2019 Storm Leadship Structure

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... y-in-2019/

Leading the way in 2019
melbournestorm.com.au
31 Jan 2019

Melbourne Storm today announced a new leadership structure with the appointment of Jesse Bromwich and Dale Finucane as joint vice-captains, supporting legendary skipper Cameron Smith for the 2019 NRL season.

Smith will enter his 12th season as captain – he has led the team on 243 occasions and previously co-captained with a number of players – while Kenny Bromwich and Will Chambers round out the five-man senior leadership team.

Announcing the new-look leadership structure today, coach Craig Bellamy said appointing vice-captains would ensure the club was well placed for a bright future.

“Cameron is one of the greatest leaders to have ever played the game and we have been very fortunate to have him as our captain for more than decade,” Bellamy said.

“It’s important for our club that we continue to develop leaders in our playing group and we are very lucky to have quality players on and off the field ready to step up into leadership positions within the team.

“The new leadership format allows both Jesse and Dale as vice-captains an opportunity to experience some of the responsibilities of being an NRL captain.

“At this stage it will be one of those guys who will take over from Cameron when he does retire and rather than throw them in cold turkey we wanted them to experience the extra responsibility the captaincy role entails.”

Bellamy said both Bromwich and Finucane were “highly regarded” at the club.

“Jesse and Dale have proven to be great leaders for us over several seasons and their appointment as joint vice-captains was received very well by the playing group,” he said.

“Kenny was a very popular appointment too and is a natural leader for us on the field.

“He’s come through our emerging leaders’ program along with Will, Dale and Jesse which tells us the program is working.”

Bellamy also announced the make-up of the emerging leadership group with Joe Stimson, Christian Welch, Felise Kaufusi and Sandor Earl all given responsibility for 2019.

Smith said he had discussed the appointment of vice captains and the club’s succession plan with Bellamy last season.

“It was a topic I raised with Craig last year – giving some of the other leaders an opportunity to have some experience in addressing the media and large rooms of guests at functions,” Smith said.

“Not too many guys are exposed to that – it’s really left up to the captain and coming to the end of my career I think it is really important these guys have a taste of that.”

Both Finucane, 27, and Bromwich, 29, said they felt honoured to be elevated to the dual vice-captain roles.

“We will be able to alleviate Cam from some of those off-field commitments and we will try to develop some of his traits in the next couple of years,” Finucane said.

“(Captaincy) is something you always think about but nothing you go chasing, especially when you have someone like Cameron Smith leading the club,” Bromwich said.

“It is a privilege to be named formally as vice-captain.”
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I really like the idea. There is more to being a successful captain than just having a 'c' next to your name on the team sheet and talking to the ref.

Based on the photos of the Geelong camp, Finucane looked to really be taking a leadership role on. He had the troops gathered whilst he addressed them in a serious manner.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hardest of passes on Jesse Bromwich still being called a leader and possible future captain of this club. Removed the right to be either a few years ago.
Mister M
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

I think there's two interesting things about this announcement

-Josh Ado-Carr, Curtis Scott & Cheyse Blair have all dropped out of the Emerging Leaders squad for 2019, after being in the squad in 2018

-Cam Munster isn't seen as a leader or future leader. For someone that has such an influence on the field, you would've thought he'd be in the Top 10 'Leaders' at the Melbourne Storm.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It could be that the emerging leaders groupis being treated like a training program though and so the idea is to expose a certain number of new players each year. Don't know anything, just thinking.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Haha I went to a meeting in Dec last year for nrl vic and we used the storm boardroom and all this was written on the board I took a photo but didn’t post it anywhere cause I didn’t want to get in trouble ...I pmsl when it came out yesterday
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote:Hardest of passes on Jesse Bromwich still being called a leader and possible future captain of this club. Removed the right to be either a few years ago.
Why? Seems like one of the more mature and level-headed guys in the playing group and someone that the younger guys look up to. Captained his country and from memory did an OK job when he stood in captaining the storm. His performance on the field is none too shabby either. I think he would be a leader if not captain in most other NRL clubs today.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Hardest of passes on Jesse Bromwich still being called a leader and possible future captain of this club. Removed the right to be either a few years ago.
Why? Seems like one of the more mature and level-headed guys in the playing group and someone that the younger guys look up to. Captained his country and from memory did an OK job when he stood in captaining the storm. His performance on the field is none too shabby either. I think he would be a leader if not captain in most other NRL clubs today.
Ah, cause he was caught buying/using cocaine and we kind of just brushed it off.

Not entirely his fault but he's got a poor record when he's stood in for Smith and NZ had a shit run in the four nations under him.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'm not a huge rap on Jesse either.
A couple of interesting points for me are, Will Chambers (nuff said?) and Sandor Earl, obviously a strong future shown in him. I think we may see a lot more of Sandor, and sooner than later.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I suspect Earl's job is to be the leader amongst the boys playing Q Cup.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote:
Danger D wrote:
Ah, cause he was caught buying/using cocaine and we kind of just brushed it off.

Not entirely his fault but he's got a poor record when he's stood in for Smith and NZ had a shit run in the four nations under him.
Not entirely fair to say we brushed it off. He lost a lot of credibility among the league community (including storm fans like myself). But he addressed the issue with a timely public apology and statement acknowledging his wrongdoings. Surely we can't expect to hold that over his head forever? In the time that's passed since the incident he's carried himself well and for my mind he deserves a second chance. If he stuffs up again I'd be happy to scratch him from leadership roles for good, but I think a one-strike policy in this instance would be particularly harsh given he didn't really harm anyone other than himself.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

What's actually changed outside of getting a 2 match suspension?

One strike policy? It's not like I'm asking him to be cut from the team. Just that I'd prefer we not just continue to keep him as part of the leadership group and possible future captain. At least maybe let him earn it over a season or two. I don't even think we took him off the leadership group after it happened?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:What's actually changed outside of getting a 2 match suspension?
It was much more than that mate. He was stripped of the Kiwis captaincy and stood down from the entire World Cup... Framing it as a slap on the wrist isn't accurate IMO.
blazza18 wrote:One strike policy? It's not like I'm asking him to be cut from the team. Just that I'd prefer we not just continue to keep him as part of the leadership group and possible future captain. At least maybe let him earn it over a season or two. I don't even think we took him off the leadership group after it happened?
I can see both points of view on this. On one hand I think if the club applied additional penalties is would have been overkill for a first offence. On the other hand, it is hard to hold Jesse up as an example for young guys to follow with such a poor decision when in such an important leadership position... I do think though that people can make mistakes and still go on to be great leaders. It's all in what you learn from it, how you grow and how you can use that situation as an exmaple for others.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'd have no dramas if he proved and earned himself a spot back on the Storm's leadership group, I'd have a hard time making him captain though.

And maybe I'm wrong on this but I can't remember if he got dropped from our leadership group or if it was just the 2 game suspension. Which considering how he made himself and the club look is pretty light. If he was Jesse Bromwich he's probably on a different team.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He did get dropped from the leadership group. He was reinstated during Origin.