Round 2 - Raiders vs Storm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wondered the same thing, all I can reason is that maybe Addo-Carr is sore after last week.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Seve onto the bench, P.Kaufusi out.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:11 pm Seve onto the bench, P.Kaufusi out.
Not sure I quite understand the mix of players on the bench.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Is Curtis Scott planning on having a run today without getting smashed? All. Game.
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Solid win although the second-half had a few iffy moments.

The guys look much less erratic than they did at least up to this point last year (I’m adding in that win over the Bulldogs because I generally think that was an average game overall).

I think it’s going to be really hard to drop Kenny Bromwich to the bench - he’s hitting gaps well, links effectively with Cameron Munster and has awesome leg drive.

Asides from kicking out on the full once, Munster’s kicking game is way better than previous seasons. Ditto Brodie Croft.

Dale Finucane has to be considered for State of Origin this year. The man’s a machine.

Also looks like Jesse Bromwich is back to his best.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Finucane's been great the opening two weeks. Scott the opposite of that. Defensively Suli and him have no communication yet.

Two unconvincing yet convincing wins to start the season. Lot to like, lot to improve on.

Wont get carried away with it yet but Croft has put in kicks close to the line in b2b games that he'd have murdered last season. Same when he threw a good pass for the 2nd try. Solid progress.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:02 pm
Wont get carried away with it yet but Croft has put in kicks close to the line in b2b games that he'd have murdered last season. Same when he threw a good pass for the 2nd try. Solid progress.
And remember Kafausi bombed the try that Brodie kicked through last week, I think the kid's grabbing it with two hands. Helps to have the most seasoned, game aware and astute captain with him.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not about our game but Gus Gould was hyping up our teams win last week with the way the broncos played today
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We must play Penrith soon then. He's trying to make us overconfident.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Finucane
18 Runs
174 Metres
1 Line Break
1 Line Break Assist
3 Tackle Breaks
32 Tackles
0 Errors
1 Penalty Conceded (attacking player locked his arm in)

Fair game!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Also, Smithy is 35. He played the full game, making a game high 47 tackles. The game was all wrapped up and in the dying minute, Canberra put in an attacking chip kick 30 or so metres behind the defensive line, looking for sprinting Canberra outside backs.

Who sprints back, puts himself into position to take the kick and defuse the danger? The old GOAT.

The very easy option would be to jog back and assume the winger/fullback would be able to cover it. He wasn’t going to be called out for not running back. In all likelihood very few people would probably even notice the effort. But he would know...

Not many players have that drive to do everything they possibly can until the final whistle. JT used to do it. Smith still does it.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

And whilst it was a bit disappointing that we gave Canberra a chance to get back into the game, both Canberra tries were not due to defensive structure breakdowns.

One was from a kick that ricocheted around and the other was Curtis stripping the ball and the Raiders pouncing on it.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just quietly, he was unlucky on that strip call, I thought. Seen a lot of those called loose carries.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The kick and the strip was on the same play.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:34 pm The kick and the strip was on the same play.
Apologies, you are correct.

The first try was after Scott getting smashed and dropping the ball. Then Croker somehow scores when we had five defenders around him. Suli with a poor read and both Suli and Scott with pathetic contact.