Round 25 - Storm vs Cowboys

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Friday 6th September
7:55pm
AAMI Park

1st vs 12th. We won by 6 earlier this year when we played in Townsville. Both teams are on a two match winning streak.

Will be interesting to see how we actually run out. No doubt Munster is rested. Possibly Smith a well. We will be reluctant to rest across the board though after trying that previously and it not working out. But who knows.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It would be a shame to have such a strong record all year - only 4 losses by a combined margin of 8 points - only to get pumped in the final game of the regular season because we didn't take it seriously and coasted into finals.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Really interested to see what we do and if we care at all about the Falcons playing in the finals next week.

With the exception of Smith, who shouldn't play a second of this game, I'd probably only rest players if they were banged up.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... 5-preview/

Storm v Cowboys - Round 25 preview
NRL.com
Mon 2 Sep 2019

The Cowboys have to travel the virtual length of the east coast - Townsville to Melbourne - in their bid to win three games in a row for just the second time in 2019.

Buoyed by wins over the Panthers and Bulldogs in the past fortnight, they might be hoping Storm are just a little more subdued having wrapped up the J.J. Giltinan Shield already and possibly being without five-eighth Cameron Munster (shoulder injury).

Coach Craig Bellamy will be tempted to rest some of his stars now the minor premiership is secured before heading into the first week of qualifying semi-finals.

North Queensland won't mind how many he rests if it means improving their prospects of winning their last game of the year after an injury-ravaged and disappointing season.

Then again Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy spoke last weekend of his team's pride in losing only four games after 24 rounds. He won't be keen to let a fifth creep in at the last minute.

The Rundown

Key match-up
Opposing wingers Kyle Feldt (Cowboys) and Suliasi Vunivalu (Storm) had nine tries apiece going into last weekend. But Felt scored against the Bulldogs while Vunivalu wasn't among the six Melbourne tries at Lottoland. These two players are cunning characters, who build their games around those smarts, plus aggression, and not just their speed. Seeing them try to out-wit each other should be eye-catching.

For the Storm to win
It's the same as it is every week - Cameron Smith - who should change his nickname from 'The Accountant' to 'The Orchestra Conductor'. Smith wields his baton with his excellent service out of dummy-half - passes to the middle of the chest always - and his accurate choices. When he takes on the line, or decides to bamboozle the defences in other ways, it always seems to be the right option. If Munster is out then Smith becomes even more crucial.

For the Cowboys to win
Former Storm trooper Jordan McLean will want to ensure opposition props Nelson Asofa-Solomona and Jesse Bromwich remember how good he can be, when he returns to his former club's home ground. If he, Scott Bolton and Jason Taumalolo can be as impressive as they've been the last two weeks without Matt Scott, then the boys from the tropics have their platform to unveil a few surprises for Melbourne.

Brett Kimmorley says
A celebration for Melbourne at home as they pick up the JJ Giltinan Shield. The Cowboys were good last week but I don’t think they have the game to challenge the Melbourne Storm. The interesting thing here is who the Storm use in the halfback and fullback jerseys. I think Jahrome Hughes and Ryan Papenhuyzen showed enough last week to suggest that’s how semi-finals week one will look. Storm by 10

Stat Attack
To show the contrast in fortunes for these two teams in 2019, Storm leads the NRL in line breaks with 114, while the Cowboys are in 16th spot on 61.

And another thing ...
Cameron Smith is two points - or a shot at goal - from becoming the third player this year to hit 200 points. Latrell Mitchell (Roosters) and Jarrod Croker (Raiders) are already there.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hope I am wrong, but I can't help but feel there may be some complacency this week.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:04 am I hope I am wrong, but I can't help but feel there may be some complacency this week.
Need the club to fake a player milestone and we'll be right.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin Olam
5. Sandor Earl
6. Brodie Croft
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Max King
15. Tui Kamikamica
16. Tino Faasuamaleaui
17. Tom Eisenhuth

18. Curtis Scott
19. Joe Stimson
20. Billy Walters
21. Harry Grant
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Munster, Addo-Carr and Brandon Smith all rested.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cows team named;

1. Scott Drinkwater
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Jordan Kahu
4. Tom Opacic
5. Murray Taulagi
6. John Asiata
7. Michael Morgan
8. Scott Bolton
9. Jake Granville
10. Jordan McLean
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Shane Wright
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Josh McGuire
15. Coen Hess
16. Peter Hola
17. Francis Molo

18. Corey Jensen
19. Reuben Cotter
20. Tom Gilbert
21. Jake Clifford

I thought Clifford might get a run.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... v-cowboys/

Team Comments

The JJ Giltinan Shield will be presented to Melbourne Storm as NRL minor premiers following Friday night's clash with the Cowboys at AAMI Park.

With 40 points already locked away for the season, Storm has clinched its third minor premiership in four seasons.

Meanwhile, Cameron Smith requires four points in Friday night’s clash to break his own premiership record for most points in a season by a hooker.

He raised his own record to 201 points last year. He also requires five goals to become the first hooker (and only the third forward) to kick 100 goals in a season.

Cameron Munster, Brandon Smith and Josh Addo-Carr will miss our final regular season home game.

The trio has been given a week off to recover from niggling injuries but are in no doubt for the first week of the finals.

Sandor Earl and Brodie Croft come into the starting team and Tui Kamikamica returns on the bench after missing a week due to an upper arm injury.

The other additions to the extended bench are Joe Stimson, Billy Walters, Curtis Scott and Harry Grant.

Head to head
Played 40, Storm 29, Cowboys 10 (1 draw)

Last meeting
Melbourne 18 d Cowboys 12 at 1300SMILES Stadium, round 5

Last meeting at AAMI Park
Melbourne 18 d Cowboys 8 – March 22, 2018
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There's your milestones Blazza
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Really liking what I have seen from Max King. The kid is doing well to join the team so late in the season, make his way into first grade and then stand up with his opportunities.

Olam hasn't gotten the praise he probably deserves either. Been on fire since breaking into the team.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

yourhero wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:32 pm 1. Scott Drinkwater
2. Kyle Feldt
3. Jordan Kahu
4. Tom Opacic
5. Murray Taulagi
6. John Asiata
7. Michael Morgan
8. Scott Bolton
9. Jake Granville
10. Jordan McLean
11. Gavin Cooper
12. Shane Wright
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Josh McGuire
15. Coen Hess
16. Peter Hola
17. Francis Molo

18. Corey Jensen
19. Reuben Cotter
20. Tom Gilbert
21. Jake Clifford
Hope the crowd give the grub hell.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:47 pm Really liking what I have seen from Max King. The kid is doing well to join the team so late in the season, make his way into first grade and then stand up with his opportunities.

Olam hasn't gotten the praise he probably deserves either. Been on fire since breaking into the team.
Totally agree re both those lads.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Wonder why Earl gets a run before Scott? Also I would have thought that Stimson would be a straight swap for Brandon. Not much utility value on the bench at present.