Round 15 - Eels v Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pole wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:29 pm One thing I don't see us do, that is common when I watch other games as a neutral, is that we don't concede many or any soft tries.
I think we're such a hard team to break down that when we actually do, the tries would be considered "soft".
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Dale is out ...gonna be hard to win now

Next one up
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Pole wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:29 pm One thing I don't see us do, that is common when I watch other games as a neutral, is that we don't concede many or any soft tries.
Except down our right edge.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:53 pm Dale is out ...gonna be hard to win now

Next one up
Bummer out until finals and means his 200th NRL game is delayed.

Schonig and Booth might both be named in 21 man squad.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would expect Tino to replace Dale at lock. Albie Vete onto bench to replace Tino and if Jesse is suspended either Lewis or Schonig onto bench.

While it is bad that we have all these injuries, fingers crossed we get most of injured players back for finals. A positive from the injuries is that more of our squad will have played matches in the lead up to the finals. So with no Qld Cup this year is good.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -unlikely/

Eels v Storm: Opportunity to atone; Hughes unlikely
NRL.com
Mon 17 Aug 2020

A few cracks have appeared in the Eels lately - a narrow win over Cronulla was followed by last week's upset loss to the Dragons - and they won't get a tougher test than the Storm.

Signs of complacency surfaced in both those games, almost as though they were waiting for the opposition to fold.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur will be crossing his fingers Blake Ferguson breaks out of his season-long try-scoring slump, while Mitch Moses and Dylan Brown have to bring their best.

Melbourne cut the Roosters to shreds last week, silencing the doubters who said they can't win without superstars Cameron Smith and Cameron Munster.

Coach Craig Bellamy will have his team primed for more of the same on Thursday night.

The Rundown

Team news
Eels: Few changes expected despite a loss with only Peni Terepo listed in the casualty ward.
Storm: Lock Dale Finucane is out for at least six weeks and could miss the rest of the season after tearing a calf muscle at training. Halfback Jahrome Hughes is considered unlikely to overcome a groin injury. Cooper Johns could make his NRL debut if Hughes is scratched while Nicho Hynes is another halves option.
Prop Jesse Bromwich will fight a dangerous contact charge at the judiciary on Tuesday despite the fact he was free to play with an early guilty plea. He will miss one match if he fails to win the case.
Superstar hooker Cameron Smith (shoulder) is training with the rehab group and is very unlikely to make an early return. Cameron Munster and Marion Seve aren't slated to return until next round at least.

Key match-up
Clint Gutherson v Ryan Papenhuyzen. Gutherson leads Parramatta with his actions and the fullback's hard work was evident last week as he set a new record for the most run metres ever recorded in a match with 369.
His opposite number Papenhuyzen has become an elite custodian in 2020, with his speed and attacking instincts vital parts of the Melbourne machine.

Stat Attack
The Eels are under pressure to prove they have moved on from last year's twin thrashings at the hands of Melbourne. In their only regular-season meeting of 2019, the Storm scored an eye-popping 11 tries in a 64-10 rout of the Eels.
When they squared off four months later in the finals Melbourne had their way again, knocking Parra out of the premiership race with a 32-0 shutout.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Really tough ask for our boys this week. Coming off that amazing effort against the Roosters and suffering more injuries seeminly by the day, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if we were a bit flat in this one.

I imagine if they do win, Moses/Ferguson/Co (and especially their bogan fans) will celebrate like they just won a GF and not a regular season game against a team missing 7 or 8 starting players.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So we'll name everyone standing:

1.Papenhuyzen
2.Earl
3.Lee
4.Olam
5.Addo-Carr
6.Jacks
7.Johns
8.J.Bromwich
9.B.Smith
10.Welch
11.Kaufusi
12.K.Bromwich
13.Fa'asuanealeuai
14.Hynes
15.Eisenhuth
16.Vete
17.Asofa-Solomona
18.Booth
19.Schonig
20.Lewis
21.Pene? - is he even fit to play?
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Scooter wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:44 pm A positive from the injuries is that more of our squad will have played matches in the lead up to the finals. So with no Qld Cup this year is good.
That's true, if we can gives some fringe players a run now that could be very handy coming into September.. err. I mean October. :D

Back's against the wall for this one, but that's when Storm rise up!
moffla
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

We can afford a loss so I'm glad it looks like we won't risk Hughes or Smith. But I'm backing us push the Eels for the full 80 mins.

On thing is for certain though - Fergo will score his first try of the season here.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet I think you have one too many forwards in your 18 to 21. Isaac Lumelume to get Aaron Pene's spot.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am somewhat excited about the new look line up. We haven't seen an influx of new names for quite some time since the representative season used to decimate us regularly.

I think the concerns about Eels pushing us to the brink are well founded and it will be a tough game. They may smash us from the first minute, the hardest part will be playing with pride and sticking to structures regardless of the scoreboard.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Knew I forgot someone
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think we can still win, we were so dominant over Easts who IMO, are a better than Parra.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm squad
1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Sandor Earl
3. Brenko Lee
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Ryley Jacks
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich