Most Underrated Storm Player

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Article on nrl.com where tgeir exoerts list their opinions for most underrated player. Got me thinking about the mist underrated Storm player of all time. My thoughts are that he'd come from the following list:

Kenny Bromwich
Ben Cross
Dale Finucane
Matt Geyer
Paul Marquet
Bryan Norrie
Anthony Quinn
Matt Rua
Sisa Waqa
Brett White

I'm partial to choosing Waqa, he had all the skills but never got a lot of recognition apart from at the very end of his time here.

What do others think? Someone else off my list or someone else altogether?
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Dallas Johnson?
Ryan Hinchcliffe?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Underrated by who? By the club/Storm fans? Or by the game more broadly (other club fans, commentators, etc)?

I ask because I look at players like Boofa and Hinchcliffe and I know that they are held in the highest regard by the club and true Storm fans but in the NRL generally, they probably should be considered underrated.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fair question. Either I guess.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Maybe it's recency bias but I think it has to be Finucane. He performs at a consistently high level every week but gets no recognition from pundits when it comes to discussing rep football. I would say the same for Hinchy but I think his performances weren't quite at the same level.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Danger D wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:47 pm Maybe it's recency bias but I think it has to be Finucane. He performs at a consistently high level every week but gets no recognition from pundits when it comes to discussing rep football. I would say the same for Hinchy but I think his performances weren't quite at the same level.
Going back to the beginning, this absolutely applies to MG as well. Club legend, but almost nobody outside of the Storm and their fans recognise him as anything more than a workmanlike winger.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree with Danger D Dale Finucane.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Steven Bell fits this criteria. Played 5 years with us during a relatively tough time and saved our bacon on a number of occasions. He did play State of Origin but is not generally remembered all that much.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Definitely
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:58 pm I think Steven Bell fits this criteria. Played 5 years with us during a relatively tough time and saved our bacon on a number of occasions. He did play State of Origin but is not generally remembered all that much.
I am a big fan of Steve Bell. I have his signed 100th game jersey on my wall.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’m thinking Stephen Bell too.
Others that come to mind are Matt Orford, Steve Turner and Danny Williams.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Another player who consistently did his job but didn't get many plaudits, Glen Turner.