Round 16 - Storm vs Sea Eagles

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sunday 30th August
4:05pm
Sunshine Coast Stadium, Sunshine Coast

Figured I would start this thread early and speculate on who we would have available for a team list...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Maybe Ricky Leutele gets rushed in for a bench cameo? Not sure if the contract he signed would even allow it tbh. They would have had to pick a start date and I doubt it is as early as next week.

I assume Hughes doesn't recover from a pulled groin in 1 week. I also assume Munster doesn't come back at risk again.

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Sandor Earl
3. Brenko Lee
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Ryley Jacks
7. Nicho Hynes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (maybe? - Or Aaron Booth)
10. Christian Welch
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Tom Eisenhuth
13. Tino Faasuamaleaui

14. Marion Seve
15. Chris Lewis
16. Aaron Pene
17. Darryn Schonig (maybe?)

Who is even available to fill out a 21 man squad? Well short on forwards...

18. Judda Turahui
19. Isaac Lumelume
20. ???
21. ???
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Long turn around, which has come at a good time.

When does Tommy Trbojevic come back?
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Sandor Earl
3. Brenko Lee
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Nicho Hynes
7. Jahrome Hughes / Cooper Johns
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Christian Welch
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Tino Faasuamaleaui

14. Ryley Jacks / Marion Seve
15. Chris Lewis
16. Tom Eisenhuth
17. Darryn Schonig

This might be the best we can hope for.
Still uncertainty over K.Brom, Schonig, Jacks and Olam that we know of.
With the long break hopefully Schonig is ok and hughes could be a chance, otherwise johns probably has to stay in.

A big issue is now our forwards. If K.Brom is injured we may literally b looking at having to play Jacks and Seve on the bench, we might need to list a Finucane or B.Smith just to get to 21.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm2016 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:03 am 1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Sandor Earl
3. Brenko Lee
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Nicho Hynes
7. Jahrome Hughes / Cooper Johns
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Christian Welch
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Tino Faasuamaleaui

14. Ryley Jacks / Marion Seve
15. Chris Lewis
16. Tom Eisenhuth
17. Darryn Schonig

This might be the best we can hope for.
Still uncertainty over K.Brom, Schonig, Jacks and Olam that we know of.
With the long break hopefully Schonig is ok and hughes could be a chance, otherwise johns probably has to stay in.

A big issue is now our forwards. If K.Brom is injured we may literally b looking at having to play Jacks and Seve on the bench, we might need to list a Finucane or B.Smith just to get to 21.
The club might have to call on Trent Loiero who's apparently in the bubble and can play second-row. Ditto Judda Turahui.

Could be in a rough spot at five-eighth but my best guess is if Bellamy can't get Jacks out on the field - he might play Eisenhuth there and run Hynes at halfback if Johns gets suspended.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Riders of the Storm I was also going to mention Trent Loiero. Other than those listed I think that is it in terms of forwards. In the past we may have been able to request a salary cap exemption to bring in a prop from Sunshine Coast Falcons or Easts Tigers, but that can't happen this year.

Unfortunately I think NAS may receive 3 weeks and Albie at least two weeks, so it won't be just for next week and none of the injured forwards (other than Kenny) are due back soon.

Given Hughes was named in 21 this week, that he would be a fair chance to play next week.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Okay, so apparently Vete and Johns are fine for next week. Both cleared.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

And NAS only has to pay a fine
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Big relief on the charges front. We can field a competitive team!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

21 man squad will look more like this then.
1. Ryan Papenhuyzen 
2. Sandor Earl 
3. Brenko Lee 
4. Justin Olam 
5. Josh Addo-Carr 
6. Ryley Jacks
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Christian Welch 
11. Felise Kaufusi 
12. Tom Eisenhuth 
13. Tino Faasuamaleaui 

14. Nicho Hynes
15. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
16. Albert Vete
17. Darryn Schonig

18. Cooper Johns (replaces Jacks or Hughes if either not fit)
19. Marion Seve
20. Chris Lewis (given NAS and Vete are available replaces Schonig if hr doesn't pass concussion protocols)
21. Aaron Pene/Aaron Booth
Storm2016
Squall
Squall

Looks alot better cause of those guys now being free to play

This could show how serious we are going for top 2, if they play all of Munster, Smith and Hughes. Id like to see Cam play and one of Hughes and Munster, but only if they are fully fit and its no risk at all.

We dont need to take risks as its not must win for top 4 and i think if we see only Cam back for instance, it may show they are not fussed on top 2

Do we even know if we are going to get home finals in QLD. No point risking players who are 50-50 with injury if all finals are in sydney anyway.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Top 2 is almost irrelevant given there is no guarantee we will even get to have a final on the Sunny Coast. There is talk that the NRL want to host all finals in Sydney. For us, that would mean risking injury to finish 1st or 2nd, for the exact same outcome as finishing 3rd or 4th.

Either way, rest our key players until they are fully fit. If that means they are not available for a couple more weeks and we drop another couple of games - so be it. The Premiership is the only goal.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Can't fault your reasoning there
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yourhero wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:34 pm Top 2 is almost irrelevant given there is no guarantee we will even get to have a final on the Sunny Coast. There is talk that the NRL want to host all finals in Sydney. For us, that would mean risking injury to finish 1st or 2nd, for the exact same outcome as finishing 3rd or 4th.

Either way, rest our key players until they are fully fit. If that means they are not available for a couple more weeks and we drop another couple of games - so be it. The Premiership is the only goal.
Agree with you to an extent, but we don't know for certain yet if all finals will be in Sydney, what's more having hosting rights will at least deny another team playing it at their home ground.

What;s more, I want to win the JJ Giltinan Shield!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not sure how much of the finals being in Sydney report was true. SMH today have us probably moving games from Sunny Coast to Suncorp for finals so top 2 still a priority along with health.