Leadership group

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Does anyone know if we'll have the same leadership group this year?

What changes should be made?
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

In Craig’s recent interview with Brent Read ( an excellent journalist who gives us a fair go, in my opinion), he said there needed to be leadership improvements both on and off the field. As to on-field, he could of course mean that he expects a different approach from the encumbents, but I suspect it means there will be a reshuffle in personnel. As to who it might be, I have no idea , but it will be intriguing to see!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:00 pm In Craig’s recent interview with Brent Read ( an excellent journalist who gives us a fair go, in my opinion), he said there needed to be leadership improvements both on and off the field. As to on-field, he could of course mean that he expects a different approach from the encumbents, but I suspect it means there will be a reshuffle in personnel. As to who it might be, I have no idea , but it will be intriguing to see!
Despite all of us knowing it, we are constantly reminded that Cam was a once in a generation and in all reality, in the top half dozen inspirational leaders of men that rugby league has ever witnessed. Geeez…what I would give to go back to 2003 to see Cam and Billy commencing their careers all over again (sigh….)
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That Craig interview was interesting. He seemed very mad at someone (sounded more like a staff member than player) but wouldn't go into further detail.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wonder if we go with co captains again

Welch and Hughes or Welch and Munster

Grant and the leftover half as vice captains again

And then 2 or 3 others to round out the group, Papenhuyzen, Tui and King perhaps?
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:50 pm Munster

:lol:
Stormhunter
Squall
Squall

Does anyone have a link for the Bellamy interview? Cheers
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Here is one Brent Reed story. I can't do links and most of the time the story is locked to subscription only. I happy to share any story.

There was Penrith, Brisbane, daylight, then Melbourne. Storm coach Craig Bellamy reveals how the perennial contenders can have a shot at the title, as well as addressing his NRL future.
Melbourne have been perennial contenders but they are facing one of the most significant offseasons in their recent history as they look to close the gap to Penrith and Brisbane. Storm coach Craig Bellamy sat down with Brent Read to talk about chasing a fourth premiership.
Brent Read: Craig, you had a solid season – finishing third on the ladder – but couldn’t keep pace with Brisbane and Penrith in the finals. As you prepare for your 22nd season at the helm of the Storm, how quickly are you able to move on from finals exits?
Craig Bellamy: You have to move on at some stage. Having said that, I have always looked and hopefully learned something off bad situations and also good situations. Summing up our year, the guys did a good job to finish where we did on the table. At the moment, the Broncos and Penrith are a bit ahead of everyone else. Everyone else is trying to narrow the gap. They are ahead of us in certain areas so we have to try to find a way to close that gap. We did a pretty good job to get to where we did – third on the ladder – but really disappointed with how we did go out against those two teams. They were very dominant in the finals in the end in the games against us. That was the big thing.
BR: How do you close the gap?
CB: There are a few things. Physically, I think they were fairly dominant, those sides. We need to be better with our leadership and that is part of educating some of our players, but also a bit of education for us too in how we need to fast-track our players to be leaders. That is one of the things we need to look at this year.
BR: A few years back you made some changes when you felt like the club had lost your way. You turned around and won the comp within a year or two. Is it fair to say you are in a similar situation – as in it feels like the team needs an attitude shift?
CB: That would be fair. That is not just our players, that is everyone at the club. I need to do that myself, to be honest. There are some things where if we had last year over again – if we could start again – there would be some things I would do differently. I just know for me, I find it hard to change things during the season. At times, most of the time, I am focused on the now. I find it hard to look too far ahead. There are some other guys in the club who are good at that. But if we had the season over again, there are some things I would do differently.
BR: Can you go into specifics?
CB: As I said, there would be a couple of things leadership-wise through the club. Not just the players. Also, there are a couple of other things I don’t really want to make public. Again, you’re not going to throw everything out. At the end of the day, there are a couple of little things we can do better. That is what it is about. Hopefully we can close that gap or go part way to closing that gap between the top two and us.
BR: When you stack the side up, there is still a lot of quality. The spine is as good as anyone, especially if Ryan Papenhuyzen comes back and is the player he was before injury struck him down?
CB: I don’t think there were some of our players who played as well as they are capable of playing. We have to find why that is and find ways to work that out. To lose the players we did at the start for last year, we knew it wasn’t going to be an easy ride. But as I said, if we could go back to the start of last year, there would be some things we would do differently.
BR: Speaking of Papenhuyzen, he seems in a good place. Getting him back would be huge but you also have young Sua Faalogo coming through. In your head do you know how you will use them?
CB: There is no use putting things in cement. The way the cards will get dealt with Paps is going to decide a fair bit. We have come this far with him and he has come this far, we are not going to take any risks with him. The other cards should fall into place once we have that sorted out.
BR: Talking about young Sua, he is such an exciting talent. He made his debut at the end of last season and looked electric. Do you need to find a way to get him involved more next year?
CB: He has played what, the one first grade game. He has played a couple of games for Samoa. That is not much experience at the top level. We will do what we think is right for the team and what is right for him as well. He is sharp with his speed and his footwork, but he is still learning the game. It is not an easy position to play, especially at NRL level. To get in the grind of that is another thing young players have to get used to. But we’re excited to have him in our team and he is a local kid, too. There is a fair bit of hype around him – hopefully he can live up to that. We will do what is right for the team and especially what is right for him.
BR: What about your future – is it going to drag it out again?
CB: We will see how things go and go from there. But I think this is going to be my last year – that is what I said last year, too. We will see what happens.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Here is the other Brent Read story.

