Round 20 - Broncos vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Friday 2nd August
7:55pm
Suncorp Stadium

1st vs 8th.
We have a 70% win record against the Broncos.
We have an 80% win record at Suncorp.
The Broncos haven't lost since Round 15.

Hopefully we aren't asleep for the first 20 minutes which has unfortunately been a regular occurrence this year.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Might need to start Brandon. Can't keep relying on him to lift the whole side after 20 pathetic minutes every week.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Lucas wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:32 pm Might need to start Brandon. Can't keep relying on him to lift the whole side after 20 pathetic minutes every week.
He provides great impact off the bench against tiring forwards, so unless he's hooking I think that's his best spot. I also think this is how we should be using NAS; start with Christian or Tino and bring Nelson on after 15
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'd love to see Tui start, see how he goes.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... 0-preview/

Broncos v Storm - Round 20 preview
NRL.com
Tue 30 Jul 2019

It doesn't seem that long ago that the Broncos were given little or no chance of playing finals football.

But here we are six weeks out from the play-offs and they're in the top eight.

While they can thank the Knights and Sharks for alarming form slumps, the Broncos are only worrying about what's in front of them each week and quietly taking care of business.

The big test comes on Friday night against the competition leaders, who will be itching to get last week's home loss to Manly out of their system.

The Rundown

Key match-up
Payne Haas has been enormous for Brisbane and the NSW representative faces a big challenge in Melbourne enforcer Jesse Bromwich. The Broncos need to control the middle to win the match, and Haas will no doubt play a key role if they do.

For the Broncos to win
It's easier said than done but they have to take a leaf out of Manly's book and put in an 80-minute defensive effort if the Broncos are going to spring an upset. They clocked off a bit in the second half last week against the Titans and can't afford a repeat on Friday. The in-form Brisbane pack has to lead the way from start to finish.

For the Storm to win
Watching Melbourne lose to Manly last week was like watching them lose to a version of themselves. It's so rare to see the Storm fail to rattle and wear down their opponents and it's unlikely Craig Bellamy got much sleep that night. They have to be ready for an early onslaught from the Broncos, while Cam Munster needs to bounce back after an up-and-down performance last week.

Brett Kimmorley says
We don’t see the Storm lose too many games back-to-back. This will be a big test for the Broncos – it’s not the right time to be playing Melbourne. The forward battle should be really good. The pressure will be put onto Jake Turpin and Anthony Milford by the Storm. I just think there will be a bit too much coming from the Melbourne Storm. Storm by 2

Stat Attack
No other Broncos forward comes close to Tevita Pangai's total of 45 offloads for the season so with the skilful big man suspended for a week someone will have to pick up the slack. The home side will need to play some second-phase footy to unsettle the rigid Storm defence and that's where Pangai's offloading skills have been such a weapon.

And another thing ...
The Broncos got the better of the Storm to win the 2006 grand final 15-8. The Broncos led 8-4 at half-time before the Storm levelled at 8-all. Corey Parker broke the deadlock with a penalty goal before the Broncos set up a try for Brent Tate that went through seven sets of hands. Parker missed the sideline conversion with 17 minutes remaining but a Darren Lockyer field goal with seven minutes to play sealed victory. The Broncos haven't won a premiership since.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Munster the key. He needs to get his short kicking game sorted and we'll be right.

Does Olam stick around for another week? Scott is back to Qcup this week IIRC.

Bench/forwards likely stay the same. Good luck trying to find more game time for Smith and Paps, Bellamy.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm team named:

1. Jahrome Hughes
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Brodie Croft
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Brandon Smith
15. Christian Welch
16. Joe Stimson
17. Ryan Papenhuyzen

18. Marion Seve
19. Tui Kamikamica
20. Tino Faasuamaleaui
21. Sandor Earl
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Is carrying a single prop on the bench the right way forward for the rest of the year? I know Brandon is playing that middle forward role spectacularly. Reducing his minutes for any reason should not be considered.

A strong argument could be mounted that the balance of the bench is just right. Two middle forwards, an edge forward as cover and can play minimal minutes around the middle if required. An explosive outside back that can spark something.

I'm in two minds... I've always liked us playing with more size but maybe that isn't required this year just due to the make-up of the team.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Broncos team named:

1. Anthony Milford
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Alex Glenn
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Darius Boyd
7. Jake Turpin
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Payne Haas
11. David Fifita
12. Matt Gillett
13. Thomas Flegler

14. James Segeyaro
15. Joe Ofahengaue
16. Rhys Kennedy
17. Pat Carrigan

18. Tom Dearden
20. Herbie Farnworth
21. Xavier Coates
22. Shaun Fensom
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:37 pm Is carrying a single prop on the bench the right way forward for the rest of the year? I know Brandon is playing that middle forward role spectacularly. Reducing his minutes for any reason should not be considered.

A strong argument could be mounted that the balance of the bench is just right. Two middle forwards, an edge forward as cover and can play minimal minutes around the middle if required. An explosive outside back that can spark something.

I'm in two minds... I've always liked us playing with more size but maybe that isn't required this year just due to the make-up of the team.
I reckon the mix is spot on. The fact that our 2 back rowers and our hooker all play 80 minutes, gives us the chance to be a bit creative on the bench. Dale is able to play front row when NAS or Jesse go off. Paps has the X factor, plus can cover any outside back spot. Also very helpful that our FB is also an excellent half.

Lots of flexibility.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:30 pm Storm team named:

1. Jahrome Hughes
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin Olam
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Brodie Croft
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Brandon Smith
15. Christian Welch
16. Joe Stimson
17. Ryan Papenhuyzen

18. Marion Seve
19. Tui Kamikamica
20. Tino Faasuamaleaui
21. Sandor Earl
With Hughes, Munster, Kenny, Dale, Brandon, Welch, Stimson and Paps I think this is one of the most versatile line-ups we've named. All those players can play multiple positions and our outside backs could also shuffle if needed. Cam Smith could play in the halves at a pinch. Chambers could do a job in the back row and Brodie Croft can try his hand at halfback if we really get stretched.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:55 amand Brodie Croft can try his hand at halfback if we really get stretched.
:lol: :lol: Let's not go overboard.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... e-broncos/

Inside the Storm's 21-year domination of the Broncos
Joel Gould
NRL.com Reporter
Fri 2 Aug 2019

It is a rugby league rivalry with a rich history but from the Broncos' angle their record against the Melbourne Storm in the past 21 years is more of an anomaly.

The Broncos have played the Melbourne Storm 47 times since 1998 and won just 13. The Storm remain the only club in the NRL with a winning record against Brisbane.

Melbourne's 15-8 grand final loss to the Broncos in 2006 no doubt still sticks in the craw for the Storm but since then Brisbane have lost all four finals played against Melbourne.

Former Storm five-eighth Scott Hill was at the club from its inception in 1998. He said there was an in-built determination in every player to have worn the purple jersey to beat Brisbane right from the outset.

"John Ribot started us and he started the Broncos. Along with Chris Johns, who had won titles as a Bronco, they were the guys who created the opportunity for us in Melbourne to wear the purple jumper so Brisbane has always been a battleground for us," Hill said.

"For us we always had that respect for them to prove that the club they had created was better than the one they came from. It was never talked about like that, but there has probably been that internal drive from the start to be at our best against Brisbane.

"Our first coach Chris Anderson never enjoyed playing the Broncos and he built that competitiveness within us. Then when Craig Bellamy came to us in 2003 after five years at the Broncos we always played for him to let him know that he had come to a better place.

"I was there for nine years and I can't count many games where I lost against the Broncos… although there is one [in the 2006 grand final] I remember clearly more than anything… but that is something I have got to live with."

When the Storm play the Sharks and Sea Eagles there is a genuine dislike for each other and the Melbourne players and coaching staff all understand it is a fierce rivalry.

There is not a loathing of Brisbane as such these days, perhaps because of the lopsided nature of recent results. When the Storm started in 1998 the Broncos were the benchmark team and Hill said that competitive desire to test themselves against the best had endured ever since.

"Now 20 years later who are the benchmark of the NRL and have been for the last 10 years? It used to be the Brisbane Broncos but now it would be fair to say it is the Melbourne Storm," Hill said.

"There is no team that we respect more than the Broncos. It is like a pure game of respect. Some of the closest mates I played rep footy with were Broncos players. I always catch up with Gorden Tallis, and Locky [Darren Lockyer] I am pretty close with."

Bellamy has been on the cusp of coaching the Broncos on several occasions since leaving in 2003. There has always been a sense that he saves something special for Brisbane. It was a point made by Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold, who spent three seasons under Bellamy as an assistant, when he was asked if he ever got the feeling the Storm v Broncos game was a special one, especially for the Melbourne coach.

"Especially for the coach. I felt that," Seibold responded with a chuckle.

"I'm not sure [why]. You'd have to ask Bellyache but I know he gets up for the Broncos games."

If that is the case then Bellamy was having none of it ahead of Friday night's clash with the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.
"I'd be disappointed if that was the case, if I coach my best only when we play the Broncos," Bellamy said on Thursday after arriving in Brisbane.

"I quite enjoy coming up here, especially being in Melbourne's wet weather this week. I don't think I coach any different in any week to be quite honest. I am pretty systematic in how I go about my job. It is routine for me. Every game is only worth two points. I'd like to think I try and do my job each and every week and stick to the systems. That is what I want my players to do.”

So much have the Storm enjoyed playing at Suncorp Stadium that they have not lost to the Broncos at the venue since 2009.

Bellamy highlighted other reasons why the Storm, often tagged as Queensland's "fourth team", had such a superb record.
"We have a lot of Queenslanders in our team and in our club," he said.

"They all really enjoy coming back and most of their families come along to the game and they get to see their families. We seem to quite enjoy playing at Suncorp. It is probably the best rugby league stadium in the world."

The Storm's best players over the years have been Maroons such as Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk, for whom Suncorp Stadium is a second home.

Melbourne's 1999 premiership-winning captain Glenn Lazarus, who also won two premierships with Brisbane, said those above-mentioned players all had extra incentive to beat the Broncos. They keep alive the quest for excellence against Brisbane that Hill said was there from the start.

"It is just a fact that Smith, Cronk and Slater all came from Queensland and they all wanted to beat the superior team in Queensland, which was the Broncos," Lazarus said.

Smith supported the Broncos as a youth and has also been close to signing with Brisbane multiple times.
In an interview with NRL.com ahead of his 400th NRL game it was no surprise he listed the 2008 elimination semi-final at Suncorp Stadium, where Melbourne beat Brisbane 16-14 in the final seconds, as a favourite of his stellar club career.

As for who will win on Friday night, Lazarus laid out clearly what the Broncos are up against.

"You know what you are going to get with Melbourne. They have lost three games this year – two by one point and one by just two points – so the style they play and the intensity they play with means they are always in the contest," Lazarus said.

"The Broncos are going to have to play out of their skin and be at their very best to beat them."
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This game makes me nervous in fact the next 3 games are making me incredibly nervous
Bartos
Squall
Squall

We know Sally. Every game makes you nervous 😂