2019 Salary Cap Issues?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Triple M are reporting that we are in danger of not being able to field a team in Round 1 as we are over the cap and desparately trying to offload a couple of players to become compliant.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/melbou ... d-1-129520
The Melbourne Storm are currently having salary cap issues, NRL Insider Dobbo can reveal, and are in danger of not being allowed to field a side for Round 1 of the Telstra premiership season if this is not resolved.
Dobbo told Triple M's The Big Breakfast this morning that Melbourne are over their salary cap and have been instructed to shed players to get under the salary cap by Round 1.

It is reported that the Storm have been trying to shop Sam Kasiano to other clubs to clear space in the cap but to no avail.
Dobbo also pointed to how the Sharks may be in trouble, with just over two weeks to go until the official start of the 2019 season.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I really hope this is just more of that Sydney RL scuttlebutt and we haven't in fact got ourselves into trouble. I struggle to actually believe we would be so dumb, given the water under the bridge.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:13 pm I really hope this is just more of that Sydney RL scuttlebutt and we haven't in fact got ourselves into trouble. I struggle to actually believe we would be so dumb, given the water under the bridge.
agreed. but it might one of those technical salary issues due to increased payments for rep players last year.

I'm confident it wont be because of salary cap mismanagement...not with our current management and so soon after 2010
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:42 pmagreed. but it might one of those technical salary issues due to increased payments for rep players last year.

I'm confident it wont be because of salary cap mismanagement...not with our current management and so soon after 2010
I would argue that if it is a real issue, even if it was due to performance bonuses for rep players, that would still constitute mismanagement of the cap.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The club are denying any issues; https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3c7f884a27

I tend to believe the club but one could be forgiven for being a bit wary of the smoke/fire analogy.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-t ... f0355d2fc3

NRL threatens Melbourne with Round 1 exclusion over cap mess
news.com.au
26 Feb 2019

The NRL salary cap crunch has got very real very fast for the Storm with a bombshell report claiming they could lose Cameron Smith and be banned for round one.

A report claims Melbourne has a lot more on the line than the future of big-bopper Sam Kasiano on the line in its salary cap crunch for round one.

The Daily Telegraph revealed recently the Storm have been shopping the prop around to rival clubs in a bid to squeeze under the 2019 salary cap.

The Storm’s full cap crisis was laid bare on Tuesday morning by Triple M NRL commentator Ben Dobbin, who told Triple M’s Big Breakfast that the club is $600,000 over the 2019 cap.

He reported the club is desperate to find a new home for Kasiano because the NRL recently threatened the club with being excluded from the opening round of the season on March 14 if they are still not salary cap compliant.

The NRL’s other tool for dealing with clubs who are over the cap heading into the start of a season would see the Storm lose captain Cameron Smith, who was the last player to sign on with the Storm for the 2019 season.

Melbourne’s salary cap crunch comes with the Sharks reportedly set to face a salary cap reduction of up to $500,000 for their salary cap scandal which reportedly dates back to cap breaches in 2015.

The Wests Tigers are also reportedly set to learn their fate surrounding a preliminary salary cap reduction of $640,000 surrounding an ambassadorial deal with club great Robbie Farah.

The clubs will learn their fate following Thursday’s Australian Rugby League commission meeting.

The news is concerning for the Storm, according to Dobbin.

“My mail is the Melbourne Storm are at least $600,000 over the salary cap right now,’ he said.

“He (Kasiano) has been shopped around to other clubs for some time. The NRL have said to the Melbourne Storm, ‘It’s like this. You can get under the salary cap within 16 days or you won’t be taking the field in round one’.

“Somebody has to go for the Melbourne Storm. If they can’t get rid of Sam Kasiano, there was a bit of talk if the findings come down with the NRL and St George put Jack de Belin to the sideline, St George would be able to pick up Kasiano. Kasiano is no Jack de Belin, nowhere near it.

He said the NRL’s “last man” in policy would cost the Storm Smith if the NRL is forced to take action to get the Storm compliant for 2019.

“The rule around the salary cap is if you can’t get under your salary cap, the last player signed is the one who has to go,” he said.

“So for example at the Cronulla Sharks, Shaun Johnson, star halfback, would be the one who has to go. Cronulla are going to be handed down fines on Friday for salary cap breaches. They need to shed a lot of people — like second stringers — and if they can’t, guess what, Shaun Johnson is gone.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:52 pm The club are denying any issues; https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3c7f884a27

I tend to believe the club but one could be forgiven for being a bit wary of the smoke/fire analogy.
That was a week ago. The news has been growing - and details added - since then. An official statement via the Storm website/social media would be nice and allay fears.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Someone needs to tell me how we are over the cap. Has anybody looked at the Rooster list? The Rabbis today signed Ethan Lowe from the Cowboys and I bet he left to be on less money. I doubt it. The Sharks today signed James Segeyaro, they have also signed a Morris and Shaun Johnson and when their fine is handed down they have are meant to be getting less salary cap this year than or other team, but they can sign players. Really someone with more knowledge please tell me how this is possible.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:01 pmReally someone with more knowledge please tell me how this is possible.
If it is true, very poor roster management. That is the only explanation.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

All a bit confusing to me really. We've upgraded players contracts but have probably let more rep players go than any other team the last few years while bringing on 1 player on a big deal, and we weren't paying his full price anyway. We're able to re-sign our captain but are now "allegedly" $600k over? Hmmm...

This is either a nothing story and we're just trying to flick a few useless players and/or we've really overpaid a few players and have managed the roster terribly.
shorton
Squall
Squall

All I can say is duck me dead
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:58 pm
Danger D wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:52 pm The club are denying any issues; https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3c7f884a27

That was a week ago. The news has been growing - and details added - since then. An official statement via the Storm website/social media would be nice and allay fears.
An official statement from the club really would be great. And sooner rather than later. The longer they put off an official statement, the more credence is given to these media reports.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

There was talk we were looking to offload Kas, Pat Kaufusi and Blair before Smith signed. I have no doubt there is some element of truth to this.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The longer the club stays silent... the more this is looking likely.

I am willing to go on a $1 contract just to be cut prior to Rd1 if they are looking for volunteers.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't really find it necessary for the club to respond to media speculation.