Half Back for 2020

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
shorton
Squall
Squall

Surely we go and buy the best half on the market for 2020 and beyond.

If Cameron Smith retires we should have some good coin to do it.

Anyone got any recommendations of who we should target?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hughes is good enough for me. Some depth needed, sure. Our failings in the finals has little to do with our halfback IMO.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

We are not good enough at HB and lack an organiser. Been clear since Cronk left (acknowledge he was always going to be difficult to replace)

One cheap option who knows our system who can get a team around a field - Blake Green. Would work as a simple cog allowing Munster, Papi and co to do their magic...

Surprised he’s not come up in the chat...He played here without the benefit of a Slater or Papi and was probably too similar to Cronk. We now need him or someone similar...
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If we stick with Hughes there cause of the way everything fits in the team then we can't half ass it. Get him a halves coach over the offseason and hope he can improve as a halfback.

Also add he did well enough after the swap. Bigger issue to end the season was the drop of form from Munster.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

yourhero wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:07 am Hughes is good enough for me. Some depth needed, sure. Our failings in the finals has little to do with our halfback IMO.

Agree to disagree. I really like Hughes bit he ain’t an NRL 6 or 7. He’s a very good full back / utility.

We need an organiser and by getting that the flair we have (Munster, Papi) can flourish and Smith can be more effective / ply longer
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Cam to 7. Brandon to 9. Munster and Hughes have been playing injured.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I love Hughes but he’s clearly not a halfback. He’s a fullback or a utility.

Badly need to use the off-season to address this and develop or find a halfback with a decent kicking game.

I’m going to get slammed for saying this but I also think Munster needs to move out of five-eighth and cover the other centre spot if Chambers leaves. I’m still not sold on him as a five-eighth.

I feel effectively Bellamy’s been running three fullbacks on the field for the better part of two seasons now. It doesn’t work.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

riders of the storm wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:01 am I love Hughes but he’s clearly not a halfback. He’s a fullback or a utility.

Badly need to use the off-season to address this and develop or find a halfback with a decent kicking game.

I’m going to get slammed for saying this but I also think Munster needs to move out of five-eighth and cover the other centre spot if Chambers leaves. I’m still not sold on him as a five-eighth.

I feel effectively Bellamy’s been running three fullbacks on the field for the better part of two seasons now. It doesn’t work.
no disrespect RotS.....but a GF appearance last year and 20 wins this season would appear to disagree with your theory.

Biggest issue come Finals this year was some sore boys especially Munster/Hughes...injuries that couldn't be covered (Welch long term and Suli last night) and Scott just coming back into the team after a long injury lay off.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm Spirit wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:38 am
Biggest issue come Finals this year was some sore boys especially Munster/Hughes...
And this is what I never understand about rugby league, we play injured players and then get found out.

I don't think our go forward was anywhere good enough, nobody, apart from NAS and "the Wombat" (god love him) poked their noses through the line and we looked terribly wanting in attack. Hughes, Croft, Cronk, Orford, Kimmorley would've all struggled with how we played last night. Penalties, injuries, stop start play meant rhythm was pretty hard to find. Kicking on the second play when we looked very much like we're coming, well...

Speaking of Paps, he tried his guts out and maybe that was part of the problem, he couldn't be everywhere all the time. In time he'll learn when to inject himself and I think the best fb there's ever been might just be working with him in the off season. Also, too many times Paps was playing the ball on the last play, can't chase a kick from there.

I'm not sure where Hughes plays, maybe he's more a 5/8th than half? Where does that leave Munster? GI played 5/8 but I'm not sure that was his best position either, much better when he was running the ball with pace, he certainly was more than handy in the centres… Munster could choose when to inject himself this way.

Apart from me there's absolutely no love on here for Croft, or from within the team I suspect. In any organisation there's many different personalities and there's always going to be people who don't get along with people and I feel Croft doesn't quite fit in with captain Cam. Sadly I'll be surprised if he's still here next year.

I'm kinda amazed now that we didn't have a viable back up winger (other than Earl and I'm not saying he's viable). Have we only used three different wingers all year? I was also amazed at the ineffectiveness of each of Chambers' runs, everytime he was met and driven backwards. In days past he'd be driving defenders backwards, and, being on the wing that didn't stop him from rushing in, very lucky to have dodged some bullets there!

In summary I suppose, when it comes down to it, Olam's slip was the difference.

Geez I've got off track.

One last thing, Kaufusi, will he get a fine for the slap and Keary will get nothing for the hair pull and swinging arm? Keary looked shot and was complete tripe last night, shame we couldn't exploit him some more.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I believe we used four wingers, Seve started a game or two there early.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:38 amBiggest issue come Finals this year was some sore boys especially Munster/Hughes...injuries that couldn't be covered (Welch long term and Suli last night) and Scott just coming back into the team after a long injury lay off.
Every player plays through something this time of year. Hughes didn't play like he was hurt, I'm sure Munster wouldn't use it as an excuse either.

Not having healthy players is a different story. We needed better and more ready depth. Should never have had to go into the biggest game of the season with Sandor Earl anywhere near the squad.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A lot of talk about Cam moving to halfback for 2020.

Our focal point of attack for so long has been around the ruck. Cam coming out of DH and picking the right player to give the ball to given the situation. As good as we all know Smithy #2 is, we likely lose a lot of that football IQ from DH. It would change the dimension of the team. We would gain a strong running game out of DH though (something Smith has the ability to do but just rarely employed).

C Smith already jumps into first receiver (or second receiver) semi-often depending on field position and set plays. A full time move there would give Smith more opportunity to direct the team around the park and make sure everyone is in position. It would change the way we attack and be quite unpredictable. It would no doubt be a MASSIVE change (and gamble). Though I don't mind the idea in principle tbh... It gives Brandon his time to shine in his preferred position (although he is doing just fine as a middle forward tbh). It may also freshen Smithy up - he would no longer be making 40+ tackles per game against props (someone will have to pick up that slack).

Craig has already shut it down, however just to explore it a bit further, it is an interesting discussion to have. Possible line-up;

1. Paps
2. JAC
3. Hughes
4. Olam
5. Suli
6. Munster
7. C Smith
8. J Bromwich
9. B Smith
10. NAS
11. Kaufusi
12 K Bromwich
13. Finucane

14. Tui
15. Welch (may not be available until May-ish - perhaps Tino comes in until then)
16. King
17. Grant

Tino
Seve
Lumelume
Hynes
Johns
Earl
Eisenhuth
Tuilagi

Hughes to centre does little to resolve issues apparent in 2018 and 2019 with small outside backs unable to get us on a roll early in sets. A Ken Maumalo type would be nice... Or get Suli to run hard every time, not just when he is pissed off.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

* Sorry, add Vete to the extended list - who was excellent in his one showing but has been unlucky to not get another opportunity (and injuries).
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not even gonna guess what our round 1 team would be if healthy. Now Smith is back and not going to be halfback, we've got two nrl ready hookers who should be playing. An unwanted halfback who might not be there. A fullback who could be at halfback or apparently centre? And a centre who might not be there either. All this with cap problems as well.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Definitely won’t be Croft. Badel is reporting that the Broncos will announce his signing on Monday.