Round 15 - Eels v Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
moffla
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Well that wasn't great viewing as expected. A lot can be said about the officiating in that game - but focusing on the performance we dug in defensively but there was just no spark in attack. Had rare moments, but ultimately let ourselves down with last tackle decisions. All to be expected.

Thought Johns was ok - hard to judge from one game!

Hopefully our rotten injury luck has come to an end with B. Smith and Kenny out for some time. Surely can't get any worse!
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

yourhero wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:12 pm Is the lack of charges against our blokes an admission from the NRL that they agree Eels players are simply milking crushers?
And that the referee made some poor decisions.

Well done to the journos who asked both Arthur and Bellamy about it.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brent Read is always fair with us. One of the few.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I thought Johns was... OK, but his kicking was terrible. I would much rather have seen Jacks and Hynes in the halves - other than his kick out on the full Nicho was very good, and we instantly looked better with him out there.

I don't think I'd be feeling very good about that win if I was an Eels fan though - we would have smashed them with our full strength lineup, so they certainly have more to worry about than us (unless of course we keep losing players and they keep getting gifted penalties & wins vs understrength opposition whilst never leaving home).
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don't think we really did play that bad, although, I was of the opinion that we would win!

I think it was an all over team effort and I believe Christian Welch was our best from last night. As for non contributors, were there any? Maybe I'd be critical of Sandor but then I've already got him in my sights so maybe biased? I did think his runs were quite ineffectual though.

Someone else said it but Paps needs to pass a bit more, and, there were a few clear chances in the first half with Kenny steaming on to a short ball that never came. (Was that Jacks?) I'm impressed with what I saw of Cooper too.

As far as I'm concerned we gotta find a place for Nicho, he has poise, holds up and delivers a pass very well. With more training together as a team as opposed to coming in and being a makeshift half I reckon he's got the goods. (With everyone back easier said than done)

The kicking game last night we need to work on the short kick in behind the play. A few times in the first half we kept shuffling it across the back line and out to the wing with Gutherson not even in the same postcode. A few short kicks will then keep the defensive wingers guessing, come up or sit back, at the moment they all come up against us.

All up, we looked like we lacked cohesion which with the rate players are coming and going is entirely understandable. I do wonder how many points we may have given up if we were playing a really good attacking team?

I think Craig would have been very proud.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I agree, overall we played quite well, especially defensively. In attacked we had nothing though, and I agree with Nicho and kicking, we looked much more dangerous with him kicking.

If we were to win on Thursday, we needed more of those uncontrollable things ot go our way, which clearly didn't happen.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3c18ee49fa

Good to see Tallis call out the flog!
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Hahaha, gotta love Gordie. He is a breathe of fresh air as he doesn't mince his words and speaks his mind.

When commenting on the Proctor incident last week, I think he said something along the lines of "if that was me I would have bitten him harder" LOL