Papi is back!

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

NRL Physio clarified this further after speaking to Paps

Further info on this - “Paps mentioned a “knock” but mainly spoke about overtraining during the week after doing big GPS numbers last weekend. Reiterated in the grand scheme of things he’s fine, but need to manage training loads. Sounded to me like a minor knee flare up.”

I tend to agree if he is ruled out of action they may as well wrap him in cotton wool for the season, needs to play this week and continue on that upward trajectory to first grade if he is going to have any impact come finals time, any set back will be the end of his campaign I imagine.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He's playing for Falcons, kicked a conversion already
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He played the full 80, kicked a field goal in the last minute
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Excellent. Time to put on the 14 jersey for the Storm !
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Played the full 80 but workload down a lot from last week. Wonder how much that was due to his issue during the week? Not sure we have anymore clarity in how much closer he is to returning to first grade.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I guess interesting to note that Paps was the only storm listed player to not average 10m+ per run. Olam, Sua, Lewis, Pene, howarth, vaalepu, even wishart all achieved it and most did it easily. Paps just 7.5
Papenhuyzen23
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Let’s hope he pulls up ok! If he doesn’t play for us this week against the Titans put a line through him for the year, no way he is going to go into a finals series on just a single game of first grade from the bench, he needs to play off the bench this week and a full game vs the Broncos for mine to be any chance at lining up for us in the finals series, it might already be getting too close only a fortnight out from the finals, this week is definitely make or break for Paps season, now the Falcons are in the finals do they leave him there and just let him get some km’s in the legs and give him a full offseason to get right for round 1 next year? It’s a tricky one team list Tuesday will be interesting.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm assuming he'll be named but the decision will be made after captains run
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A girl I know went to watch him play yesterday she’s a nurse so asked him about how he was she said his knee was really really swollen after the game …she asked if it had been like that after every game he said yes he just needs to ice it and look after it …said he Proberly won’t train till the back end of the week this week as last week he trained too much

If he plays for us he plays Sat if he plays for falcons it’s on Sunday…might be better for him to play on Sunday and give his knee the extra day to rest
Lennart Bedrager
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Don't see paps doing 80 minutes at fullback at nrl level this year. Especially given the lift in intensity that comes in the finals.
Best case i think he'll be used as an impact player, which could actually be a better result than trying to rush him into fulltime fullback duties
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Will trust Paps and the medical staff but I’m pretty concerned about that knee now.

If he is fit enough to play I’m also worried about how we fit him into the team. It’s very easy to say bring him off the bench but what’s his role going to be?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:24 pm Will trust Paps and the medical staff but I’m pretty concerned about that knee now.

If he is fit enough to play I’m also worried about how we fit him into the team. It’s very easy to say bring him off the bench but what’s his role going to be?
Back up hooker / utility back. Bring him on to roam middle of field to try and expose tired defenders after 30 minutes.

Grant Anderson was named on the bench earlier in the season. I would see Pappy taking Garlick (or Wishart) spot on the bench.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:47 pm
blazza18 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:24 pm Will trust Paps and the medical staff but I’m pretty concerned about that knee now.

Back up hooker / utility back. Bring him on to roam middle of field to try and expose tired defenders after 30 minutes.

Grant Anderson was named on the bench earlier in the season. I would see Pappy taking Garlick (or Wishart) spot on the bench.
Would like to point out that Wishart and Garlick have combined for 15 games this season with single digit possessions. Paps coming back would be completely different and be a fairly big adjustment for everybody. There is a risk where it ends up a bit like the end of the 2021 season.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think it is different to 2021. 2021 we were setting the world on fire and for finals we moved Pappy back to fullback and moved Nicho to the bench from memory. I wouldn't necessarily say that is the reason we lost the preliminary that year anyway, we couldn't hold the ball

We are not exactly setting the world on fire this year, albeit we are still in the top 4 at the moment.

As Garlick and Wishart haven't necessarily been giving us a heap of output, I think Pappy could take that position with no significant problem and a significant upside. Plus if he is coming off the bench in a roaming role the players who have been playing in the back 5 are not significantly impacted.

The level of consistency we have been playing with this year, makes me think we need something different to challenge Panthers and Broncos over 4 weeks of finals.

Could be just the X factor we need.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:18 pm The level of consistency we have been playing with this year, makes me think we need something different to challenge Panthers and Broncos over 4 weeks of finals.
Could be just the X factor we need.
It might be the "X" factor we need (don't tell Coastes) but I feel we'd be more likely clutching at straws. A massive lift from all our forwards consistently would be good, Oh, and a subtle change to the game plan too would be nice. A kick in behind with Paps chasing through on the second and third and throw the defensive line in to doubt as to what is coming next time.