Round 23 - Storm vs Titans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pros
- Overcoming the refereeing and poor completions of the first half to run away with the game.
- Max King's debut - some solid runs. Good to get some NRL experience ahead of Finals if he is called upon again.
- Paps continuing to carve up. 240m / 1 Try / 2 LBs / 1 LBA / 5 TB
- Kenny 2019 continues to roll on. He almost slammed that ball through the AAMI park surface :lol:
- Defence looked good for the most part and our right edge held firm for a change. Genuinely not sure Croft comes back in to the line up. Olam with a few great shots.

Cons
- Insipid refereeing performance in the first half. Truly diabolical and nothing short of a premeditated stitch-up. 8 penalties, numerous flat (at worst) balls called forward, imaginary knock ons, etc
- Curtis Scott's mullet. Don't bring that Cronulla rubbish here mate.
- Crowd 11,758. Sydney-esque.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bullucked wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:14 am
irony1
/ˈʌɪrəni/
noun
the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
"‘Don't go overboard with the gratitude,’ he rejoined with heavy irony"
synonyms: sarcasm, sardonicism, dryness, causticity, sharpness, acerbity, acid, bitterness, trenchancy, mordancy, cynicism
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I hope the poor first half doesn’t impact the club’s view of the Croft/Hughes switch, because the issues in the first half had SFA to do with our halfback. I’m sure it won’t and the decision will be made independent of that.

Someone said above that they don’t think we can win without Croft at HB... I’m kind of the opposite, I have real concerns keeping Croft at HB. Far too many negative plays, consistently, both in defence and attack.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:13 pm I hope the poor first half doesn’t impact the club’s view of the Croft/Hughes switch, because the issues in the first half had SFA to do with our halfback. I’m sure it won’t and the decision will be made independent of that.

Someone said above that they don’t think we can win without Croft at HB... I’m kind of the opposite, I have real concerns keeping Croft at HB. Far too many negative plays, consistently, both in defence and attack.
I can kind of understand where they’re coming from though. I feel Croft cops a tonne of criticism but his kicking game has certainly improved.

It’s his passing which has always bothered me. He always passes too deep and behind players instead of allowing them to run on to the ball.

I’m not totally sold on Hughes at halfback - mainly because the role means he’ll have to do way more tackling and kicking than he normally does. That being said he’s got a great football brain, runs the ball well and has a good passing game.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

If Croft's passing worries you, have a look at Hughes passing from the weekend. A lot of them were for looping and high. Someone needs me kept calling them helicopter/telegraph passes. He was not a fan of Hughes at halfback.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hughes makes things happen even if not perfect. Plays with instinct as well which is something Croft rarely does. Croft leaves you feeling short changed with everything he does.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Similar to what they did with Nicho Hynes, the club put together a short video covering the lead up to and aftermath of Max King's debut.

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... orm-debut/

It's a nice touch and good to see how much of a big deal the club makes club debut games for young players. King obviously had a dig with his opportunity and made the most of it. Great to see.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks TC, love a bit of the Adder