Round 4 vs Rabbitohs

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chris Lewis is a babe according to my wife, who couldn't give a stuff if the game was on for 75 minutes before they flashed him on the screen.

I think we r all loving Tino as we know what he is capable of (albeit at a lower grade) and id say last night was the first time we really saw it at NRL level. He was seeking the ball and contact rather than letting it come to him.

There are definitely selection headaches ahead but I presume Tui and NAS walk into the team, but it is clearly a smaller man's game
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brenko's just gotta hope to keep the defensive brain fades to a minimum and he'll stay in the team. He's a real threat to the defensive line every time he touches the ball. Something Seve just doesn't have in his game.

Tino was very strong, particularly early on. Was one of the big reasons why we were able to get on the front foot before half time. Was absolutely some of his best minutes in first grade.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So proud of Chris Lewis ...it took me two years to meet Chris and he becomes a storm player almost immediately

I feel sorry for the other reserve players cause the way Bellamy was talking in his presser they won’t ever get a game this year unless there’s suspensions or injury’s

I say the 17 reserve storm players form a team and join the nrl Victoria comp for the year ...I mean we would all get smashed by them every week lol but at least they get a game and we get to see them play

If they are worried about covid the NRLVic team could get tests done and the game could be played at aami or goshes in their clean zone
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:46 am So proud of Chris Lewis ...it took me two years to meet Chris and he becomes a storm player almost immediately

I feel sorry for the other reserve players cause the way Bellamy was talking in his presser they won’t ever get a game this year unless there’s suspensions or injury’s

I say the 17 reserve storm players form a team and join the nrl Victoria comp for the year ...I mean we would all get smashed by them every week lol but at least they get a game and we get to see them play

If they are worried about covid the NRLVic team could get tests done and the game could be played at aami or goshes in their clean zone
Not a crazy idea, the Rebels allocate a few players to each suburban club and having trained along side them if does wonders for the league as a whole if each club has 2 or 3 "professional" players. It'd be cool if storm sent a couple to each Victorian NRL club.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I reckon it could work
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Given Brenko Lee became the 200th Storm player on the weekend I thought it was worthwhile to look back on our "milestone" players:

1. Marcus Bai
The PNG flyer and international, (who this site was originally named after) won the honour of being player number one alphabetically. Bai played with the Port Moresby Vipers and started his professional career at Hull FC and the Gold Coast Chargers before joining the inaugural Storm squad. Bai won Dally M winger of the year ar the Storm, is a premeirship player and became a cult hero at the Storm. He played 144 games and scored 70 tries for the Storm. He certainly got the fans excited when he flew down the wing at Olympic Park. There were some not so happy moments at Olympic Park for Bai though, he cut his a arm on advertising hoardings and was also involved in the tackle the ended Jarrod McCracken's career. After leaving the Storm, Bai played for Leeds and Bradford. Bai was the first player to win the World Club Challenge with three different teams.

50. Mitch Sargent
The peroxide blonde haired prop was a junior at Canowindra and had a stint at Parramatta before joining the Storm. In 2002 Sargent made his NRL debut for the Storm. After 2 seasons and 35 games for the Storm, Sargent joined the North Queensland Cowboys. He played over 60 games and represented NSW Country whilst at the Cowboys. In late 2006, Sargent was sacked by the Cowboys for testing positive for cocaine in an in-house drug test. Sargent played for Newcastle on 2007 and finished his career playing over 50 games for Castleford in Super League.

100. Clint Newton
Clint is the son of former golf professional and TV commentator Jack. Clint played his junior rugby league at Valentine-Eleebana. Newton played 100 games at Newcastle before a falling out with Brian Smith and transferring to the Storm in the middle of 2007. Newton played 15 games for the Storm and scored a try in their 2007 Grand Final win v Manly. In 2008, Newton joined Hull KR, where he spent four seasons. Newton returned to the NRL with Penrith in 2012, where he played for two seasons before returning home to finish his career with the Knights. Newton played for the USA at the 2013 RLWC. Newton is now the CEO of the RLPA.

150. Jordan McLean
McLean played his junior rugby league for the Young Cherrypickers. McLean played Under 20s for the Storm including the 2009 NYC premiership team. McLean made his first grade debut in 2013 after suffering some serious injuries. In 2014, McLean was suspended for 7 matches following his involvement in the tackle that resulted in Alex McKinnon suffering a spinal injury. McLean became an important part of the Storm's forward pack and went on to play 86 games for the Storm. McLean's last game for the Storm was the 2017 premiership win v his future team the North Queensland Cowboys. McLean played for the Kangaroos at the 2017 RLWC. McLean had his first season at the Cowboys interrupted with a Lisfranc injury and in the early stages of his third season in Townsville has played 36 games for the Cowboys.

200. Brenko Lee
Brenko Lee is a 25 year old winger or centre who has joined the Storm after stints with three other clubs (just the kind of player that usually thrives under Craig Bellamy). Played his junior footy at Logan Brothers. Lee played for the Canberra Under 20s and made his first grade debut with the Raiders in 2014 and played 15 games and scored 12 tries over three years for the Raiders. Lee played 18 games in 2017 for the Bulldogs and played 20 games for the Titans over 2018 and 2019. Lee also played one test for Tonga in 2017. Lee was signed by Storm feeder team Easts Tigers in late 2019 and after doing a pre-season at the Storm was signed to an NRL deal.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I so badly wanted cooper to be 200 ...oh well congrats Brenko keep it up
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... is-on-rsn/

Media: Chris Lewis on RSN
melbournestorm.com.au
Tue 9 Jun 2020, 09:30

Chris Lewis, at the age of 27 is the oldest player to debut in Storm colours. It was worth the wait for 2 of his biggest supporters. Storm found a novel way to get Lewis's parents Mick and Pauleen into AAMI Park. The club made them the designated ball retrievers. The retired teachers had driven eight hours to Sydney from their home in the tiny northern NSW town of Ashford, then flown to Melbourne for the game.

---

A nice chat with Chris Lewis on RSN. Talks about his challenges and everything associated with his debut.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... ris-lewis/

A united front for Storm debutant Chris Lewis
melbournestorm.com.au
Tue 9 Jun 2020

After injuries, doubts and a detour into the classroom, Melbourne Storm utility Chris Lewis made his belated NRL debut on Friday night.

Via Roy Ward / SMH.

At the age of 27 he was the oldest player to debut in Storm colours and he waited until the last five minutes to get on field, but it was worth the wait for two of his biggest supporters.

Without crowds, Storm found a novel way to get Lewis's parents Mick and Pauleen into AAMI Park.

The club made them the designated ball retrievers, and they chased errant balls between plays.

The retired teachers had driven eight hours to Sydney from their home in the tiny northern NSW town of Ashford, then flown to Melbourne for the game.

TV cameras caught Lewis with a beaming smile when he ran on; what audiences couldn't see was that he was smiling at his mum, sitting alone in the stands.

"They drove me ridiculous distances when I was a kid growing up in the middle of nowhere," Lewis said post game.

"They have been a massive part of my football career. They paid for two knee reconstructions, a shoulder reconstruction and an ankle reconstruction so they have been amazing for me.

"To have them here on such a special night was a really big deal."