2020 Grand Final - Panthers vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I find it interesting that all the build up conversation so far is how the team who finished first and won 17 games in a row can cause the upset. Very little on how the other team is suppose to stop the win streak going to 18.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Had this been a traditional grand final with the build up and huge crowd I'd be much more confident in our chances - I'd say the young Panthers team would struggle to maintain composure compared to our seasoned players.

However, the reduced crowd will level the playing field.

Last week it was abundantly clear that NAS starting strong was one of, if not the biggest, factor in us getting early points and smothering Canberra. It is the key to this week too.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2 ... c6e0a7bf3b

Paul Gallen: Why Cameron Smith won’t retire after the Grand Final even if Storm win

Paul Gallen believes Cameron Smith will not announce his retirement after the Grand Final in order to avoid the inevitable media and fan backlash.

Mark St John
Fox Sports
21 October 2020

Paul Gallen believes Cameron Smith will not announce his retirement after the Grand Final in order to avoid the inevitable media and fan backlash.

The Smith retirement circus has travelled along all season and while his intentions are obviously to put the team first, the Storm skipper would be blasted if he hung up the boots officially on grand final day.

“I don’t think it would be a bad thing but it’s tall poppy syndrome when it comes to Cameron Smith and I think if he did do something like that, the media and a fair few people would get stuck into him [for] ‘trying to make it all about him’,” Gallen said on Wide World of Sports radio.

“He’s already had that tag this week, he’s trying to make it all about him by not making the decision and letting everybody ask all the questions.

“I don’t think he will [make an announcement post-grand final]. A part of me really believes he doesn’t know what he wants to do.”

A super competitor it is hard not to read between the lines by suggesting Smith craves one more premiership title before retiring.

That is why if he loses to the Panthers Smith has left the door open to go around again in 2021, but Gallen believes it will not come to that.

“I’m going to go the Melbourne Storm,” Gallen said of his tip for the decider.

“I just think that they will not beat themselves, they will not give the Panthers that many opportunities.

“Penrith last week did not complete well at all [in beating South Sydney], I don’t know if they can turn that around in one week and I think that the Storm have got their defence back in order.

Only 10 points against last week [to beat Canberra], they will give the Panthers absolutely nothing and I think they’ll get the win.

“The Clive Churchill will be Cameron Smith; the only thing he hasn’t done. And he’ll sail off into the sunset and retire but he won’t announce it until probably January.”

However Gallen believes Smith when he says that he doesn’t know what he is going to do and wouldn’t be surprised if he plays on if the Storm lose to the Panthers.

“I knew that [final] season I didn’t want to play anymore. I didn’t want to go to training, do the contract at training. I didn’t want to get hammered in the game anymore and that’s something I really loved right throughout my career,” Gallen said.

“Cameron Smith is still doing everything so great. I still think he’s probably the best player in the game; he’s definitely the best No.9 in the game.

“He could certainly go on if he wanted to but we don’t know what’s going on inside his head. We don’t know how his body feels.

“I genuinely don’t think he knows what he wants to do.”
Mstorm1999
Squall
Squall

Rain and wind forecasted for the granny, hope the boys a preparing for a wet windy game while training up there on the sunny dry coast.

Has me nervous dry weather suits our style of play a lot more.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... rand-final

In their pre-game analysis, both Matty Elliott and Jamie Soward have tipped the Storm in the GF.

Kikau does give them a big in... Not just his damaging running game, but the fact that he will draw Brenko Lee in field and then create the overlap. Our guys will need to be pushing hard from the inside.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Yeah I woudl prefer a dry game too, I'm we'll be ready regardless
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Actually Joey JOhns mentioned that we have are 7 out of 7 in wet games, thought a wet game suited us more.
roostermcgregor
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Hey Storm guys,
I am a Roosters supporter and came on your site last year when the Roosters knocked you out in the Prelim.
I was at the SCG that day, and after the game, I thought NAS showed great sportsmanship by mingling with the Roosters crowd/ supporters and taking photos with them.
I mentioned that on your forum, and said it was only a matter of time before you achieved success.
Fast forward 12 months, and you are in the GF, and IMO your side has the toughest forwards and most electrifying backs in the comp- you showed it last week against the Raiders.
You are primed to win the GF - and you should back your team with confidence and pull out all stops to go and see them in action.
Believe me , nothing is better than watching you team win the competition and being at the game.
I am reading the comments on this forum , and a lot of you are worried about past performances - forget it, its in the past.
I can sense that your individual team players remember the 2018 GF (where you got shut out of the game) - it will be so painfully etched in your players minds that they will have learned from that, and they know exactly what is needed to inflict the same pain on the Panthers on Sunday.
There's aggression that your forwards show, and its filtering through to defence in your backs. Its the formula that wins premierships- I saw it before in the Roosters.
Therefore, you have no reason to be hesitant- Back your team !!!
PS - Even nearly all of the Roosters supporters our forum (the Chookpen) reckon you guys will win it easily , they have more confidence in your side than you guys have !
Since I support the Roosters, I might not like your side , but I respect your toughness.
I am going to Sunday's game and will be backing your team - probably the main reason is that I have put some money on a few bets on your side, and hope to gain financially from the result.
Go the Storm - hope you obliterate the Panthers !!!
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Thanks Rooster, I think people on here don't want to be overconfident. Overall I agree with your prediction and do believe we are the better side, I have to remember that it's a one off game and anything can happen,
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

roostermcgregor wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:14 am Hey Storm guys,
I am a Roosters supporter and came on your site last year when the Roosters knocked you out in the Prelim.
I was at the SCG that day, and after the game, I thought NAS showed great sportsmanship by mingling with the Roosters crowd/ supporters and taking photos with them.
I mentioned that on your forum, and said it was only a matter of time before you achieved success.
Fast forward 12 months, and you are in the GF, and IMO your side has the toughest forwards and most electrifying backs in the comp- you showed it last week against the Raiders.
You are primed to win the GF - and you should back your team with confidence and pull out all stops to go and see them in action.
Believe me , nothing is better than watching you team win the competition and being at the game.
I am reading the comments on this forum , and a lot of you are worried about past performances - forget it, its in the past.
I can sense that your individual team players remember the 2018 GF (where you got shut out of the game) - it will be so painfully etched in your players minds that they will have learned from that, and they know exactly what is needed to inflict the same pain on the Panthers on Sunday.
There's aggression that your forwards show, and its filtering through to defence in your backs. Its the formula that wins premierships- I saw it before in the Roosters.
Therefore, you have no reason to be hesitant- Back your team !!!
PS - Even nearly all of the Roosters supporters our forum (the Chookpen) reckon you guys will win it easily , they have more confidence in your side than you guys have !
Since I support the Roosters, I might not like your side , but I respect your toughness.
I am going to Sunday's game and will be backing your team - probably the main reason is that I have put some money on a few bets on your side, and hope to gain financially from the result.
Go the Storm - hope you obliterate the Panthers !!!
Thanks mate, appreciate it.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cheers, Rooster. I hope you are on the money.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kamikamica and Jacks drop out
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I really feel for Tui. He put in so much effort to come back from back surgery and play, only to be injured again. He was our best forward in the opening couple of weeks and I think had he been injury free through 2020, would be playing in the GF.

Not that I begrudge anyone in the 17 of their spot. It all makes sense where we are, I still feel for the big fella.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Game Day. I am f'ing excited
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So last spot seems to be between Hynes and Eisenhuth, who gets it I wonder.