Round 24 - Sea Eagles vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sat 31st August
5:30pm
Lottoland - AKA 'the NRL's sh*ttest venue'

1st vs 4th. We can expect another tough battle against the old enemy. They will no doubt be niggling and playing dirty. We will need to be resilient and not react too aggressively and risk any suspensions. This could be a preview of week 1 of the finals.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I will be in Sydney and seriously thought about going. If it wasn't for the utter sh*ttyness of Brookvale Oval and the feral Manly fans, I would be going. Unfortunately I cannot stomach either, especially the thought of doing it with two young kids.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... 4-preview/
NRL.com
Mon 26 Aug 2019

You can bet Melbourne will be desperate to upstage arch-rivals Manly after losing a golden point thriller back in round 19.

A Daly Cherry-Evans field goal that night proved Manly's finals credentials and handed the Storm a rare loss at AAMI Park.

The Sea Eagles sent an ominous reminder that they're genuine contenders by beating Canberra 18-14 last Sunday to reclaim fourth spot.

Melbourne, meanwhile, are all but assured of winning the minor premiership after reaching a virtually unassailable 38 competition points with a scrappy 24-8 victory over last-placed Gold Coast.

We've seen many fiery clashes between these sides at Lottoland previously - not least the infamous Battle of Brookvale in 2011 - so expect the heat to be turned up again.

The Rundown

Key match-up
Addin Fonua-Blake and Marty Taupau have formed a destructive prop partnership for Manly but Melbourne's Jesse Bromwich and Nelson Asofa-Solomona are arguably the best combination in the NRL. A ferocious tussle up front should ensue.

For the Sea Eagles to win
Moving Melbourne around the park and challenging their defensive structures through second-phase play is the blueprint. Manly popped 22 offloads compared to the Storm's eight last time out and it worked a treat.

For the Storm to win
Maintain the energy and enthusiasm. A first-place finish is near certain and but Melbourne can't afford to look towards the finals yet with Manly ready to swoop and land a psychological blow. Master motivator Craig Bellamy and captain Cameron Smith must get the troops ready for a dogfight.

Brett Kimmorley says
Manly were down to 15 players last week and Tom Trbojevic didn’t really have much of an impact on the match but they still won. Their forwards were great. Taupau, Fonua-Blake, Jake Trbojevic and the two hookers (Koroisau and Fainu) were great – I thought they were the best five players on the field in Canberra. I wouldn’t expect Cameron Munster and Cameron Smith to have below par performances from a technical viewpoint two weeks in a row. Expect a masterclass from one of them, but I don’t know if Melbourne are a bit off confidence at the moment. Sea Eagles by 1

Stat Attack
Manly winger Reuben Garrick has quietly snuck up the top try-scorer's list, his four-pointer last week elevating him to equal-second with 16 tries in his debut season.

And another thing ...
Melbourne have won their past three matches at Lottoland and will be out for revenge after losing to the Sea Eagles in golden point in round 19.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Manly scored 1 try against us and it was off a floating bomb that none of our players looked interested in defusing. Their attack bothered us a bit but you'd think they put on number on us. Defence is where they frustrated us more. Plus they were probably more impressive in beating us at Aami last season if we're being honest.

Expecting Croft to be named at 7 this week. Then we have a few days to speculate what Bellamy will do.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm team named:

1. Ryan Papenhuyzen
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Jahrome Hughes
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Brandon Smith
15. Tino Faasuamaleaui
16. Max King
17. Tom Eisenhuth

18. Curtis Scott
19. Brodie Croft
20. Sandor Earl
21. Harry Grant
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Very interesting...

Chambers named despite being ruled out for 2-4 weeks with an ankle injury on a few days ago (although timeframe for being out may have just been media speculation). Olam (rightly) keeps his spot. Scott moved to the extended bench.

Hughes named at 7. If anything, I think that creates more uncertainty in the lead up to kick-off. I hope we run out that way, but if Brodie is in the shortened team of 19, we will have speculation right up until an hour before kick-off.

Kamikamica out with an arm injury, replaced by Tino.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scum team named;

1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Brendan Elliot
4. Moses Suli
5. Reuben Garrick
6. Dylan Walker
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. Martin Taupau
11. Jack Gosiewski
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Manase Fainu
15. Corey Waddell
16. Morgan Boyle
17. Taniela Paseka

18. Lachlan Croker
19. Tevita Funa
20. Brad Parker
21. Lloyd Perrett
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Our bench is pretty ehhh after Smith. Could really use Tino or King breaking out over the next few weeks. Would love for Harry to get a spot too.

Croft's dropping is well overdue. Don't think Bellamy wouldn't name him at 19 if he was going to play.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:19 pmOur bench is pretty ehhh after Smith. Could really use Tino or King breaking out over the next few weeks. Would love for Harry to get a spot too.
Definitely need a prop to step up. Tui had 12 hit-ups last week (117m), 20 tackles (0 missed/0 ineffective) in 33 mins.
King had 5 runs (61m), 9 tackles (0 missed/1 ineffective) in 16 mins.
Eisenhuth had 1 run (11m), 6 tackles (1 missed/0 ineffective) in 7 mins.

Hopefully Jesse and NAS can play a few more mins this week (only 49 and 39 respectively last week), King to get a few more minutes and Tino to show what he is capable of and we plug the gap.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chances of Pene or Schonig getting a run next week if top is sewn up?
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mattpoet wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:51 pm Chances of Pene or Schonig getting a run next week if top is sewn up?
Unlikely. Schonig played his first game last weekend after many weeks injured, and Pene did not play

The dropping of Croft is huge. A premiership contender does not normally drop HB at this time of year. Shows the level of frustration at his performance, it would seem.

Joe played the promised full 80 in QCUP last week, but not returned to the 21 this week . Surprised
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I feel like Bellamy wants to to test the new combo against a premiership contender and make a decision after the game on which way to go.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

18 - 21 weird that there are 3 backs and a hooker. Particularly when Joe Stimson is available. Starting to look a little thread bare in prop department, which is a little concerning in lead up to finals, particularly as NAS has carry over points.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

bula wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:54 am I feel like Bellamy wants to to test the new combo against a premiership contender and make a decision after the game on which way to go.
I like your thinking but I wish he had made this decision 2 weeks ago. I suppose the club is being careful with Brodie's confidence. Could imagine nothing worse than telling him he isn't good enough and then having to rely on him in the finals if we had an injury/suspension in the halves.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:27 am I will be in Sydney and seriously thought about going. If it wasn't for the utter sh*ttyness of Brookvale Oval and the feral Manly fans, I would be going. Unfortunately I cannot stomach either, especially the thought of doing it with two young kids.
I have the most respect for Storm fans who go to Brookvale. It looks like such a shitty ground to watch an NRL game and on top of that there's the Manly supporters who are characteristically hostile.