Round 24 - Sea Eagles vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hostile doesn't cover it, aggressive, abusive and a danger to society.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I went to a game at Brookvale once with my GF at the time (2014). Abused numerous times - often screamed at.

"F*cking cheats" x 10 - Directed at us.
"What kind of f*ckwit would support the Storm"
"F*ck off back to Melbourne c*nt"
Anytime the Storm scored there was something said. We weren't overtly celebrating but would cheer a try. Same story whenever Manly scored - they would say something, or just scream and look at us.

I went to the gents at halftime and some c*ckhead just kept saying stuff. I eventually told him "mate, f*ck off". Then him and four of his mates wanted to fight :roll:

I swore I'd never go back after that. Despite almost breaking that vow a couple of times.

Their poor excuse for fans aside, the venue is an embarrassment. Can't believe some Sydney media personalities calling for 'suburban grounds' like this to be used more often, even for finals. It's amateur hour.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Maybe that was an anomaly (and I would assume it is). But I have heard some other stories from Storm fans that don't paint the venue or Manly fans in a positive light.
Bullucked
Monsoon
Monsoon

Danger D wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:06 am
yourhero wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 am I will be in Sydney and seriously thought about going. If it wasn't for the utter sh*ttyness of Brookvale Oval and the feral Manly fans, I would be going. Unfortunately I cannot stomach either, especially the thought of doing it with two young kids.
I have the most respect for Storm fans who go to Brookvale. It looks like such a shitty ground to watch an NRL game and on top of that there's the Manly supporters who are characteristically hostile.
And it's a shithole to get to on public transport, as are the majority of the suburban grounds in NSW. We're truly blessed here in Melbourne.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:04 am
bula wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:54 am I feel like Bellamy wants to to test the new combo against a premiership contender and make a decision after the game on which way to go.
I like your thinking but I wish he had made this decision 2 weeks ago. I suppose the club is being careful with Brodie's confidence. Could imagine nothing worse than telling him he isn't good enough and then having to rely on him in the finals if we had an injury/suspension in the halves.
Do feel for Croft but it's not like he hasn't been given a long leash this season.

No offense to Croft but being able to play a more talented player over him plus having Paps free to play 80. It makes us a better team. I think this is the change Bellamy's been wanting to make for awhile.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I feel for Croft as well, because it's quite clear that a lack of effort in games is certainly not his issue - he's just not the Cronk 2.0 that he was hyped up to be, at least not consistently.

I do think that Hughes at 7 and Papenhuyzen at 1 is our best option moving forward, but I'll still be really surprised if Bellamy sticks to this.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Insomniac wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:37 pmI do think that Hughes at 7 and Papenhuyzen at 1 is our best option moving forward
Ditto.
Insomniac wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:37 pmbut I'll still be really surprised if Bellamy sticks to this.
Bellamy spoke about it in the coach's media today. He obviously feels bad for Brodie but basically said this was a tough decision made in the best interest of the team. Wants to see this line-up in action again. Said that due to our position on the ladder (top two spot sewn up), it gave us a chance to take a look at this.

He said Brodie is hurting but took it pretty well. No guarantee what we will see come finals time - I honestly don't think Bellamy knows yet.

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... nt-things/
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just seen some of Bellamy's quotes. I'm less optimistic about this being a permanent thing. Could really use a great showing from Hughes/Paps/and someone on the bench to push Bellamy over the line.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:51 pm Chances of Pene or Schonig getting a run next week if top is sewn up?

Very unlikely ..Aaron Pene did his ACL playing for Easts last week ..had surgery in Melbourne obviously out with Christian on the sideline

Also Joe Stimson would’ve come straight back into the team but got charged by the MRC playing for the falcons and got a week for a dangerous tackle out 1 week
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

sallymay wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:52 pm
Mattpoet wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:51 pm Chances of Pene or Schonig getting a run next week if top is sewn up?

