Round 8 - Storm vs Roosters

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’m still speechless ...that game was awesome
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

One more thing - massive credit to Ryan Papenhuyzen for calling for the ball to take a shot at field goal.

Heaps of pressure on him to belt it over and he's only 30 games in to his career.

Apparently after he kicked it he told Smith from the kick-off he wanted the ball.

That's exactly the kind of player we need.

https://twitter.com/storm/status/1278912602786205696
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Wow, what a game.

There were a couple of downsides; too many errors and Vunivalu's defence - you do NOT collar grab when trying to stop a winger scoring (especially not twice) and what was going through his head when he hit Teddy without the ball? But mostly it was upsides. Great tenacity and never say die.

Best game of the year so far.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

TC wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:00 pm There were a couple of downsides; too many errors and Vunivalu's defence - you do NOT collar grab when trying to stop a winger scoring (especially not twice) and what was going through his head when he hit Teddy without the ball?
In a word, Suli. Nothing new, rocks and diamonds. Think the Rooters fans will be thinking the same of Tupou
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He’s too unreliable to even label him with the rocks and diamonds tag.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Will be very interested to see what happens on the wings when we come to play the Eels
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Suli’s speciality these days is to force a dangerous offload about 10m from our own try line. He does it virtually every game and often results in an opposition try.

I still somehow prefer that than seeing JAC being dragged backwards 10m every single hitup.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:01 am JAC being dragged backwards 10m every single hitup.
YES,
What has changed with Josh?
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Corey Oates worth a look?
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:30 am Corey Oates worth a look?
imo...yes. He has problems in his game....but he would thrive under CB.

Only problem is that it sounds like he's a Broncos and Qld boy through and through and wouldn't want to come to Melbourne...even though it would be a great career move for him.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It has taken me two days to recover from that match. I am the wrong side of 60 , and the old ticker can’t handle too much of that ! Well, I can if we win!

A few observations.

1. As impressive as Scott Drinkwater is for NQ, we could not keep both him and Paps, and I am very happy Paps is with us.

2. It is FANTASTIC that we won on the back of a penalty awarded by Ashley Klown, AND apparently after he missed a Storm knock on. Sweet !

3. A few weeks ago I was critical of Jahrome Hughes . It turned out he played most of that match with a broken hand . On Thursday he was excellent - really growing into the halves role. My apologies, Jahrome.

4. I am happy having Ryley Jacks in the 17 whilst Munster is out. He played 32 minutes, which allowed Cam Smith to shuffle between 7 and 9. That also works because Brandon Smith can play 9 or hitup forward, and Tom Eisenhuth played a strong 35 minutes.

5. We are going to miss Tino. It is a real shame we will lose him just as he is starting to make a real impression. Let us hope he can go out a winner.

So next week our bogey team Canberra. But they have injuries too, and looked pedestrian last night. We are in with a real chance - and how Craig would love a win over his old mate Sticky Ricky.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:52 pmIt is FANTASTIC that we won on the back of a penalty awarded by Ashley Klown, AND apparently after he missed a Storm knock on. Sweet !
I've seen replays of that apparent knock-on from Brandon before the Paps field goal, and I'm not convinced it was anyway - Brandon uses two hands to play the ball and one of his hands comes away from the ball but it looks like he maintains control with the other as far as I can tell.

There would be far worse play-the-balls throughout the game not pulled up, but it's very telling that the Roosters fans & NSW media are looking for excuses once again. I'm shocked that they're not blaming Finucane for milking the penalty again!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

They are blaming that too
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Insomniac wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:31 am
RobbieRoss wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:52 pmIt is FANTASTIC that we won on the back of a penalty awarded by Ashley Klown, AND apparently after he missed a Storm knock on. Sweet !
I've seen replays of that apparent knock-on from Brandon before the Paps field goal, and I'm not convinced it was anyway - Brandon uses two hands to play the ball and one of his hands comes away from the ball but it looks like he maintains control with the other as far as I can tell.
Left hand (behind the ball) comes away, right hand (in front) never does.
No harm, no foul - or should that be no fowl?

Chooks are sooks.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately