Round 17 - Storm vs Sharks - CAM400

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Let the week of celebrations commence but let's hope the boys focus on getting the result so it can be enjoyed Sat night.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... ason-game/

Craig Bellamy - 'This club will never have a more important regular season game'
melbournestorm.com.au
Fri 5 Jul 2019

Roy Ward - The Age

Melbourne Storm are preparing for the biggest regular season game in club history as captain Cameron Smith becomes the first NRL player to play 400 games when his club hosts Cronulla next Saturday night.

Smith kicked the game-winning penalty goal in Storm's 16-14 win over St George Illawarra in Wollongong in game 399 and also became the first player to reach 2500 points.

With six Storm players and five Dragons away at State of Origin camp, Smith and his hardened forward pack proved the difference on Thursday night despite both sides being plagued by handling errors in the wet and windy conditions.

A penalty five minutes from full-time against Dragons back-rower Jacob Host for bumping Storm full-back Jahrome Hughes as he chased a high ball allowed Smith to deliver the winning points, his kick pushed by the wind before shaving the left post on its way in.

But thoughts quickly turned to Smith's 400th – a game Bellamy views, finals excluded, is the biggest in the club's history.

"I don't think anyone can pump his tires up any more than they are already pumped up," Bellamy said about his captain.

"But other than finals games I don't know if this club will ever have a more important game.

"It's a huge honour for Cameron and a huge honour for our club. Cameron is going to be the first guy to ever do this and it will be a long time before someone else does it.

"Hopefully we can play to honour him and his achievements in the game.

"We have to make sure we prepare well if we want to play well next week."

The Storm lost Albert Vete in the second half on Thursday night after he dislocated his shoulder. The forward is expected to miss some time but the injury was still being assessed on Friday.

Five-eighth Billy Walters and forward Tino Fa’asuamaleaui both made their debuts while Solomone Kata was replaced in the game-day side by Marion Seve after he recovered from a shoulder problem.

While the AFL has had a host of players pass 300 games, especially in recent generations, the NRL has only had 36, with 30 of those taking place in the 2000s.

Historically the physical nature of the game has taken players down before they reached the milestone, or they have headed to the English Super League in their twilight years.

And while Bellamy coached his 300th NRL win this week, the veteran coach wants the focus on Smith.

"Some people ask me what makes a good coach – having good players really helps," Bellamy said with a smile.

"I've been blessed to coach the players we have had and the coaches we have had here.

"For next week it's an important milestone for Cameron and what he's done for the game.

"We all should salute him next week, it's one hell of a milestone."

The Storm play the Cronulla Sharks at AAMI Park next Saturday at 7.35pm.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Sharks are a bit of a bogey team but they've been pretty ordinary lately. The boys should lift a gear and make sure they aren't taken by surprise.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:57 amSharks are a bit of a bogey team but they've been pretty ordinary lately. The boys should lift a gear and make sure they aren't taken by surprise.
The fact that Craig is framing it as 'the most important regular season game in the club's history', gives me confidence that the entire organisation will be taking it very seriously. The Origin boys will have to be in a pretty bad way to not backup and give their all.

Very excited for this game!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Todd Greenberg on CAM400 - 'Cameron’s feat is astonishing'
melbournestorm.com.au
Mon 8 Jul 2019

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg has formally congratulated Melbourne Storm Captain Cameron Smith on becoming the first player to reach 400 matches.

The historic feat will be achieved on Saturday night, when Smith’s Storm face Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks at AAMI Park in Melbourne.

Greenberg paid tribute to Smith during a media conference in Melbourne today, when the details of the milestone initiatives, in partnership with Melbourne Storm, were detailed.

Greenberg announced that as part of the celebrations, a custom-designed crystal football will be presented to Smith to mark the achievement and a mural - to be painted by artist Sid Tapia - has been commissioned in Richmond featuring Smith’s image.

Capping off the pre-match entertainment - including a unique Blackout - former teammates Johnathan Thurston, Matt Geyer, Billy Slater and Brett Finch as well as Smith’s family will be part of a special guard of honour.

A specially-created CAM400 logo will be painted on the playing surface and a 360-degree crowd photo will be taken during the game and made live at NRL.COM/CAM400 within 24 hours for fans to find themselves and share that they were part of history.

Fans attending the game will be allowed onto AAMI Park for a special presentation moment and photograph after full time (weather permitting).

Smith will be presented with the Waterford crystal ball immediately following the match.

"We needed to deliver something special for a feat which is a first for the game and may never be repeated," Greenberg said.

"We wanted to ensure this was acknowledged for what it is – quite simply an extraordinary achievement.

"Cameron has played all 399 of his matches at the one Club, and along the way obviously has represented his Country and his State.

"He has an almost countless collection of records and milestones – the top point scorer in the history of the game, most wins. But not even they compare to his latest achievement, something which in the past might have appeared unrealistic.

"It is considered – and deservedly so – remarkable to play 300 games. But Cameron’s feat is astonishing – highlighting not only incredible ability but also durability.

"On behalf of the NRL, I congratulate Cameron on his incredible contribution."

The concept of the crystal football will be replicated for any further players who achieve the 400-game milestone.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Are we expecting a sell-out for this game? No word from the club about members having to pre-book tickets... Hoping for a huge turnout to cheer on our champion skipper.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/camer ... 1be9768300

Cameron Smith has no plans to retire as he prepares for 400th NRL game
AAP
08 July 2019

Cameron Smith is contemplating extending his record-setting NRL career beyond his current contract, saying he has no plans to retire.

Cameron Smith is contemplating extending his record-setting NRL career beyond his current contract, saying he has no plans to retire.

The 36-year-old Melbourne Storm captain becomes the first NRL player to play 400 games when he runs out against Cronulla on Saturday.

Already contracted for 2020, Smith says he feels fresh physically and mentally and doesn’t have any thoughts of retirement.

He said Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy’s thoughts were that if he was still performing and enjoying the game, he should play as long as he could.

“At this stage I feel great physically and I feel fresh,” Smith said on Monday.

“I don’t have any thoughts of finishing up at this stage.”

He admitted it helped that the Storm were on top of the NRL ladder by six points.

“If we weren’t winning I might have a different outlook on my future but at this stage I don’t think I will be finishing up.”

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg sat by Smith’s side as he addressed the media and described the 400-game feat as an “iconic moment in the game”.

“It’s considered quite remarkable to get to 300 games so Cameron’s feat is astonishing highlighting not only his ability but his durability,” Greenberg said.

“To play 400 games all at one club — this is what I would call rarefied air for our game.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:37 pmCameron Smith has no plans to retire as he prepares for 400th NRL game

Without the full context, I assume Smithy was referring to retiring at the end of this year, as has been speculated for some time by certain pockets of the media. I somehow don't think he was referring to playing on after 2020. I assume the reporter has some wires crossed.

I would love to be wrong though... Still the best in the game.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I think its pretty futile to be discussing whether or not Cam plays the 2021 season. Bit of water to go under the bridge yet.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Way too early
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I just imagine this scenario right after the game.
Reporter: So Cam how do you feel after playing your 400th game
Cam (40+ tackles, 80min): I'm a bit tired at the moment but I'm sure once it sinks in...
Headline: Cam Smith tired of rugby league, could retire as early as yesterday
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... 7-preview/
NRL.com
Tue 9 Jul 2019

Rugby league purists everywhere will be glued to TV screens on Saturday night to watch Cameron Smith break new ground as the NRL's first 400-game player.

Most footy followers have an opinion on who the GOAT is, but it's the longevity factor that separates the mercurial Smith from the rest.

He still hasn't shown any real signs of age and remains peerless when it comes to game management and exploiting an opponent's weakness.

The Sharks will show Smith due respect pre-game and post-game, but he knows they'll be out to rain on his parade.

The Rundown

Key match-up
A standout for the Storm this year, Brodie Croft will try to continue his big performances against the Sharks, meanwhile Chad Townsend will look to step up and guide the Sharks to an unlikely win against the competition leaders.

For the Storm to win
The Cam Smith 400th milestone looms as a potential distraction, but it's more likely that his teammates will be doing everything they can to ensure it's a triumphant occasion. Craig Bellamy will check on his Origin stars before settling on a 17-man team but the Storm are rolling and it's up to the Sharks to find a way to stop them.

For the Sharks to win
Worrying signs for John Morris with one win from their past four games, which includes costly back to back losses to Canterbury and Brisbane. Wade Graham's return from Origin will help but the problem lies in the spine, specifically with Matt Moylan and Shaun Johnson. If Moylan is out this week, Johnson and Chad Townsend need to click, while the Sharks also have to solve their goal-kicking woes.

Brett Kimmorley says
The Storm don’t lose too many milestone games. There doesn’t seem to be many records that Cameron Smith doesn’t have. The Storm have been flexing their muscles of late and are leading by a fair way. Cronulla have been extremely poor for three losses in a row now, this will be a game they will lift for. They love playing Melbourne and this would be the upset of the round if they’re able to do it. But I’ll sway just towards Melbourne here. Storm by 1

Stat Attack
He has missed two games but Sharks prop Andrew Fifita still leads the NRL in offloads (40), while teammate Josh Dugan has committed more errors (29) than any player in the competition. The Storm are the top team for tackle breaks (525), run metres (24,561) and kick return metres (3,262).

And another thing ...
These two teams have developed a spicy rivalry ever since the Sharks beat Melbourne 14-12 in the 2016 grand final. After splitting their two meetings in 2017, the Sharks prevailed in both clashes last season before the Storm had the final say of the year with a 22-6 victory in the preliminary final. Cronulla drew first blood this season with a 20-18 home win over the Storm in round eight. Interestingly, a field goal has been kicked in three of their past six meetings.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm team for CAM400;

1. Jahrome Hughes
2. Suliasi Vunivalu
3. Will Chambers
4. Marion Seve
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cameron Munster
7. Brodie Croft
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenneath Bromwich
13. Dale Finucane

14. Brandon Smith
15. Christian Welch
16. Joe Stimson
17. Ryan Papenhuyzen

18. Justin Olam
19. Tino Faasuamaleaui
20. Tui Kamikamica
21. Sandor Earl
22. Tom Eisenhuth
23. Solomone Kata
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sharps line-up;

1. Matt Moylan
2. Sosaia Feki
3. Bronson Xerri
4. Josh Dugan
5. Josh Morris
6. Shaun Johnson
7. Chad Townsend
8. Andrew Fifita
9. Jayden Brailey
10. Matt Prior
11. Briton Nikora
12. Wade Graham
13. Jack Williams

14. Kurt Capewell
15. Jayson Bukuya
16. Aaron Woods
17. Braden Hamlin-Uele

18. Billy Magoulias
19. Kyle Flanagan
20. Aaron Gray
21. Blayke Brailey
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... tter-club/

Billy Slater - 'Cam Smith made this club a better club'

Storm legend Billy Slater fronted the media at the club's annual Billy's Buddies clinic ahead of CAM400.

---

Billy with some glowing commentary on Cameron Smith in the lead up to CAM400. Well articulated as to why Smithy is the GOAT, particularly at the end.