Round 25 - Storm vs Cowboys

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thinking it's a straight shoot out for bench spots
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:54 amWonder why Earl gets a run before Scott?
Either Scott is not seen as a winger, didn't want to disrupt the team ahead of finals (by moving Olam for example) or Scott is simply on the outer. I tend to think the latter. Previously he hasn't handled being left out of first grade very well.
Danger D wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:54 amAlso I would have thought that Stimson would be a straight swap for Brandon.
Given that Brandon plays in the middle I think Tui as a replacement is a better fit. I don't see Stimson as a middle forward. At least not an overly effective one.
Danger D wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:54 amNot much utility value on the bench at present.
Agree with this. Perhaps the coaching staff believe there is sufficent versatility in the starting side that they can accommodate a shuffle if forced. Or one of the extended bench get a late call up. I think Harry Grant or Billy Walters would be a good bench option over Eisenhuth getting 6 minutes at the end of the game for a third week in a row.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:00 pm
yourhero wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:04 am I hope I am wrong, but I can't help but feel there may be some complacency this week.
Need the club to fake a player milestone and we'll be right.
There’s a player milestone every bloody week with Cam Smith playing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:35 am
Danger D wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:54 amWonder why Earl gets a run before Scott?
Either Scott is not seen as a winger, didn't want to disrupt the team ahead of finals (by moving Olam for example) or Scott is simply on the outer. I tend to think the latter. Previously he hasn't handled being left out of first grade very well.
Danger D wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:54 amAlso I would have thought that Stimson would be a straight swap for Brandon.
Given that Brandon plays in the middle I think Tui as a replacement is a better fit. I don't see Stimson as a middle forward. At least not an overly effective one.
Danger D wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:54 amNot much utility value on the bench at present.
Agree with this. Perhaps the coaching staff believe there is sufficent versatility in the starting side that they can accommodate a shuffle if forced. Or one of the extended bench get a late call up. I think Harry Grant or Billy Walters would be a good bench option over Eisenhuth getting 6 minutes at the end of the game for a third week in a row.
You may be right that Scott's on the outer because I'm sure he offers more than Sandor even if his primary spot isn't as a winger. I think Stimson can do a job defending in the middle, but I will agree that his impact in attack (especially straight runs up the middle) are less impactful than Tui. I was more thinking he would have taken Max King's spot as he has a bit more utility value. Wouldn't mind seeing the skipper come off with about 15min to go - or even earlier if we can manage it. We don't need him at all in this game and the less time he spends risking injury/suspension the more comfortable I'll be.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

[quote. Wouldn't mind seeing the skipper come off with about 15min to go - or even earlier if we can manage it. We don't need him at all in this game and the less time he spends risking injury/suspension the more comfortable I'll be.
[/quote]

I'd like to see the skipper step back, just for once, and let the others run the show. Smithy was such a dominant influence against Manly that we need to let the others grow and hopefully shine.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Bullucked wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:48 pm [quote. Wouldn't mind seeing the skipper come off with about 15min to go - or even earlier if we can manage it. We don't need him at all in this game and the less time he spends risking injury/suspension the more comfortable I'll be.
I'd like to see the skipper step back, just for once, and let the others run the show. Smithy was such a dominant influence against Manly that we need to let the others grow and hopefully shine.
[/quote]

+1 good point. We need to learn how to win without Cam. Or at the very least learn to rely on him a lot less.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm fine with Cam running the show like that, every single game, until he finishes up. Why have an immortal take a back seat when he could be out there dominating and winning games for us? If he isn't getting the job done effectively, great let's have that conversation then.

Especially as we head into finals, I don't want Cam sitting back in an attempt to let Croft, Hughes or even Munster take the reigns and see what they can do. I will take the most influential player the game has seen every single day.

Every team relies on their best player/s. I don't see a need to sacrifice today in the hope that one day down the track we may be better for it.

I am 100% happy for the skipper to have less minutes in this game however - but more so to avoid injury, fatigue or suspension - as you mentioned initially Danger D.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tom Eisenhuth and Curtis Scott drop out.

Updated team;

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin Olam
5. Sandor Earl
6. Brodie Croft
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Max King
15. Tui Kamikamica
16. Tino Faasuamaleaui
19. Joe Stimson

20. Billy Walters
21. Harry Grant
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:26 am I'm fine with Cam running the show like that, every single game, until he finishes up. Why have an immortal take a back seat when he could be out there dominating and winning games for us? If he isn't getting the job done effectively, great let's have that conversation then.

Especially as we head into finals, I don't want Cam sitting back in an attempt to let Croft, Hughes or even Munster take the reigns and see what they can do. I will take the most influential player the game has seen every single day.

Every team relies on their best player/s. I don't see a need to sacrifice today in the hope that one day down the track we may be better for it.

I am 100% happy for the skipper to have less minutes in this game however - but more so to avoid injury, fatigue or suspension - as you mentioned initially Danger D.
I agree with everything you've said RE making the most of a future immortal in the side. I'm just nervous about what happens if we rely on him too much and then he becomes unavailable for some reason. It's probably PTSD from the '08 grand final.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:18 amI agree with everything you've said RE making the most of a future immortal in the side. I'm just nervous about what happens if we rely on him too much and then he becomes unavailable for some reason. It's probably PTSD from the '08 grand final.
I totally get that... Though we are much better placed to accommodate his absence than we were in 2008. Russ Aitken vs Brandon Smith isn't really a comparison.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Plus Grant is an actual dummy half too whereas Aitken never was.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not that I put all of the blame for that horrific loss at the feet of Aitken. Manly were just "on" that day and beat us across the park.

I went back and had a look at the stats for that game. They were closer than I would have thought for a game with a 40 point margin.
Manly actually missed 50 Tackles whilst we only missed 32.
The only really telling stats were Manly held the ball a bit better than us, so we had more defence to do, and
8 Line Breaks to 2... unfortunately they virtually all resulted in tries :(
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

With Eisenhuth dropping off the bench, I hope they play Harry Grant.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Final team named - our bench will be Max King, Tui Kamikamica, Joe Stimson, and Harry Grant.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hughes channeling his inner Croft so far...