Round 13 - Warriors vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agreed. Outstanding effort all round.

I thought we would be flat, especially with four blokes missing all week and backing up from one hell of an Origin game - but we really turned up ready to play. That second half was massive.

Jesus Christ, give Cameron Smith another two year contract. The guy is f*cking unbelievable...
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don’t want to be too hard on Croft but as this season goes on it’s going to be hard to justify him keeping his spot.

His decision making hasn’t been great but what’s always concerned me is his inability to fit in with set plays and his poor service to his outside men.

I’d argue while Hughes is a fullback he’s much better at doing the simple things at halfback than Croft is such as linking with Kaufusi or finding other ball runners off short passes. He’s also a better tackler.

The other argument is I feel Papenhuyzen is doing more and more to justify why he probably needs to be starting at fullback.

If he isn’t starting then you have Drinkwater coming back which makes things even more complicated.

You could even move Hughes to half, start Drinkwater and keep Papenhuyzen on the bench.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brandon Smith was best on ground for mine. Love the energy he brings!!!
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Superb win today. Great effort by the 4 lads backing up. Both the Smith boys brilliant, ditto Jesse, Dale and Jahrome,

As others have intimated , there are some tough decisions to be made re Croft, and that has a knock on effect re Drinkwater. I feel there is a real sliding doors moment looming in that regard.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Croft not coming back cause of a HIA was pretty convenient.

I’d love for Drinkwater to come in to replace him. Don’t think Bellamy will do that if he wants out. Surely Bellamy has given Croft enough chances though.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:48 pm Croft not coming back cause of a HIA was pretty convenient.

I’d love for Drinkwater to come in to replace him. Don’t think Bellamy will do that if he wants out. Surely Bellamy has given Croft enough chances though.
That is my thinking as well. He was groomed as Croft’s replacement throughout 16/17 and given a taste of first grade. He was given first crack after Cronk left. After an up and down year (mostly down), he was given support and the permanent 7 jersey this year.

Today may have just been the final nail in the coffin.

His defence has been really poor IMO and a significant factor in that edge leaking tries. His pass selection has been better this year but still not yielding many results. His kicking game has been most disappointing... Before Maumolo smashed him today (and I don’t judge him for that, that could be any half in the comp), he had a kick with no pressure and it went straight to Maumolo. He barely had to move...
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

With the amount of opposition tries coming down Croft's side of the field, could we be looking at Hughes at 7 , Paps at one and Drinky on the bench as potential cover for either of them. Croft having a "rest" for the week because of HIA.
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Itzbek the Purple wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:35 pm With the amount of opposition tries coming down Croft's side of the field, could we be looking at Hughes at 7 , Paps at one and Drinky on the bench as potential cover for either of them. Croft having a "rest" for the week because of HIA.
Yep, thought the exact same thing. They looked infinitely better yesterday once croft was off
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I found this quote rather interesting from https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/bellamy-la ... 3433e3474c.
"Bellamy is unsure about a "doughy" Croft's prospects to face the in-form Knights at home next week, followed two weeks later by a showdown with the defending Premiers Roosters." Hmmmmmm!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I feel bad for Finucane at this point... A middle forward goes down in the Blues (Klemmer), Dale puts in a mammoth performance and barely rates a mention. Instead a number of commentators are spruiking a kid from Newcastle with a handful of first grade games as a replacement. Or an Edge forward like Wade Graham :roll:

Hopefully Dale puts in another performace like he did against the Warriors.

Finucane vs Warriors
71 Minutes
19 Runs (Storm high)
195 Metres (Game high)
34 Tackles (Storm high)

He missed a few tackles, the only blight. Some of those where he rushed out of the line looking to put (another) huge shot on.

The bloke's game is literally built for Origin. If NSW don't pick him, they deserve another loss. Tbf, they deserve another loss anyway. The arrogance displayed by Fitler and Brandy in the wash-up to Game 1 was laughable. Defending their rubbish use of the bench the primary point of hilarity.