If you listen to the critics, the Storm’s issues will finally be too much for them to overcome. BRENT READ explains what Melbourne need to do to re-establish themselves as an NRL power.
If you listen to the critics, the Melbourne Storm have an oversupply of fullbacks, their forward pack has been exposed as lacking depth and they’ve failed to rectify their issues in the free agency market.
But a deeper look at the Storm’s fortunes reveals a rich nursery with some impressive young talent on the improve, arguably the best spine in the NRL and a coach with a knack of identifying issues and fixing them in a single pre-season.
BRENT READ examines the Storm’s bid to reassert themselves as an NRL powerhouse.
2024 squad
Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Joe Chan, Xavier Coates, Bronson Garlick, Harry Grant, Jack Howarth, Jahrome Hughes, Tui Kamikamica, Eliesa Katoa, Josh King, Trent Loiero, Alec MacDonald, Nick Meaney, Cameron Munster, Justin Olam, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Aaron Pene, Jonah Pezet, Marion Seve, Reimis Smith, Will Warbrick, Christian Welch, Tyran Wishart
Best 17
1 Ryan Papenhuyzen
2 Xavier Coates
3 Nick Meaney
4 Marion Seve
5 Will Warbrick
6 Cameron Munster
7 Jahrome Hughes
8 Christian Welch
9 Harry Grant
10 Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11 Eliesa Katoa
12 Trent Loiero
13 Josh King
14 Su’A Fa’alogo
15 Bronson Garlick
16 Tui Kamikamica
17 Aaron Pene
2023 Rich 100 reps: 6
Cameron Munster (3, $1.25m), Jahrome Hughes (23, $900,000), Nelson Asofa-Solomona (25, $850,000), Ryan Papenhuyzen (31, $820,000), Christian Welch (92, $600,000), Harry Grant (94, $570,000)
Free agency wrap and rating
The Storm have been quiet in the player market but they have money to spend and are actively searching for a forward to strengthen them in the middle of the field. There are discussions around securing Wests Tigers forward Shawn Blore for next season, with Justin Olam potentially going the other way. If they can land one or two big bodies, their rating would get a serious upgrade.
Rating: D
Coach status and safety rating: Craig Bellamy (2024)
Bellamy has a rolling contract that leaves his future in his own hands. He was expected to walk away last year but went again and you can expect another guessing game early next season as he weighs up whether to continue in 2025. Assistants Jason Ryles and Marc Brentnall are waiting in the wings.
Rating: A+
Likely debutants: Angus Hinchey, Tristan Powell
The Storm handed debuts to some of their most exciting young talents at the back end of 2023 — Sua Fa’alogo, Joe Chan and Jack Howarth all got a shot at first grade.
Look for them to take another step in 2024.
The Storm also have high hopes for Angus Hinchey, a hardworking forward who was a member of the Queensland under-19 side last season. Tristan Powell is another who has caught the eye in the Brisbane Easts side that won the Queensland Cup.
Who takes the next step: Sua Fa’alogo
The electric fullback got a brief taste of first grade at the end of last season and then starred for Samoa in the Pacific Championships.
He has speed to burn and a nose for the tryline. He is ready to explode in 2024.
Burnings issues
How do they make the most of three fullbacks?
The Storm are blessed with three quality fullbacks in Ryan Papenhuyzen, Nick Meaney and Sua Fa’alogo. Papenhuyzen is expected to be fit for the start of the season and will automatically take back the No.1 jersey.
His reliable deputy, Meaney, is expected to move to the centres but the biggest question will be over their use of Fa’alogo, who is likely to play off the bench in a utility role.
The Storm have had success in the past with the use of their No.14 role. Harry Grant and Brandon Smith have both occupied that position previously, and Fa’alogo would give Melbourne serious excitement against tiring opposition.
Can they strengthen the middle of the field?
The Storm’s forward pack is bursting with quality, but they were caught out in the middle of the field when the whips were cracking at the end of last season.
The challenge will be finding a way to strengthen that department so they can compete with the big guns come finals time.
Captain Christian Welch has relinquished his position with the Rugby League Players Association to concentrate on re-establishing the Storm’s pack as a dominant power.
Who is their next coach?
The Storm have had just three coaches in their 25-year history. Craig Bellamy is on a rolling deal and, while it is dangerous to guess what he will do, his future will have significant ramifications for the club moving forward. No-one is more synonymous with the game in Victoria than Bellamy.
Crystal ball
Melbourne will be there and thereabouts. They always are. Their ability to take the next step will be the big question. They don’t need a major overhaul — some subtle changes should be enough to ensure they remain in the premiership mix.
In a boost for Storm plans, Bellamy has been doing just that in the off-season.
Finish the last five years
2023: 3rd (eliminated in third week of finals)
2022: 5th (eliminated in first week of finals)
2021: 1st (eliminated in third week of finals)
2020: 2nd (premiers)
2019: 1st (eliminated in third week of finals)
2024 NRL odds
Premiership: $13
Minor premiership: $12
Top four: $2.75
Top eight: $1.55
To miss the top eight: $2.25
To miss the top four: $1.38
Most losses: $67
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mattpoet wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:50 pm I wonder if we go with co captains again

