Smith 400

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

With such a monumental milestone on the horizon, I thought it deserved it's own thread for discussion.

Currently forecast to occur in Round 17 (touch wood).
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/drago ... 298da31310

Race to 400: Sorry Cam, you’re second
AAP (AKA some pissant too scared to put his name to such a dogsh*t article)
May 22 2019

He will next month notch up his 400th game of first-grade rugby league in a milestone worthy of celebration and reverence.

But his name is James Graham, not Cameron Smith.

Plenty has been made of the fact that Melbourne skipper Smith will later this season become the first player to bring up 400 NRL games.

But it’s mostly escaped attention that dogged St George-Illawarra’s Graham will likely beat Smith to the 400-game mark by a fortnight.

Against Cronulla on Sunday, the 33-year-old will run out for his 172nd NRL game.

The dogged British prop came to Australia via Canterbury in 2012 after beginning his career at St Helens, where he had 225 English Super League and Challenge Cup caps.

Barring injury or suspension, he will bring up his 400th game at Wollongong’s WIN Stadium against North Queensland in round 15, two weeks before Smith cracks the illustrious mark.

Told he was set to beat Smith to the 400 club, in typical Graham fashion, he played down the achievement.

“I’m not in a race with anyone,” he told AAP.

Of more pressing concern for Graham is breaking the Dragons’ four-game losing streak which has seen them tumble to 12th.

“The frustrating thing from our perspective is we know we’re better, we know we’re capable of more,” Graham said.

“We’ve showed that. If we were deadbeats and no hopers we’d just accept it and move on and play next week and not really care.

“We are hurting and we want to do something about it.”

Graham is off contract at the end of next year and is still highly respected by his teammates.

Dragons flyer Matt Dufty said Graham had earned enough respect that he always listened to what he had to say and his work ethic and passion had rubbed off on him.

“I look up to James, he’s been everywhere and done everything,” Dufty said.

“If he says something, I’ll listen.

“It is a bit like big brother/little brother. He gets angry at me for stuff when he knows I can be better. I listen because that’s just the respect I have for him.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Talk about a bitter, butthurt story. Sydney journalism at it's finest!

Forget the fact that if you want to count Super League games, a number of other players have already achieved that milestone (and then some). Forget the fact that if you add in Rep Games, Cam actually plays his 500th top flight game of Rugby League this weekend (~50 more than Graham). Also forget the fact that Super League games are never counted in these milestones because of the far lower quality of the competition.

But forgetting those facts doesn't help detract from such a massive milestone now, does it?
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well said. When I read this I thought this is Sydney media and there horrible journalism at it again. Anything to take away the fact that a MELBOUNRE storm player is going to be regarded as one of the greatest of all time, and like you said no mention of the fact it is Smith's 500th career game this weekend.

If a Sydney based player (or a lesser degree a Queensland based player) was coming up to play their 400th game we would be reading/hearing about it on a regular basis. If it was an AFL player there would be a parade. When Smith does play his 400th game the club will do I know will make it great. I doubt the NRL will do anything, if he is lucky Greenberg will be there and shake his hand after the game.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Beaver Menzies played 477 first grade games at NRL and Super League level (which I think is the most first grade club games of any player). But I think the point is that the NRL is significantly harder than Super League and it is extra impressive of Smithy to be the first to cross that threshold.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:32 amI doubt the NRL will do anything, if he is lucky Greenberg will be there and shake his hand after the game.
I think there will be a post game presentation with Greenburg (game ball or medal probably) and a few speeches.

We'll see what happens, but you would hope more than that given just how significant the milestone is. He didn't just beat the most games milestone, he blew it out of the water.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's a stupid criteria, selected just to get a result that the "journalist" wanted. Like, why include Super League games and not Rep games?

Even if you go with that idiotic criteria (SL + NRL games), why ignore the 11 English players have achieved that number just in SL games?

The journalist should be outed so everyone can laugh at his low intelligence level.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Counting challenge cup games is laughable! Some of those are the equivalent of the Storm playing Sunbury Tigers.
Mister M
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

glennb wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:32 am Well said. When I read this I thought this is Sydney media and there horrible journalism at it again. Anything to take away the fact that a MELBOUNRE storm player is going to be regarded as one of the greatest of all time, and like you said no mention of the fact it is Smith's 500th career game this weekend.

If a Sydney based player (or a lesser degree a Queensland based player) was coming up to play their 400th game we would be reading/hearing about it on a regular basis. If it was an AFL player there would be a parade. When Smith does play his 400th game the club will do I know will make it great. I doubt the NRL will do anything, if he is lucky Greenberg will be there and shake his hand after the game.
A bit of hyperbole there mate..

As someone who went to both Dustin Fletcher's 400th AFL game and Boomer Harvey's 426th game (when Harvey equalled the old most AFL games played record) -- neither of those occasions lead to a parade. I'd say the focus on the achievements that both men did on that night were highlighted no more significantly than Cam Smith's 350th and 356th or Billy Slater's 300th were by the Melbourne Storm.

The Storm do an impressive job highlighting the milestones of their big players and always have.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I was going of the top with the "parade" statement. I know the AFL would not really do that. I was trying to make the point the AFL does milestone matches (eg Fletcher/Harvey better than the NRL. I know Storm do a great job and they should be commended, but I just get frustrated at the NRL and what they seem to put there focus or lack of focus on.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I had the pleasure of watching Cameron's first NRL game, and many many since then, and we are so lucky to have such a champion represent our club with such distinction for so many years. Remarkable.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Danger D wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:45 am Beaver Menzies played 477 first grade games at NRL and Super League level (which I think is the most first grade club games of any player). But I think the point is that the NRL is significantly harder than Super League and it is extra impressive of Smithy to be the first to cross that threshold.
No, that would be Brian Bevan.
8 for Easts, 620 for Warrington and 42 for Blackpool
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

TC wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:08 pm
Danger D wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:45 am Beaver Menzies played 477 first grade games at NRL and Super League level (which I think is the most first grade club games of any player). But I think the point is that the NRL is significantly harder than Super League and it is extra impressive of Smithy to be the first to cross that threshold.
No, that would be Brian Bevan.
8 for Easts, 620 for Warrington and 42 for Blackpool
That's pretty amazing. He was playing until he was 40 - as a winger! I suppose Smithy is no chance of catching up to him.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... erfection/

The inspiration behind Smith's endless pursuit of perfection
Joel Gould
NRL.com Reporter
Sat 3 Aug 2019

Cameron Smith has detailed how his desire to improve every time he steps on a football field has been intensified by the rising stars at the Melbourne Storm who give him an extra spring in his step.

In his 300th game as Storm captain, the 36-year-old put on a masterclass in the 40-4 walloping of the Broncos on Friday night, creating several tries with the guile of his passes, scoring a try and kicking with precision in general play.

It was his 403rd NRL game and coach Craig Bellamy was in awe of how reaching the magic 400-mark had not dimmed Smith’s desire.
"The one thing I probably have been looking for since that [400th] game is whether there is going to be a drop-off in his intensity or in his interest but I haven’t seen that at all," Bellamy said.

"I made that point to him just before it, whether he has still got the hunger even though he has got that record. He just achieved a record tonight with that being the 300th game he’s been captain. I think 39 players have played 300 and he has captained 300. He is a remarkable player and person."

Smith said that quest to be better was driven by several individual and team factors.

"I have had the mindset since I was a young fella that I am here to compete against the opposition every weekend but my biggest competitor is myself and I always want to outdo my last performance," Smith said.

"So if I am lucky enough to go out and perform well I never get comfortable with that or think 'that will do'. I have always wanted to go out and better that again, and better that again each week. So long as I still have that hunger and drive to go out and compete against myself, that is going to help me perform well.

"The other thing that has really driven me and kept me hungry is the new faces popping up at the Melbourne Storm.

"Everyone knows about the more experienced players we have lost over the last couple of years, some of the greatest players the game has seen, but we have seen the emergence of Papenhuyzen, Hughes, Stimson, Welch and guys like Addo-Carr and Olam. They bring a new energy and a new enthusiasm to the team.

"That helps me create new energy as well. It is great to be able to be around those guys and help them develop into consistent footballers. It has given me a new spring in my step."

Bellamy said that he was not surprised that Smith continued to shine in the twilight years of his career because of what he sees every day.

"I see every week that he is still competitive at training and he still wants to get better, and I know that sounds a bit stupid to all of us but he does," Bellamy said.

"You don’t get better unless you put the work in, and he still puts the work in. We give him some sessions off now because of his age but when he does train, which is most of the time, he is the last guy to leave.

"He is always looking to get better in something. We all probably sit back and think 'how can he get better', but so long as he puts the work in he is capable of playing this game for a long period of time."

Bellamy said he was "pretty much sure [Smith] is going to play on next year".

Smith explained why he would be going around in 2020 now that the euphoria of reaching game 400 has subsided.

"At this stage I am playing. I haven’t had any thoughts of not playing," he said.

"When I signed on for the two years I said to many people about the second season that I will always be in continual talks with Craig in particular, the rest of the coaches and the high performance staff about my contribution to the side and where they thought I was at physically.

"I am the one who knows how I feel mentally and I am enjoying my footy as much as I ever have. The coach hasn’t pulled me aside to say 'mate I don’t feel as though you are doing enough for us'.

"Some people feel that when you are playing well and on top, that is the right time to go. Others say to play as long as you can and that if you are enjoying it keep playing, and that is my mindset at the moment."

The Storm captain was proud of notching up his 300th game as captain of Melbourne after his father Wayne had presented him with a special jersey with the milestone etched into the fabric of his jumper.

"Craig mentioned after the game that there is 39 players that have played 300 and I am lucky enough to have captained 300. It is nice,” Smith said.

"My dad presented my jersey to me last night and he summed it up quite well when he said that if you hang around long enough these sort of things happen for you.

"I must say it is a huge honour to be able to achieve that. I said to the boys that the first time I got the opportunity to captain the club it was a very proud moment and nothing has changed. Every time I get to walk out in front I am filled with a lot of pride."

On a lighter note, Smith was subbed with 13 minutes to go against Brisbane after scoring his 45th career try, just one behind the 46 that Bellamy scored in his career. Was that the reason the coach benched him?

"Yeah, that was one of the reasons," Bellamy grinned.

"He’s getting close. I was horrified that he scored that try tonight … that will be probably his most treasured record if he gets me I reckon. I am sure he is going to get me sooner or later and that is a bit of a running joke in our team at the moment."