SEMI FINAL - Storm vs Eels

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... l-preview/

Storm v Eels - Semi-final preview
NRL.com
Mon 16 Sep 2019

The Storm missed a golden opportunity to earn a week off when they lost Saturday's qualifying final in the final minutes to Canberra in Melbourne.

There's no more chances this week as they host the Eels in a do-or-die clash to keep their season alive.

Whoever wins this game will advance to a preliminary final showdown with the Roosters at the SCG in week three.

The Eels advanced to week two of the finals by knocking out Brisbane in Sunday's elimination clash at Bankwest Stadium and coach Brad Arthur will have his side fired up for an upset in the Victorian capital.

The Rundown

Key match-up
Cameron Munster's dominance at five-eighth has not only been integral in the Storm's success, the Queensland Origin rep has had the best season of his career. Munster will be facing one of the best young playmakers in the NRL in the form of Parramatta's 19-year-old rookie Dylan Brown.

For the Storm to win
They need to continue to build their game around what they do defensively and that will translate to confidence and assertion in attack. It's up to Munster, Cameron Smith and Jahrome Hughes to get their kicks to the right spots, Jesse Bromwich has to lead the forwards, while dynamic fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen looms as a match-winner if it's close down the stretch.

For the Eels to win
Don't be intimidated by the aura of AAMI Park. If Parra can get away to a positive start and score some early points it might create some minor panic among the Storm and disrupt their game plan. By the same token the Eels can't get flustered if the Melbourne side gets away to a flyer. Moses proved against Brisbane that he can handle the bright lights of finals footy, while the contributions of the back three of Clint Gutherson, Maika Sivo and Blake Ferguson will be crucial.

Brett Kimmorley says
Parramatta will go to Melbourne without any fear after a massive victory last week. They played once during the season in Magic Round and the Storm flogged Parra, but that scarring will be gone because of how well they played last week. They should go to Melbourne with confidence, Mitchell Moses is in career-best form and he's managing games really well. The Storm are lacking in game management at the moment and there's a bit of vulnerability in their game. If the Eels can play that brand of football they played last week and back themselves, we should see an arm wrestle for the full 80 minutes. Storm by 1.

Stat Attack
Eels winger Maika Sivo's 20 tries topped the NRL in 2019, while his 21 line breaks ranked second. Eels halfback Mitch Moses was first in try assists (24), kicks (326) and kick metres (8,954). They were both at their best in Sunday's emphatic triumph over the Broncos.

And another thing ...
It's 10 years since Melbourne beat Parramatta in the 2009 grand final, a trophy which was later stripped due the Storm's salary cap breaches. Eels fans have long memories - they will want revenge.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gotta say I am really flat after week 1 of the finals... Our performance took the wind out of my sail and I haven't really been that interested in watching any footy since. Hopefully that is just me as a fan and the Storm players feel quite different.

I said before the Raiders game that if we didn't put in a really strong performance I didn't hold out hope of taking out the title, unfortunately that was the case. We will need to find some enthusiasm and form quickly. NAS provided some strong runs last week, we will need more of that and we will need our other forwards to go with him.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -showdown/

Hughes preaches patience in Eels showdown
Jonathan Healy
NRL.com reporter
Mon 16 Sep 2019

Storm halfback Jahrome Hughes says his side must be more patient in attack if they are to right the ship and beat the Eels on Saturday.

The Storm suffered a 12-10 loss to the Raiders on Saturday night, forcing them into an elimination final at AAMI Park.

Hughes felt the minor premiers' attack was disjointed at times against Melbourne and this is something that must be addressed quickly if they want to remain in the hunt.

"I think we can be a bit more composed in attack," Hughes said.

"We had our chances [against the Raiders], but we just couldn't ice it so it is back to the drawing board.

"We had a couple of sets on their line early and turned the ball over, so we have got to be better there and hopefully we are this week."

Melbourne's task won't be easy as they host an Eels side high on confidence following a 58-0 drubbing of the Broncos on Sunday.

Despite their next opponents' massive win, Hughes said it was crucial for the Storm to focus on their own preparation.

"This week at training we have got to be just looking at ourselves," he said.

"There are things there we need to be better at and that has got to be our main focus.

"We conceded the first try [against the Raiders] and we don't really like doing that.

"When we are playing our best footy we do start fast and are aggressive, so that is something we have got to work on."

