Round 14 - Roosters vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Looking like an actual footy team without Smith on the field was probably the biggest positive of the game.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Jahrome Hughes
1 Try
1 Try Assist
2 Line Breaks
1 Try Save
1 Forced Drop Out
6 Tackle Breaks
6 Runs (69m)
24 Tackles (2 Missed)
17 Kicks (514m)
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And played through a groin injury to boot. What a weapon.

Sadly looks like he may miss a few weeks after what was arguably his best ever career game.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I agree with everyone else. What an extraordinary team.. and an extraordinary bunch of people. We are so lucky to have them represent us.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Well said yourhero!!!

Yes, a really good win. To do that to the rortsters in Sydney without our two best players, amazing.

Not surprised by the ypical Sydney media, poor roosters, look at all their outs blah blah blah.

Paps said after the game it was about everyone stepping up and leading, not just 1 or 2. I think this team has what it takes to go all the way this year.

Now onto another big game next week against the Eels.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, well said yourhero - the only thing that I would add to that assessment is that we also had to travel interstate to play the Rorters with only a 5-day turnaround - they had a full 7 days and played at home after limited travel the week before (well, since 9th July actually)!

It was typically pathetic scheduling from the N(SW)RL for what should have been a blockbuster Friday night game, but we overcame the disruptions, travel, limited training/preparation (with injuries to key playmakers), and then injuries & reshuffling positions during the game.

It was an awesome effort, and Welch really needs a special mention - from a bench player with questionable natural ability, that many of us wondered how he kept getting selected at one point, to that performance last night, it is pretty remarkable just how much he has improved; 190 metres (86 of which were post contact) from 16 hit-ups, 3 offloads, 32 tackles, in around 54 minutes... who would ever have thought that he would be our forward leader? =D>
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Insomniac wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:02 pmYeah, well said yourhero - the only thing that I would add to that assessment is that we also had to travel interstate to play the Rorters with only a 5-day turnaround - they had a full 7 days and played at home after limited travel the week before (well, since 9th July actually)!
Agreed Insomniac, the 5 day turnaround (vs 7) and no travel factor is huge.

Just given all of the circustances and the context of it all, that win has to rank up there with one of our best ever regular season game wins.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/14/round-14-charges/

So Jesse was hit with a "hip drop" tackle (Grade 1 Dangerous Contact) for a tackle on Ikuvalu ??? He will avoid a one-game suspension if he enters an early guilty plea.

---

From the article - "NRL head of football Graham Annesley recently warned players about this practice of dropping their body weight onto the unprotected back legs of ball carriers to finish a tackle."

You mean like the one Cameron Munster was injured in but no charge levelled against Josh Jackson? These muppets in the Match Review Panel have their eyes painted on.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Insomniac wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:02 pm It was an awesome effort, and Welch really needs a special mention - from a bench player with questionable natural ability, that many of us wondered how he kept getting selected at one point, to that performance last night, it is pretty remarkable just how much he has improved; 190 metres (86 of which were post contact) from 16 hit-ups, 3 offloads, 32 tackles, in around 54 minutes... who would ever have thought that he would be our forward leader? =D>
Insomniac I agree a wonderful performance by Welch. My best on ground just ahead of Hughes and Olam. How about the development of his offload?

I will disagree with your comment about wondering about how he kept getting selected and that you are surprised he is now a forward leader. From his time in the Under 20s I thought he was a future first grade captain.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:53 pm https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/14/round-14-charges/

So Jesse was hit with a "hip drop" tackle (Grade 1 Dangerous Contact) for a tackle on Ikuvalu ??? He will avoid a one-game suspension if he enters an early guilty plea.

---

From the article - "NRL head of football Graham Annesley recently warned players about this practice of dropping their body weight onto the unprotected back legs of ball carriers to finish a tackle."

You mean like the one Cameron Munster was injured in but no charge levelled against Josh Jackson? These muppets in the Match Review Panel have their eyes painted on.
Yourhero I just went on to NRL app and moved replay to that stage. I have not seen a more gentle tackle by a third tackler around the legs of a player. If that is worthy of a charge / suspension oh my, someone will be getting charged in nearly every tackle.

I personally would challenge it but given he is free to play if he pleads guilty and the injuries we have Storm probably will plead guilty.

If any of our players was to be charged I thought it might be Welch, he tackled a Rooster after he had passed it at one stage in the second half.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

WTF? Are they serious? Where the lima lima lima duck did they pull that from? Are they just trying to punish us for winning? I think the club should fight it, if they can.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Didn't look like much in the tackle but Ikuvalu did come up sore at the play the ball. Not sure what the difference between that and the one on Munster last week though.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:54 pm
Insomniac wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:02 pm It was an awesome effort, and Welch really needs a special mention - from a bench player with questionable natural ability, that many of us wondered how he kept getting selected at one point, to that performance last night, it is pretty remarkable just how much he has improved; 190 metres (86 of which were post contact) from 16 hit-ups, 3 offloads, 32 tackles, in around 54 minutes... who would ever have thought that he would be our forward leader? =D>
Insomniac I agree a wonderful performance by Welch. My best on ground just ahead of Hughes and Olam. How about the development of his offload?

I will disagree with your comment about wondering about how he kept getting selected and that you are surprised he is now a forward leader. From his time in the Under 20s I thought he was a future first grade captain.
Having just watched it;
"The development of his offload" has always been his strike weapon, this year his running game has improved out of sight, and it wasn't bad before.

As someone else said, the commentators, aww the Roosters have so many players out, blah, blah, blah. They banged on about one of the Roosters players being tackled after kicking the ball but nothing when the same thing happened to us prior.

Re the best players, I thought Welch too , Hughes and then the team, nobody had a bad game.

I'll add to this,
Tedesco may be highly rated and for sure he has great line breaking ability but I seriously doubt his goal line defence, I'd have any of our fullbacks over him.
Brandon Smith, we all love him and I've had my serious doubts about him at 9 and always wanting to run, well, last night he picked his moments when to go perfectly. Once he went off Paps appeared to primarily take over the dummy half role which I thought a little odd (did a big bopper come on for him?) Nicho could come on for B Smith with Paps going to hooker and run any opposition around?
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

We're being investigate for having 14 players on the field, apparently a fine is on the cards and very unlikely we will lose premierships points.

Not good for the club!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sulj was under hia protocols at the time