack with 155 metres. Had a heavy involvement and played 70 minutes in the middle.

He would’ve taken an extra workload after Welch was ruled out with a concussion after just managing 11 minutes.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yep, I was very critical of Loiero last year and the lack of attacking option he presented on an edge. Lock is definitely more suited to his game.

Loiero 155m
Katoa 100m

No other Storm forward made over 90m. That’s (still) a problem…
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Some very meh play but we won a couple of crucial moments and that really mattered in the end.

Papenhuyzen offloading to Hughes who broke the line for the Meaney try when we were on the back foot inside our own 20.

Hughes turning Montoya to deny the try just before half time.

Katoa and Hughes combining for the second Papenhuyzen try.

And the obvious one at the death with Coates scoring one of the most spectacular tries you could ever witness.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also is Meaney the most deceptively quick guy we've ever had. Never really looks like he's going that fast the way he runs but never seems to get caught from behind.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

riders of the storm wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:41 pm That was unbelievable. The guys has absolutely no business winning that.

Although they’ve had their ups and downs this win really shows why Bellamy has instilled so much confidence in Coates and Papenhuyzen. They’re match-winners.

Where do we rank that in the club’s comeback wins with seconds to go?

Storm vs Bulldogs 2006, Storm vs Sharks 2012, Broncos vs Storm 2008…
Surely Will Warbrick's try v Roosters in the finals last year has to be on this list.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And Tonumaipea vs Dragons in (2015?) would be up there too, when he scored after the siren.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Warriors 66% completion rate in the first half flattered us

We were shot whereas the Warriors were shot out of cannons in the second half. Needing three in every tackle when the big boppers are hurtling in to our line inevitably opens up the line with some passes. All our backs put their hands up in the second half whereas the forwards went totally missing. Set after set the first four hit ups were backs...

Ref seemed to be playing catch up with some seriously dubious stuff in the second.
Examples
1; A pet hate, and Trent was called for it, the arm gets locked in between ball carriers chest and ball, if he pulls his arm out penalty for stripping, crap
2; Another penalty for the fake leg pull (at least that's how it looked to me).
3; Harry getting done for passing it (deliberately it must be said) in to the player who is effectively blocking off half the field and slowing the play down
4; Sports ears hears the ref keep warning Johnson and the Warriors players but with no follow through

With the bombs to Coates I'm surprised the Warriors didn't compete rather than waiting to land and hammer him.

Yeah I know Welsh failed a HIA bit I'm left totally nonplussed with the forward rotations, going small in the second half effectively back fired. It was a win yes but I'd take it as a very lucky, although spectacular, win. Prefer to e up by twenty rather than needing 8 with three minutes to play. I'm sure I know what the coach and the club would want too...

Wonder what I'll be thinking once I've watched the replay!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It was nice to see us pull out the old outside, inside ball to the fullback to score two crucial tries. Thought even before the try Coates was offering us something he’s never done before in his running game. Very pleased with his development.

Worrying how much stronger and faster the Warriors looked for a fair chunk of that game. We couldn’t go with them at all as they were churning out 60m sets over and over. I think our effort was there we just lack “something” as a squad. Don’t want to fret too much about it as it’s only week two but after last season I still have some concerns.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:13 am Worrying how much stronger and faster the Warriors looked for a fair chunk of that game. We couldn’t go with them at all as they were churning out 60m sets over and over. I think our effort was there we just lack “something” as a squad. Don’t want to fret too much about it as it’s only week two but after last season I still have some concerns.
I'm hearing you, size, and we don't have it. (Oh, and aggression either)
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm assuming Welch has to miss next week, whi comes in for him? Moeroa? I want Bradley to get a run but it's not his position...