Preliminary Final vs Panthers @ Accor Stadium

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Friday 22nd September 7:50 AEST @ Accor Stadium Homebush

Here we are again, another preliminary final for the Storm, now appearing in a crazy 8 of the last 9, recent form aside that is some kind of record and I applaud the lads for the effort.

This has been one of the weirder seasons we as Storm supporters have experienced, 3rd felt like a real overachievement based off the inconsistencies we saw on the paddock, but a tight last minute winner vs the Chooks has us up against a familiar foe.

Let’s not sugar coat it, the Panthers are absolutely lethal, we are already $5 outsiders and it could easily and justifiably be more, we have never been such big underdogs in such a big game, and we have our work cut out. Pressure is a funny thing though, and for once the weight of expectation isn’t all on us, does that play into our hands? Only time will tell.

Predicted Line-Ups:

Storm

1. Nick MEANEY
2. Xavier COATES
3. Reimis SMITH
4. Marion SEVE
5. Will WARBRICK
6. Cameron MUNSTER
7. Jahrome HUGHES
8. Christian WELCH (c)
9. Harry GRANT
10. Tui KAMIKAMIKA
11. Trent LOIERO
12. Elisea KATOA
13. Josh KING

14. Bronson GARLICK
15. Tariq SIMS
16. Nelson ASOFA-SOLOMONA
17. Tepai MOEROA

18th man - Tyran WISHART

Panthers

1. Dylan EDWARDS
2. Sunia TARUVA
3. Stephen CRICHTON
4. Izack TAGO
5. Brian TO’O
6. Jarome LUAI
7. Nathan CLEARY (c)
8. Moses LEOTA
9. Mitch KENNY
10. James FISHER-HARRIS
11. Liam MARTIN
12. Scott SORENSEN
13. Issac YEO

14. Tyrone PEACHEY
15. Spencer LEINU
16. Lindsay SMITH
17. Zac HOSKING

18th man - Soni LUKE
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Why Accor? Doesn’t give anyone an advantage and CommBank Stadium or Allianz Stadium are miles better and will both be better atmospheres with the smallish crowd I’d expect this game to pull in Sydney, weird.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The numbers from the second half at Marvel and first half in Penrith are so disgusting for us. We were about as uncompetitive as you can get. We were brutal defensively and couldn't hold on to the ball at all.

Faint bit of hope we have is the first 30 minutes at Marvel we really took it to them (and had a bit of luck which is something we haven't had against them). If we can do that for a longer stretch and hold onto the ball for once maybe we can push them until the end? The way the season has gone suggests you can't trust us doing that though.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Probably not. We need someone to score a hat trick a la Ieremia two years ago or something similar to have a chance I suspect
The Black Dot
Squall
Squall

I can't beleive how depressing it is to have so little faith that the team will be successful on Friday.

I 've followed Storm since the first game at the Graveyard and can't remeber ever being so depressed before a game . I'm thinking the the best outcome will be if we are at least competitive.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

The Black Dot wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:00 pm I can't beleive how depressing it is to have so little faith that the team will be successful on Friday.

I 've followed Storm since the first game at the Graveyard and can't remeber ever being so depressed before a game . I'm thinking the the best outcome will be if we are at least competitive.
Oh good grief people.
Storm have been - by far and away - the best team of the NRL era. We play finals every year, we've missed them three times in 26 years.
We knew this year was going to be a struggle given player turnover and injuries, and while we may have been less than impressed with some of the results, and disappointed with the performances of different players , we still only lost 6 regular season games and finished third.

Fans of almost every other club would give their eye teeth for our record.
We've had glimpses of brilliance from some of the young guys coming through and have plenty of reason to have high hopes for next year.

I've been critical too of players and performances, but overall we're going ok. Compared to 2010 this is a charmed life.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fair call TC. I mentioned the criticism of the Storm from fans on social media a few weeks to a mate. He supports Manly. He said it must be tough being in the top 4.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Brisbane Tigers just beat the minor premiers in the GF. Why can't the Storm beat the minor premiers?
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Early mail is Luai will be back but Tago (who tormented the Storm in that first game in Melbourne earlier this year) might sit out. That would see Garner potentially move into the centres or Peachey.

Hopefully Hughes is back. Their defence is phenomenal and it’ll take a lot to crack them.

I have faith the Storm will make a game of this. Despite losing 26-6 the last time these guys played I feel there were some positive signs.
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Anything can happen on game day. Panthers could go in cocky, have a bit of bad luck etc. We could play the game of the season.
We need to remember it was only a little while ago that the Eels, who missed the 8, managed to beat Penrith. Also, them having the wood on us recently doesn't mean jack... just look what happen with us v broncos.

Also, as TC said, given the players we lost at the end of last year, plus injuries etc, that we finished 3rd and only 2 wins behind 1st and have just made yet another preliminary final, we really should be proud of the team and everything they've achieved this year.

Give those arrogant panthers pricks hell!
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

riders of the storm wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:33 pm Early mail is Luai will be back but Tago (who tormented the Storm in that first game in Melbourne earlier this year) might sit out. That would see Garner potentially move into the centres or Peachey.

Hopefully Hughes is back. Their defence is phenomenal and it’ll take a lot to crack them.

I have faith the Storm will make a game of this. Despite losing 26-6 the last time these guys played I feel there were some positive signs.
Let's hope he plays and we can get a bit of traffic directed at him, wipe the smugg look of his face
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The game is won in the forwards. If our pack stick together. All play with the same intensity with an in their face mentality we are in with a good shot. It's got to happen otherwise no point watching after the 10th minute
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don’t think I can cope after grand final today
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lennart Bedrager wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:37 pm Anything can happen on game day. Panthers could go in cocky, have a bit of bad luck etc. We could play the game of the season.
We need to remember it was only a little while ago that the Eels, who missed the 8, managed to beat Penrith. Also, them having the wood on us recently doesn't mean jack... just look what happen with us v broncos.

What makes Penrith so good is they are the fittest and most consistent nrl side I’ve seen. Plus they get up for every game. Even our great teams didn’t do that.

Have to assume we’re going to do a ton of homework on how teams were able to get the better of them and we’re going to need to get creative. Can’t afford to get into a grind with them.
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Nailed it Blazza, as much as it’s Bellamy-Ball to try and out grind and out last opposition, it just doesn’t work against these guys from the foot of the mountains, you need electric play and you need to throw caution to the wind, high risk but high reward footy.

Parra killed Penrith with offloads and second phase play, you try and play safe 5 hit up & kick them to death style & they will just eat you up, we really need a change of tactics, all out attack, throw as many curve balls as we are capable of and hope it sticks, we play how we have the last few weeks we might as well not show up!

Penrith hunt in packs in the ruck like we used to and almost force you to play down the middle so they can just monster you and essentially choke you out of the contest, and they are damn good at it, unless we get some unpredictability into the side it’s going to end up a predictable result.