Round 17 - Souths v Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

RobbieRoss wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:12 am
Commentators should not be cheerleaders .
I got stuck with the channel Nein coverage. Freddy was backing Souths home like the favourite in the fifth at Randwick. I wonder how much he had on them.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nothing ruins the coverage than having the commentators riding the opposition home. Unfortunately that is life virtually every week for a Storm fan.

Just another area where RL is amateur in it’s execution.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Everyone remember Brandy last week calling for Welch to be suspended because a Manly player fell into his leg :lol:
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:10 am Everyone remember Brandy last week calling for Welch to be suspended because a Manly player fell into his leg :lol:
I still have no idea how that was a penalty, let alone why Christian got put on report for that incident.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A lot of people are still crying about the penalty we got when Finucane was hit off the ball and that was a 50/50 :lol:

When we are hit with complete bullsh*t penalties though? <<crickets>>
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:12 amSome comments on Ashley Klown. I think there are quite a few good referees- he is not one of them. His bias ( conscious or otherwise ) against the Storm is consistent and very irritating. Last night he did it subtly. By my reckoning both teams got 6 penalties and 4 set restarts . However the vast majority of those for Melbourne were on the first tackle , so were of limited value , whereas for Souths they were almost always on the 3rd or 4th tackle, which is much more advantageous. Similarly , with the 2 back-to-back video referrals, he would argue that he simply sent them upstairs so not his fault , BUT he sent Isaac’s up as a no try , and the Souths one as a try. Clearly the bunker was undecided re both, so just backed him. That 12 point swing early on was huge, and we did brilliantly to recover and win well.

Finally, to the commentators. The anti- Storm bias is sickening . Dan Ginnane was so excited when he thought Cam Smith was involved in a crusher tackle. He was all set to get stuck into Felise when he and Reynolds bumped into each other . He was ready to condemn Tino for a non-existent spear tackle. Both he and Ennis went on and on about Storm apparently slowing up the play-the-ball, with not a word against Souths . Finally, when Justin Olam went down after copping a boot to the Crown Jewels, their first reaction was to accuse him of feigning injury , without ever suggesting that any Souths player would ever do that.

Commentators should not be cheerleaders .

Sorry for that rant. Anyway, a great win and it is very helpful that we now have a 9 day break.
Spot on with all of this. Couldn't agree more.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Saw Freddy had a whinge about Cam's pass to setup Tino's try. Assume he's ignored the side angle like most people that showed the pass was in fact a perfect one.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Christian has copped a grade 1 dangerous conduct charge. 100 points, or 75 with the early plea. He has an exemplary record, so no loading.

Will be interesting to see if they take the early plea, which means he can play next week but will carry over 75 points, or fight it like Jesse recently did and then likely cop the week off but then have no carry over points coming into finals.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ridiculous how the tackle on Tino which was nearly identical didn't draw a charge. Klein's call of accident no doubt influenced that...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

“I thought it was an accident, that one” - Isn’t that the case for 95% of them Klein, you c*ckhead!?? Even the very accidental ones get penalised. Even the imaginary ones get penalised!

“I thought Brenko touched it”

“I thought he caught that cleanly”

So many pearlers from just one game :roll:
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

RobbieRoss wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:09 pm Christian has copped a grade 1 dangerous conduct charge. 100 points, or 75 with the early plea. He has an exemplary record, so no loading.

Will be interesting to see if they take the early plea, which means he can play next week but will carry over 75 points, or fight it like Jesse recently did and then likely cop the week off but then have no carry over points coming into finals.
Depends on what they think they'ce chances are, I'd fight it. Worst case, lose and miss the game against Cowboys but have a clean slate come finals.

Christian is a pretty clean player, but we can't trust tehereferees these days, last week was a clear example.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yourhero wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:06 am
The Bunnies try where Lumelume let the ball go instead of taking it dead was disappointing but what you get with someone new into first grade.
If it was anyone else other than a guy who is playing his second game I would have been filthy, hopefully he learns that the guys in 1st grade move a big quicker than Qld Cup!

Also on that try, how was that downward pressure when clearly knocked it back? I realise the result still would have been try as Souths jumped on it and grounded it again. But I still find these calls bemusing and frustrating.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've seen them called knock on...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:09 pm Christian has copped a grade 1 dangerous conduct charge. 100 points, or 75 with the early plea. He has an exemplary record, so no loading.

I wonder why he was charged with Dangerous Contact rather than the specific Crusher Tackle charge... Is that not weird to anyone else?

Base points for a Grade 1 Crusher Tackle charge is now 200 points, so even with a perfect record and an early guilty plea, you miss a game and have carryover points.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It did strike me as weird. Very strange.