NSW Media Campaign against Smith and Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
shorton
Squall
Squall

So the relentless campaign by NSW Media personalities over the past month against Cameron Smith and the Storm establishment actually paid off this year.

Those ##### must be so pleased with themselves.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Cameron decides to retire - why would you wanna subject yourself to this bullshit all the time?!!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Looks like he will now
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:09 pm Looks like he will now
Is this growing legs Sallymay?

If this does come to pass it will be disappointing the way it pans out. Allowing potential players to leave under the assumption that the Smith will be here for another year. (Surely the club knows what's going on - bit hard to plan if not)
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kinda weird that after being pretty staunch on not letting things get to him and saying he’ll play on to now him being affected by things and possibly retiring.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Apparently Bellamy’s really down at the moment too. I think the Smith comments have only exacerbated things - particularly given Bellamy’s comments ahead of the Roosters game.

I think this season has really done a number on our guys - winning that many games any playing a such a high intensity before bowing out short of the Grand Final must’ve really done a number on them.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I wonder how (internally) the season is viewed. I wonder what the "exit interviews" (ala AFL style) would be like.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Surely if Smith retires citing media bullying, it's grounds for legal action.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Paul Kent doubling down on his comments now. We should start a mass campaign criticising him and run the flog out of the game.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullucked wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:26 pm I wonder how (internally) the season is viewed. I wonder what the "exit interviews" (ala AFL style) would be like.

I think they wayyy overachieved year ...you go back and watch some of Bellamy’s press conferences and he is always saying it was a close game could’ve gone either way Lots to work on...they really should’ve lost a few more to keep them grounded but they were just overachieing accidentally
Utha
Squall
Squall

Aside from the two premierships, it's been a shitty decade, really. Started with the salary cap debacle, and finished with this bullshit media crucifixion.

Have already renewed for next year, but doubt I will be attending any games. League has really gone to shit (all footy codes have, in fact), and I believe the media are at least partly responsible for that.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Kent said, “Cameron came out earlier in the year saying he should get his premierships back for the two years he got caught cheating when he won’t declare he signed a second contract.”

That's a very interesting statement; I've read the publicly released summary of the DeLoitte's report (the same document that this grubby little scumbag will have read - the whole document was never released except to the NRL) and I'm pretty sure it never said that players had signed two contracts. It certainly said there was no evidence of players being aware of any infringement.
There may very well be a case for slander here and, given that it was also printed in News Ltd papers (who he works for), potentially libel as well. And wouldn't we love to see that?!?

Slander: the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.
Libel: a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What about criminal charges? Anyone know of a way for them to be brought?
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Fuuny thing.... I';ve been posting on the Foxtel site defending our team against the smear job using facts that I've found off this site and including links and now all my posts have been deleted. Hmmmmmmmm! There is no smear job..... yeah right.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

2 key points with which I totally agree.

1. We did in fact overachieve this season. At the end of the day, the 2 teams tonight both beat us twice, and we had a question mark at half back all season. NEVERTHELESS, it is bitterly disappointing that I am sitting in front of a TV in Melb and not back at the big game .

2. The treatment of Cameron Smith by Sydney press has been deliberate, targeted, vicious, deplorable. Lowlife pricks with pathetic agendas ruining the legacy of a champion player and champion bloke. Stay strong, Skipper.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I am glad someone said it. I also believe the Sydney media went after Smith on purpose. It look like a plan was made and put in play one act after another.