The Annual "Wrestling" Media Attack on the Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Damn, they are really going hard at the captain.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:59 pm Damn, they are really going hard at the captain.
New tactic? Use the media to go as hard and as personal as possible, to put him/us off our game?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Edit. OLD tactic, but more firepower?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Article number 57 of the 2019 smear campaign...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 70fc99c3f0

Paul Gallen: Gallen: How ‘messy’ Cameron Smith gets away with ‘more than most’
"Staff Writers" - Fox Sports
19th August 2019

Cronulla skipper Paul Gallen has lifted the lid on what makes Cameron Smith so good at controlling tackles.

Melbourne’s wrestling tactics have come under the microscope again with Smith the latest player to come under fire over an apparent ear pull on Canberra’s Bailey Simonsson.

Smith is widely regarded as one of the best players at controlling the ruck, with Gallen explaining in a Wide World of Sports column why he’s able to “get away with more than most”.

“Cameron just makes every tackle so messy,” Gallen wrote. “He manages to flop around and act like he’s falling, when he’s the best player I’ve ever seen — he wouldn’t fall over anything. He gets himself twisted and caught up in the tackle, slowing the ruck down. He’s just too good at it.

“How can you bag him, when it’s within the rules? If you can get away with it, get away with it. That’s what the game’s all about.

“We are all trained to push the limits of the rules. None of us are trained to make a tackle, count one, two, three, then get up and let the bloke have a comfortable play the ball. We are all trained to make it as uncomfortable as possible for the opposition and to push the rules to the nth degree without giving a penalty.

“That’s the reality of what we do. Melbourne just do it better than anyone else, because they train so hard at it.”

Smith reportedly received a warning from the NRL over the act on Simonsson, while teammate Nelson Asofa-Solomona was cleared despite a crusher tackle on South Sydney’s Dean Britt which sparked a war of words between the clubs.

Gallen believed it was the Asofa-Solomona controversy that put the spotlight back on the Storm.

“All these little things have come from Melbourne. The grapple, the chicken wing, the rolling pin — they’ve all come into the NRL from the Storm,” Gallen wrote.

“But at the time they start them, they’re not breaking the rules. It’s not until someone gets hurt or the league decides that it’s not within the spirit of the game that the rules are changed.

“Then, Melbourne come up with something else. They’ve got a world class jiu-jitsu coach down there, who has ingrained these different techniques in them.

“And I’m not going to sit here and bag the Storm. They work so hard at it and if they’re not breaking the rules at the time, there’s not too much to whinge about.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't have much issue with what Gal said, but does nobody else see the hypocrisy in going to a player with a legitimately sordid record to comment on a player with what, 3 games of suspension in an 18 year career???

Seriously, f*ck the NRL media.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Storm Spirit wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:55 pm Hooper has an agenda and Fox are doing his bidding.

Pretty clear.
I think it's the other way around. It ain't Hooper who has the agenda. Who pays Kent and Crawler? Who - for that matter - pays Slothfield? And which media organisation had "staff writers" beat up an interview with Gallen?
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Utha
Squall
Squall

Not buying Big League magazine or the Annual anymore, nor am I watching Pox League anymore, as they’re all part of the criminal Ltd News empire. Fed up with all this shit.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cronk was pretty good on this topic last night.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:19 am Cronk was pretty good on this topic last night.
Did you notice Paul Kent shut the f*ck up when Cronk was talking? Where were his baseless accusations of the Storm ‘absolutely training how to hurt people’ during this segment?

Gutless prick.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I also like how John Bateman did the exact same thing to Smith 90 seconds before Smith's tackle, but it just gets glossed over/widely ignored.

11:40 to go in the game - Bateman grabs Smith's collar and drags his hands up over Smith's ears. Precisely zero outcry. Definitely not two weeks of backpage images/articles about how much of a grub he is.

Paul Kent actually tried to blame the club for releasing the pics of the Bateman tackle and "trying to influence the conversation". That comment in particular had me fired up. He is so far the rabbit hole, he can't even sense when he is making statements dripping in hypocrisy. Not to mention the club has said SFA.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I am SO angry at this outrageous treatment of our club and captain. I vowed not to watch NRL360, but channel-surfed last night into the middle of the debate, where Kent basically defamed Smith et al by insinuating they deliberately go out to injure other players. Kent was totally out of line. Extraordinary.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:50 pmKent basically defamed Smith et al by insinuating they deliberately go out to injure other players. Kent was totally out of line. Extraordinary.
100% agree. Defamation should seriously be something the club and Smith look at pursuing.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Did anyone hear the blue between Finchy and some grub, was it Kent?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullucked wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:36 pm Did anyone hear the blue between Finchy and some grub, was it Kent?
Finchy and James Hooper. Finchy was embarrassing him. Literally the only media personality that has pressed back against the barrage of abuse. Hooper didn’t know what to do.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/hang-o ... 52j0h.html

Champion Data relating to slowing down the ruck. Somehow, I don't think this information will be reported in News media