Hughes has been the Storm's first-choice fullback for the majority of the season but has worn the No.7 jersey over the last month to make room for impressive youngster Ryan Papenhuyzen in the starting side.

Hughes said he had trained alongside Munster for large parts of the season, so making the change late in the year hadn't been as difficult as many would expect.

"I have got some great players around me ... I have been training there during the season, so that made it easier when we did make the switch,” Hughes said.

"It [positional change late in the season] is not ideal, but that is what the coach thinks is best for the team so I am happy to do whatever is best for the team.

"I don't really mind where I play ... I am just happy to be in the team wherever I get put."
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:22 amHughes felt the minor premiers' attack was disjointed at times against Melbourne and this is something that must be addressed quickly if they want to remain in the hunt.
The Raiders tactic of putting their trainer on the field every time we were in the attacking redzone certainly helped that disruption. Gave their team a couple of minutes each time to rest up, get set and prepare to defend their line. The Raiders have been using that tactic for a while - against the Sea Eagles it was obvious also - and it seems the NRL are happy to allow it. If that is the case, we must adopt the same tactic immediately.

Then I look forward to NRL360 where Crawley and Kent will claim that we invented it ::)
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm team named;

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Brandon Smith
15. Tui Kamikamica
16. Max King
17. Joe Stimson

18. Curtis Scott
19. Tino Faasuamaleaui
20. Tom Eisenhuth
21. Brodie Croft

No changes to the team named last week.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Eels team named;

1. Clinton Gutherson
2. Maika Sivo
3. Michael Jennings
4. Waqa Blake
5. Blake Ferguson
6. Dylan Brown
7. Mitchell Moses
8. Kane Evans
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Junior Paulo
11. Shaun Lane
2. Manu Ma’u
13. Marata Niukore

14. Brad Takairangi
15. Daniel Alvaro
16. Tepai Moeroa
17. Marata Niukore

18. Ray Stone
19. Jaeman Salmon
20. Peni Terepo
21. Josh Hoffman

The only change to the Eels team that smacked the Broncos last week, is the return of Kane Evans into the starting pack. Daniel Alvaro moves to the bench and Ray Stone drops to the extended bench.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

After the win over the Broncos last week, a number of Eels players have been quite cocky in the media. I hope those egos come crashing down on Saturday.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Same team, I fear for the same result
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We were pretty ordinary the last time we had to back up after a week 1 finals loss. I'm confident we'll be alright but it's a big test for the team knowing the road they've put themselves on.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

From the Daily Tele, it's behind a paywall but it's whipping up more anti Storm hysteria. I got on to it on Macquarie Sports Radio and it's down right embarrassing the mob mentality being displayed in Sydney.

Eels’ bitter reminder of Storm’s cheating ways
As if Parramatta needed more motivation to beat Melbourne this weekend. The Storm still brazenly flaunt their 2009 grand final triumph over the Eels, despite having their title stripped.

Maybe somebody can post the whole article / dross?
player191
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

It looks like being wet which is not great for us to put it in racing terms we have lengths on the eels a wet track evens it up a bit .don't forget these teams are very similar in makeup to super round and from memory we just got by in that one 64-10 .Storm by plenty on Saturday night and no injuries i give us a real chance against the Roosters there now JWH has been rubbed out ,he is far and away their best foward.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

player191 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:39 pm It looks like being wet which is not great for us to put it in racing terms we have lengths on the eels a wet track evens it up a bit .don't forget these teams are very similar in makeup to super round and from memory we just got by in that one 64-10 .Storm by plenty on Saturday night and no injuries i give us a real chance against the Roosters there now JWH has been rubbed out ,he is far and away their best foward.
It's this kind of thinking that worries me, thinking we've got it won before turning up. I know there should be confidence and belief but I think a lot of times we have it won before even putting on a boot, and it shows.
Why does Bellamy need a famous spray at every half time?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

B.Smith dealing with a shoulder issue but Bellamy thinks he'll be right. Pretty boned if he doesn't play.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:40 pm B.Smith dealing with a shoulder issue but Bellamy thinks he'll be right. Pretty boned if he doesn't play.
And the flu apparently...
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:40 pm B.Smith dealing with a shoulder issue but Bellamy thinks he'll be right. Pretty boned if he doesn't play.
I wonder if the shoulder injury is due to the chicken wing tackle.