Very unlikely ..Aaron Pene did his ACL playing for Easts last week ..had surgery in Melbourne obviously out with Christian on the sideline

Also Joe Stimson would’ve come straight back into the team but got charged by the MRC playing for the falcons and got a week for a dangerous tackle out 1 week
Thanks for the update, Sallymay.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:56 am I went to a game at Brookvale once with my GF at the time (2014). Abused numerous times - often screamed at.

"F*cking cheats" x 10 - Directed at us.
"What kind of f*ckwit would support the Storm"
"F*ck off back to Melbourne c*nt"
Anytime the Storm scored there was something said. We weren't overtly celebrating but would cheer a try. Same story whenever Manly scored - they would say something, or just scream and look at us.

I went to the gents at halftime and some c*ckhead just kept saying stuff. I eventually told him "mate, f*ck off". Then him and four of his mates wanted to fight :roll:

I swore I'd never go back after that. Despite almost breaking that vow a couple of times.

Their poor excuse for fans aside, the venue is an embarrassment. Can't believe some Sydney media personalities calling for 'suburban grounds' like this to be used more often, even for finals. It's amateur hour.
I've heard similar stories about Shark Park. At least Shark Park has a decent turf though. The grass at Brookvale is a borderline OH&S issue with the way it gets chewed up with minimal contact.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Insomniac wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:37 pm I feel for Croft as well, because it's quite clear that a lack of effort in games is certainly not his issue
This makes me optimistic when it comes to Croft. I would rather have a player with poor technique and good effort than vice versa. Hopefully he will come good in time and is happy to develop in the background with one of the best coaching staff in the league. Cronk had to bide his time for years behind Lockyer and Thurston and it just made him better IMO.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... dge-match/

'We owe them': Smith revved up for Manly grudge match
Jonathan Healy
NRL.com reporter
Thu 29 Aug 2019

Melbourne hooker Brandon Smith has plenty of reasons to be excited by Saturday night's clash against Manly as a new chapter in one of the game's biggest modern rivalries is ready to be written.

All Storm players receive an extensive lesson on the history of the club when they first arrive at AAMI Park and Smith knows just how important Saturday's road trip is for his club.

The two NRL powerhouses have had some epic clashes over the years and their blockbuster round-24 contest will have massive ramifications on the make-up of the top four.

A victory for the Storm will clinch the minor premiership, while the fourth-placed Sea Eagles can move a step closer to avoiding a first-up sudden-death playoff if they upset the league leaders.

"We owe them about 20 and they owe us about 20," Smith said on Thursday while promoting the NRL Australian Apprenticeships program as part of National Skills Week.

"It's that rivalry continuing on from that 2007 [Storm grand final win over Manly] and 2010 era and beyond.

"What Des Hasler has got going on down there at the moment is something special as he has taken Manly from a bottom five team to arguably one of the best teams in the comp."

When the sides met in Melbourne last month the Sea Eagles won 11-10 courtesy of a Daly Cherry-Evans field goal deep into extra time and there's the ongoing rivalry between the two veteran coaches that always seems to add further fuel to the fire.

Saturday's clash also marks the 100th appearance in the purple jersey for prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

He does much of the grunt work early in games and Smith is in awe of the giant Kiwi.

"To be able to play 100 games in four years is something special," Smith said of Asofa-Solomona.

"He is 23 and playing 100 games, so that shows the kind of player he is.

"I don’t really want to sign at any other place because I don’t want to have to tackle him, as tackling him at training is hard enough.”

Smith said Asofa-Solomona's century milestone had not yet been brought up by Craig Bellamy or the rest of the Storm coaching staff, but he expects that to change before kick-off on Saturday.

"He is only 23 and he has played 100 games, while I am 23 and I haven’t even played 40 yet, so it's a testament to the player he is," Smith said.

"He is a pleasure to play with, a cracking guy and I look forward to ripping in for him this weekend."
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brodie Croft and Sandor Earl drop out of the 21

Guess Brodie is off the brissie to play for Easts god knows they need a bit of help at the moment
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

sallymay wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:46 pm Brodie Croft and Sandor Earl drop out of the 21

Guess Brodie is off the brissie to play for Easts god knows they need a bit of help at the moment
I was annoyed he didn't play there last week.