Round 18 - Titans vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A very mixed half. Hopefully we can just play Storm football in the second stanza.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Croft continues his good form.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Feeling happier at half time, Storm leading 22 - 18. Although as Cam Smith said in half time interview 18 against in a half is not good enough for Storm.

Congratulations to Sandor Earl on scoring his first try for the Storm and first try since Round 23, 2013.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A couple of fascinating little side statistics.

Cam Smith's 40/20 was the club's first since Cronk left.
Vunivalu has now got the equal most doubles in club history (20 equal with Geyer)
Today was the first time that Cam Smith has scored a try at that stadium, the 18th he's scored at.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good win without 5 of our best 17. First half wasn’t that great. Horrific completions... but responded well to win the second half 16-0.

NAS and Brandon Smith were strong up the middle with Jahrome and Paps playing out of their skins as well. 3 Try Assists for Hughes whilst Paps had 282 Metres, 2 Line Break Assists and 10 Tackle Breaks!

Much better performance from Croft this week. More of that please!
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:51 pm Good win without 5 of our best 17. First half wasn’t that great. Horrific completions... but responded well to win the second half 16-0.

NAS and Brandon Smith were strong up the middle with Jahrome and Paps playing out of their skins as well. 3 Try Assists for Hughes whilst Paps had 282 Metres, 2 Line Break Assists and 10 Tackle Breaks!

Much better performance from Croft this week. More of that please!
Any room for Munster? Could be a spot available on the wing next week...
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Very pleasing win. We keep our 3 game buffer on top, and give 5 blokes a rest after SOO.

I agree Croft looked much better.

Glad the hooker got his first try of the season.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don’t think Bellamy’s getting enough credit for the whole idea of using Papenhuyzen as a “bench fullback”. He’s been the find of the season for the club I feel.

He was probably the best player out there on the field today - yes, I know he started and was named at five-eighth.

He ran for more than 280 metres and had 10 tackle breaks. He’s also absolutely lethal.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Paps has to be fb
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The last 4 or 5 runs Paps had, he was crouched over after playing the ball - I thought maybe his shoulder was still giving him grief - but I think he was just so tired. But he just kept putting his hand up for another run... Tbh he was unlucky not to break free into the back field at least twice, only stopped through desperate jersey grabs.

Gutsy performance from a very small guy.

I agree RE Bellamy not getting credit for the way Paps has been used this year. I was one of the people not sold on the idea. Didn’t last long though with what he was able to do, even from the bench. Craig could just see the effort that he brings. And with Craig, effort will earn you a spot more so than anything else.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And Hughes... Shuffled to 5/8 and still has a blinder. His line break through the middle and kick on the run for Paps to score was a thing of beauty.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I can see this movement you are starting, yourhero, of having Paps at 1 and Jahrome at 6- which would squeeze Munster out of the team. I know you are entitled to your opinion, but I am vehemently of the view that Cameron Munster deserves a spot in our team. I would even suggest he deserves to be in the starting 13. So there !
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:54 am I can see this movement you are starting, yourhero, of having Paps at 1 and Jahrome at 6- which would squeeze Munster out of the team. I know you are entitled to your opinion, but I am vehemently of the view that Cameron Munster deserves a spot in our team. I would even suggest he deserves to be in the starting 13. So there !
:lol: :lol: Pretty sure Munster was never in danger of missing out on a spot. That kid is OK, he may even make a career out of RL one day.

My angle was Paps to 1, Hughes to 7, Brodie to seconds - If Brodie can maintain that kind of performance though, what choice do we have other than maintaining the Paps bench fullback role? Brodie hasn't had a game like that in a long time though, so let's not get too excited :lol:
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

He's not going to come up against Ryley Jacks every week either.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:58 amHe's not going to come up against Ryley Jacks every week either.
But he did cut Bryce Cartwright to pieces, a noted stauch defender :lol: