Round 8 - Sharks vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bartos
Squall
Squall

Only positive was I had $25 on the sharks so made a nice pineapple out of that awful effort
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Do we have more than a handful of players who are out there earning their spot? Deadset, I know a lot didn’t go our way in the second but the effort from some of them was well below our standard.

The only positive atm is outside of 1 or 2 teams the comp is pretty close. Get our shit sorted and anything can happen.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

It's almost as if we set ourselves for the opposition. If the other mob are perceived as being good, we lift, if we view them as $hit then we play as $hit.
We only looked good for a short period in the first half, just before we gave up the second try, and maybe the only other time was when we were chasing the game and we spread it left.
The one thing Papenhauzen showed that has been badly missing was a bit of back up play. For many weeks Kenny has poked his nose through and looked for support with nothing offering.
Felise isn't offering much at the moment and I reckon Dale has gone off the boil. Yes, he got an offload away but only because we were chasing the game. Our forwards have generally been diabolical and our only play seems to be to slow the play down as much as possible.
Also, too often we are left with a player lying in the ruck, sometimes more.
Opposition spread the ball and we look all at sea, it almost looks inevitable every time.
Discipline, where do we start, from the innocuous push on Gallens? head early on to numerous other things, this is something that can easily be fixed.
Did I see in the second half we had 1/3 sets and they had 8/9? It was something like that. Probably lucky our pants weren't totally pulled down...
Yes, EVERY referreeing decision went their way but we did not deserve to win that game, terrible. How they didn't penalise Munster for pulling Townsend? off the chase I'll never know, another dumb decision. (Maybe the only one we got away with)
Bring on the home game against the Eels, oh wait, it's in QLD. GRRR
shorton
Squall
Squall

Our recruiting policy over the past few years has been disgraceful and the worst in the league. It is showing. Why aren’t Donaghy and co taking responsibility for this??!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bellamy not happy post game and rightfully so. He's threatened players spots before so I'll need to see it before I believe it.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... dd959283ec
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

What's going on with our forwards? Kenny Bromwich aside, they're all playing like puss.

Welch was going well until people starting talking about him and Origin. Finucane's past fortnight or so has been well below his best. NAS and Jesse have been off the boil all season really.

Tui's done OK. And Pat showed some signs in (surprise surprise under Craig) bugger all game time.

Time to bring Stimson and Tino in. Pap to start. Suli to QRL. 4 forwards on the bench. Hopefully Brandon is good to go for next week.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

My take on who's safe and who needs a rest.

Safe - Hughes, Chambers, Addo-Carr, Munster, J.Bromwich, C.Smith, Welch, K.Bromwich, Finucane, B.Smith, Welch, Kamikamica

In trouble - Vunivalu, Asofa-Solomona, F.Kaufusi

Need to see more/haven't had enough opportunity to prove themselves - Seve, Croft, Papenhuyzen, P.Kaufusi

Would like to see - Tino, Vete, Walters get a go
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet J Bromwich very lucky to be on your safe list. He has been average in my opinion.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He's our second highest tryscorer this year and the vice captain. Plenty of runs on the board, not in trouble just yet.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Given there is a bit of doom and gloom in here, including from me, and that Patrick Kaufusi played last night I thought I would list the total number of games played by brothers for the Storm (Not necessarily in same game):
Bromwich 341 (Jesse 210 and Kenny 131)
Kaufusi 175 (Felise 94, Antonio 78 and Patrick 3)
Turner 59 (Glen 56 and Marty 3)
Cross 46 (Ben 32 and Matt 14)
MacDougall 32 (Ben 22 and Luke 10)
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:47 am Mattpoet J Bromwich very lucky to be on your safe list. He has been average in my opinion.
Agreed, although he started the game last night a lot better. I'm also not convinced about Hughes at FB (and not just from this game either) - if his defensive efforts and positional play don't improve quickly we're going to need someone else to take over or we'll be in a lot of trouble defending our own line.

How much game time did NAS get last night? I don't remember seeing much of him, but I thought he went OK when I did see him. But Bellamy's use of the bench has been strange this year to say the least!
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Papenhuyzen needs a chance to start. I’d be dropping Vunivalu and promoting him to the wing.

I’d also argue the team needs to chance its attack coach. The guys are still running too sideways.

Anyway, this is what I’d be going with next week...

Jahrome Hughes, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Will Chambers, Marion Seve, Josh Addo-Carr, Cameron Munster, Brodie Croft, Christian Welch, Cameron Smith, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Felise Kaufusi, Kenny Bromwich, Dale Finucane.

Bench: Brandon Smith, Louis Geraghty, Jesse Bromwich, Tui Kamikamica.
shorton
Squall
Squall

The only chance we have this year is to hope other teams knock out Cronulla and the Roosters during the finals series
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

riders of the storm wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:14 pm Papenhuyzen needs a chance to start. I’d be dropping Vunivalu and promoting him to the wing.

I’d also argue the team needs to chance its attack coach. The guys are still running too sideways.

Anyway, this is what I’d be going with next week...

Jahrome Hughes, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Will Chambers, Marion Seve, Josh Addo-Carr, Cameron Munster, Brodie Croft, Christian Welch, Cameron Smith, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Felise Kaufusi, Kenny Bromwich, Dale Finucane.

Bench: Brandon Smith, Louis Geraghty, Jesse Bromwich, Tui Kamikamica.
Geraghty??? You know we dumped him last year. Swap that random selection for Tino and i agree with your team.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Suli and NAS really havent developed. Really can’t say they’re any better than they were couple years ago and they should be coming into their prime soon, especially Suli.
Croft is my favourite player but I’m starting to lose faith in him a little.
Hughes was caught out of position more than once and if he’s injured then we need to replace him. Really needs to improve his support play too.

And whatever happened to the shift play from our own half? Countless times we have opportunities but it never gets passed the second rower.

We need a shakeup and should start with Jesse and NAS both to the bench, Suli to QRL, Paps to wing and Walters onto the bench.

I also liked Patrick Kaufusi the other night he has good agility and can handle forwards with footwork.