Crowd Lockouts

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

yourhero wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 am Tough draw IMO but I'm confident we can still do well.

Sea Eagles twice.
Roosters twice.
Rabbitohs twice.
Knights twice.
Raiders twice.
Pig of a draw.
We play 3 of last year's top 4 twice, and and 4 of the top 6. In other words, if you discount Storm who were minor premiers, we play the three best teams and 4 of the best 5 twice.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:42 pm
yourhero wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 am Tough draw IMO but I'm confident we can still do well.

Sea Eagles twice.
Roosters twice.
Rabbitohs twice.
Knights twice.
Raiders twice.
Pig of a draw.
We play 3 of last year's top 4 twice, and and 4 of the top 6. In other words, if you discount Storm who were minor premiers, we play the three best teams and 4 of the best 5 twice.
TC......it'll just make it even sweeeeeter when we win the 2020 Premiership.. ;)
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm to push ahead with plan to get fans back
melbournestorm.com.au
Mon 25 May 2020

Melbourne Storm has the full support of the NRL to push ahead with its plan to get fans back at AAMI Park as soon as possible.

A meeting this week could help the ambitious proposal take another step forward, but all eyes are on the Victorian government’s next move in easing community wide restrictions.

The proposal being worked on inside Storm headquarters relates to how fan attendance could work including how many people would be let in, where they would sit and whether catering could work.

That proposal would be put to state government officials at the appropriate time but as one insider said, there was “still a lot of work to do”.

Storm offered to be the “test case” for a return of crowds and has been given the green light by the NRL to push forward.

---

and from a separate article - https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... wd-return/;

Storm chairman Matt Tripp hopes his club can be a "test case" for the return of crowds to NRL games as early as July.

Tripp told RSN's Breakfast Club on Monday morning that the club had been in talks with the Victorian government and the Melbourne Olympic Park Trust about a plan for a limited number of fans to be allowed through the gates as restrictions around the COVID-19 pandemic are eased.

"We are piecing together a scenario where even if we start with a thousand people and build to 2000, 3000 in every fifth seat, there are plans in place at the moment or plans that we are working through to try and get people to AAMI Park, to create a safe environment for bigger and better things for all codes, not just the NRL," he said.

"We would happily be the test case, it's a wonderful facility to get people in and out of.

"There are measures that we can put in place to ensure the safety of patrons when they're at the game so I can't see why, in line with Peter V'landys' comments on July 1 that we can't get the ball rolling at AAMI."

Tripp said fans were desperate to get back to games and would be bashing the door down to the stadium if given the opportunity.

"It would be wonderful if we can get people back to games this year."
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’d go

Although no matter WHO they pick or HOW they pick the people to go there will be another thousand that wanna have a bitch about not getting to go so they will never please everyone

I mean they would cross out the interstates
Cross out the non members
Cross out the ones that don’t want to go

Then if they were being stricked on protocol with what the government has been saying the would have to cross out the elderly anyone who has a disability or bad immune system

The list goes on

As I said on fb before if to get in they have to test me temperature they better do it hours before the game cause the minute I get inside my temperature goes up just watching storm play and that’s not even a joke heart racers and high temperature a condition called storm game day
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree, people will complain no matter what.

I think a fair system would be to;
- List those people that the government exclude for health reasons.
- Offer a place to the earliest and longest serving members (foundation members).
- Extend the offer to members in order of longest serving until capacity is reached.

As the number of fans allowed increases, extend to all members (almost like a pre-sale/confirmation window), then if capacity allows, general public on a first in, best dressed arrangement.

Logistics of this may be too hard to implement though. Fans need to not be precious about this and accepts that they may or may not, get a seat in the early stages - even if they have ticketed membership this year and didn't seek a refund (which is a great thing to do, where people can do that).
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:16 pm I agree, people will complain no matter what.

I think a fair system would be to;
- List those people that the government exclude for health reasons.
- Offer a place to the earliest and longest serving members (foundation members).
- Extend the offer to members in order of longest serving until capacity is reached.

As the number of fans allowed increases, extend to all members (almost like a pre-sale/confirmation window), then if capacity allows, general public on a first in, best dressed arrangement.

Logistics of this may be too hard to implement though. Fans need to not be precious about this and accepts that they may or may not, get a seat in the early stages - even if they have ticketed membership this year and didn't seek a refund (which is a great thing to do, where people can do that).
Purely from a selfish point of view I like your thinking YH.
I feel a can of worms being opened here and I shudder to think of how the NSW media would report it and how unfair it is and blah blah blah, we all know how it will go.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hadn't thought of this until I watched AFL's Footy Classified last night and they posed the idea of longest serving members getting priority to tickets when crowds are allowed in. This is by far the only logical option. I'll sign a waiver if it means that every opposition player can easily hear me criticize their haircut from the comfort of my own seating bay.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

How many foundation members do we have ?

I’m all for letting those guys in first although I know some who are foundation members and have said they wouldn’t
Last edited by sallymay on Tue May 26, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There's probably not that many to be honest. And even the ones that are foundation members, they may be older and not want to risk attending games (even with limited crowds). But I think the club has a strong sense of loyalty embedded in the fabric. The club are always paying homage to those that have come before them and acknowledging the contributions of those in the past, particularly on field/in administration. There's no reason that should not extend to the fans as well.

If we are only talking about a few hundred fans being allowed as a test case, foundation members + long standing ticketed members seems the fairest option. At least giving them the first opportunity, whether they accept or not.
sofacheer
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I wonder how many of the limited seats will be taken by sponsors before access filters down to members?

I am personally not sure what I would find more weird - watching an empty stadium from home or being at a game with only a few hundred spectators.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:43 am How many foundation members do we have ?
A couple of years ago the club put on a function for foundation members and if I recall correctly I was told about 400 remained.

I think I would rather watch from home than be in a stand with only 500 supporters, although,
if it was a Fox game my tune might change (don't have Fox)
there'd be a better chance for the referees / opposition players to clearly hear my advice to them. :-D
Mr Peanutbutter
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

So federal govt has announced that from July stadia with a capacity of no more that 40,000 will be able to operate at 25% crowd capacity.
For AAMI Park with a capacity of 30,000 that would mean games in front of 7500 are not out the question.
Of course it requires state government to agree as well.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I mean we normally get 10/12k if you take out the away fans and walk ups we would proberly get 7k
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Management like to employ as few staff as possible and close off sections and herd people together, doing this they'd need to open all sections and no doubt employ more staff. I wonder how the stadia management (not just Storm / AAMI Park) will be liking this and how they would work it.
Wait and see.
Mr Peanutbutter
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Maybe some goodwill to those members who have already pledged their 100% membership as well?