Round 1 vs Panthers @ AAMI Park

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Thought I would get the discussion under way for round 1

Melbourne Storm vs Penrith Panthers

Friday 8th March 2024

AAMI Park, Melbourne

8:05pm kick off

Predicted round 1 line ups -

Melbourne Storm

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Will Warbrick
3. Reimis Smith
4. Nick Meaney
5. Xavier Coates
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Josh King
9. Harry Grant (c)
10. Tui Kamikamika
11. Eli Katoa
12. Shawn Blore
13. Trent Loiero

14. Sua Fa’alogo
15. Joe Chan
16. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
17. Christian Welch

Team News: Newscorp have reported that Shawn Blore will join Katoa in the back row for round 1. Joe Chan has also impressed in the trials and has jumped the queue for a bench spot. They have also reported that Fa’alogo will be in the 17 somewhere and also confirmed Loiero being used as a middle forward.

Penrith Panthers

1. Dylan Edwards
2. Sunia Turuva
3. Izack Tago
4. Taylan May
5. Brian To’o
6. Jarome Luai
7. Nathan Cleary (c)
8. Moses Leota
9. Soni Luke
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Scott Sorensen
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Matt Eisenhuth
15. Lindsay Smith
16. Tyrone Peachey
17. Liam Henry

Team News : Newscorp have reported that Luai and Sorensen will be fit to start the season, but Penrith will be without Mitch Kenny for round 1 due to suspension for an off season indiscretion. The Panthers have a few niggles from the WCC loss to Wigan but are expected to be close to full strength to kick off the season.

Match Preview:

Another battle with the NRL powerhouse that is Penrith, the 3 time premiers are licking their wounds after a tough WCC loss and will be looking to hit back against an old foe. The 2020 premiership is still the only blemish on a dominant Panthers dynasty and there are always fireworks when these teams clash.

Penrith sent the Storm packing in last years Preliminary Final in embarrassing fashion and the boys will be keen to make amends. The team has never lost a round 1 game under Craig Bellamy and put that record on the line in the hardest possible start to the season.

Will Penrith be jet lagged and vulnerable after their trip to England or will they be fired up and take out their frustrations on us? After a decent pre season the boys look primed for a big 2024, I like us in a tight one.

Tip: Storm 18 Penrith 14

Betting odds

Storm - $2.15
Panthers - $1.70
sheet_ed
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Although he is not in the list when you listen to Joey Johns - he said that our season is awaiting the emergence of Jack Howarth. I have seen glimses, but he is low on 1st grade confidence. I wonder if there is background coaching talk that we/i am not aware of. He was picked for the NZ team after only playig one match. Our investment in him is very high so I hope he comes through.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Jack is an interesting one, I’m sure Bellamy is aware of the contract he is on and I’m sure he would love to use him and the only reason he isn’t getting picked is for some reason he isn’t up to NRL standard yet.

I’ve noticed he gets gassed quite quickly, and is pretty slow across the field, he might be too bulky & muscular he could be more effective and have more stamina if he slims down a bit, but I would love to see him finally live up to the hype.

It seems Bradley and Chan have even jumped him in the queue, again this is all conjecture for all we know Howarth may start next week.
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

Fox sports are reporting that due to aggravating an underlying calf issue at home, Munster may not play next Friday night. Not surprisingly Jonah Pezet is said to be the replacement if required.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

They’ve also ruled out Fa’alogo as he recovers from a shoulder injury, he is just starting contact work again and will be nursed in via the QLD Cup most likely.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sua being out at least delays the decision that will need to be made as to how we get him involved this season. Playing two smalls on the bench seens inevitable. Munster being hurt is frustrating. Hate to see him start the season not 100%.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Obviously Jonah Pezet isn’t as elite as Cam Munster but he has played a few trials and been really sharp. I’d probably prefer him at 100% and a few games into his pre-season than a 80% Munster who hasn’t played in match conditions for an age.

Pezet has a great long kicking game too which will be crucial in winning field position against a lethal Panthers team.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Watching Munster in his press conference today it doesn’t look good, he clarified it’s a groin issue he has not a calf problem, he did some work at training today but stated if he isn’t able to perform at 80% or better in training tomorrow he will pull the pin for this week and Pez will take over the 6.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Papenhuyzen23 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:06 pm Watching Munster in his press conference today it doesn’t look good, he clarified it’s a groin issue he has not a calf problem, he did some work at training today but stated if he isn’t able to perform at 80% or better in training tomorrow he will pull the pin for this week and Pez will take over the 6.
I'd like to think as a professional organisaation they'd have already "pulled the pin" and trained with Jonah all week
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A friend went to training yesterday she said Munny was in the rehab group all session with NAS

Jonah will play
sheet_ed
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

WHat is the problem with NAS?
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

Noone knows anything about NAS. The club has said about MUnster and Sua injuries, but nothing about NAS which i think is a big worry
I was suss when he didnt play any of the trials and the continued lack of info since is even more worrying. He is no chance of playing this week i reckon
He will be a bigger out then Munster. Jonah can do ok, but we dont have the forward depth.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Actually Bellamy has talked about NAS during his presser in Fiji just no one listened

I don’t know what his done but it’s been a multiple week injury ..hopefully his back in the next few weeks till then we’re down a forward
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Nelson Asofa-Solomona has been officially ruled out with a hamstring injury, won’t be named in the squad this week. He isn’t far off might be back next week or possibly a late inclusion in the QLD Cup.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Official team

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. William Warbrick
3. Reimis Smith
4. Nick Meaney
5. Xavier Coates
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Tui Kamikamica