Round 19 - Storm vs Tigers

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Utha
Squall
Squall

Happy to stitch up second, fair effort given the circumstances surrounding this season.

That anticipated first final against the Roosters is a doozy, though. Can we beat them three times in the one season? 🤔
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Utha wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:39 pm Happy to stitch up second, fair effort given the circumstances surrounding this season.

That anticipated first final against the Roosters is a doozy, though. Can we beat them three times in the one season? 🤔
The bigger question maybe, can we beat them four times in one season
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullucked wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:15 pmThe Tigers first try, with our defensive style where did it it fall down? Suli had no choice but to take take the inside man, was it a problem with the inside players (I think Tino) not working hard enough to push out? Is this justifiably attributable to the fullback? (Given the speed of the play I don't think so and besides, the fullback was nowhere to be seen). I'm not for one minute critical of Nicho because I think he has the goods, I think his timing of passes is beautiful. Dare I say it, he has deft hands.

Some soft stuff let up through the middle, and after Suli went off a centre playing on the wing was shown up
It was a beautifully worked play by the Tigers. The speed at which they hit the winger was crucial. It took Hynes completely out of play. Slater himself couldn’t have got there for that one. The speed of the shift also took the possibility for any cover defence out of action.

We simply didn’t number up well. Jesse and Tino should have pushed out hard as soon as Grant threw the long ball.

Usually on our try line we play up and in defence. This play though had us standing flat footed in the backline whilst the Tigers players were at top speed. Personally I think Hughes should have been pushing up and pressuring Benji instead of sitting back and waiting.

I can live with that try. What is harder to stomach is the Aloiai try where he brushes Kenny aside like a fly.
Utha
Squall
Squall

Bullucked wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:59 pm
Utha wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:39 pm Happy to stitch up second, fair effort given the circumstances surrounding this season.

The bigger question maybe, can we beat them four times in one season
I had thought about that - yes, the fourth meeting would be the GF.

Guess I‘m just a little bit wary of looking that far ahead.
moffla
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Well - I'm certainly comfortable with our attacking prowess leading into finals, but the defence is a big worry.
Some seriously uncharacteristic misreads for some of their tries. I hope it's just complacency, Bellamy will fix that in no time!

Absolute shame JAC is off next year, he's hit another level...hope he continues to kill it wherever he ends up.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Loving the highlights package of this game. Some of our attach was exceptional.

That move that Olam put on Leilua to set up the fox was filthy!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Speaking of Leilua, how much did Olam have it over him in that game?
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Olam has been great, I wasn;t fully convinced earlier this season but he has taken his game to another level.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bullucked wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:15 pm
When are players going to realise their value in specific positions, be it Wing or Bench? Opening up a can of worms here maybe but Josh, you're a Winger and Brandon a bench player. The value these players bring to these positions is just as important and immense as a so called "coveted" starting position. Starting Hooker or Fullback may seemingly attract a bigger pay check but it should not. Good luck next year Josh. To borrow an old Commonwealth Bank Add, stick with the strength.
I agree, and I guess that what someone like Brandon has to weigh, challenge for premierships coming off the bench, or regularly start but in a mediocre team.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm