Spammers

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not sure where I should be posting this but, can we do something to tighten the sign up process to stop the spammers posting hundreds of threads?

Alternatively, another solution might be to give long term members the power to delete these threads as they come up. Not sure about that one though.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agreed. Those capable of doing something about this clearly are not frequenting the site as often as they used to, so perhaps handing over some additional power to those that are might be advisable.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Imagine discovering this site and the first thing you see is all this spam? You'd never come back.

Whatever happened to some of the sites admin anyway? Surandy, Christabella, Super Cronk, Tigger, Dasmo, Thunderstruck? Most haven't been active in 6 years!
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well, the way it's going it's becoming less & less desirable to visit for us regulars as well. Hopefully someone does something soon.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's shithouse honestly.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

blazza18 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:03 pm It's shithouse honestly.
Thanks for your kind input. We are doing our best.

We clean up as quick as we can, but ultimately Buzz is the one you need to speak to.
I suspect the answer is that the proprietary software we use is not designed to deal with concerted attacks by Russian spambots.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mattpoet wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:21 am Not sure where I should be posting this but, can we do something to tighten the sign up process to stop the spammers posting hundreds of threads?

Alternatively, another solution might be to give long term members the power to delete these threads as they come up. Not sure about that one though.
Matt, the sign in process requires approval by a Mod or Site Manager. We are not approving all these .
I assume it is some sneaky Russian spambot thing that needs to be dealt with at a software level.
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The spammers seem to be effecting multiple forums.

Members should be patient.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

TC sounds like you guys need help. My post wasn't responded to. Where has all the 'help' gone? If you need help you should ask.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I mean the spam is STILL there.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Lucas wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:18 pm I mean the spam is STILL there.
The user has been deleted as have the posts. If you try to read any of the line items they say "Topic does not exist". For whatever reason, I cannot make them actually disappear from the list of topics.
We are not programmers with phpBB and so there is a limited amount we can do.

As I said previously, feel free to offer your services to Buzz.

I don't have to do this job, you know. I'm a qualified brain surgeon. I only do this job because I like being me own boss.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

It happened again
Buzz
Site Slave
Site Slave

Hi all, I made the decision to make it easier for people to sign up to help grow the user base. Without more people, it's hard to keep an active community. Unfortunately, it also makes it easier for spammers to get through.

There is one post that should have been deleted when I deleted the user account, however for some reason, I can't get rid of the topic itself.

As for assistance, if you're willing to be more involved, please let me know. I really appreciate people wanting to be involved, and whilst I can't monitor this board all the time, a combination of people should be able to assist.

I really appreciate everyone that comes to visit the website, as I think there's a place for in depth discussions with let restrictions than some places such as Facebook.

So if you're not able to help out as a moderator, make sure you spread word of the forum to increase our active numbers. :)

I can be contacted directly at admin@stormfans.club
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hey what version of Phbb are you using?
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hi Buzz,

What does being a moderator involve? How good do you need to be with technology?