Welch and Hughes or Welch and Munster

Grant and the leftover half as vice captains again

And then 2 or 3 others to round out the group, Papenhuyzen, Tui and King perhaps?
How about somebody other than Welch? Nice bloke, good player, but - like JBrom before him - not a leader.
IMO a good captain needs at least one of two attributes;
- the ability to lead a team around the park; directing, encouraging and chastising as necessary. Or
- the ability to lead by example. Hard work and the talent of picking the game up by the scruff of the neck and inspiring the team - I'm thinking the likes of Lazzo, Mooks, Tohu and Billy here. Think T in 1999.

While we are unlikely to see the like of Cam again (probably the best captain in the history of Australian rugby league) we need a leader who can direct, encourage and guide the team, and when needed inspire them. Like I said, nice bloke and good forward but Christian ain't that guy.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I just can't see him getting demoted from the captaincy though, much as I agree that Welch hasn't worked on field.

I do think he's a good public face of the club though which I don't think the others necessarily do as well. Can you have an on field captain that's separate from the off field captain so Welch handles the media appearances and post game etc but somebody else takes the lead on field? Might be worth considering
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

I'm thinking that a Welch ( for the public side of things and press conferences) and Munster (for the field as you often see him chastising when needed).

I can't see any one player capable of undertaking the Cameron Smith role of public face and on field coach surrogate.
Stormhunter
Squall
Squall

Thanks Glennb!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:41 pm I just can't see him getting demoted from the captaincy though, much as I agree that Welch hasn't worked on field.

I do think he's a good public face of the club though which I don't think the others necessarily do as well. Can you have an on field captain that's separate from the off field captain so Welch handles the media appearances and post game etc but somebody else takes the lead on field? Might be worth considering
Mattpoet great suggestion.
sheet_ed
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Welch looks like the "cool" type - you don't need/want a hot head in a bad situation not for the face of the club. He is very smart, articulate and with the media.

When JB left and the team was interviewed , without doubt, Welch was the most nominated BY THE PLAYERS.

Jarome is VC on the field when Welch is not there and commands respect.