New players for 2019

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Premiers
Squall
Squall

Hi

Does anyone know why Storm is the only club in the NRL not to gain any new players for the 2019 season? Seems poor recruitment by the club.

Cheers
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Focused on retention instead of recruitment
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Huge investments have been made in our young guys. Our recruitment would be the lowest in the NRL, but I would think our talent turnover would also be one of the lowest in the comp.
Premiers
Squall
Squall

Deadpool wrote:Focused on retention instead of recruitment
Yeah that's fine, but we've lost 2 of the last 3 grandfnals, so I think we need to buy in some players who can help us get over the line.

Look at the Roosters - this year they have added Crichton, Hall and Morris, with at least 2 of those guys steping into any starting 13. And we got no one. Frustrating because I don't want to have to watch another losing Grand final
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Premiers wrote:
Deadpool wrote:Focused on retention instead of recruitment
Yeah that's fine, but we've lost 2 of the last 3 grandfnals, so I think we need to buy in some players who can help us get over the line.

Look at the Roosters - this year they have added Crichton, Hall and Morris, with at least 2 of those guys steping into any starting 13. And we got no one. Frustrating because I don't want to have to watch another losing Grand final
We all know the Roosters salary cap is different to that of the rest of the comp.

But honestly I don’t think there was a whole lot of great talent available this year. The only names that moved clubs that really stick out to me are Crichton, Shaun Johnson, Josh McGuire and David Klemmer. The Roosters poached Crichton before last season even began, McGuire and Klemmer were only going to the Knights and cowboys respectively and the Sharks always seemed the front runners to get Johnson.

No one else stands out to me, Barba is a very good player but we all know he’s had his troubles off the field. The Morris twins are well past their prime. Hall also well past his prime, plus he’s coming off a big injury and is unproven in the NRL. Pangai jr was never really gunna leave the Broncos plus he’s a woman basher.

I’m perfectly fine with investing in our young guys like Tino, Drinkwater, papenhuyzen etc, instead of wasting it on overrated players from other teams
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tino could be a great addition.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The only thing that worries me is our forward pack dropping off so sharply last year. In 2017 we had the top pack and looked near unstoppable. Last year though, it felt we were dominated most weeks. McLean was a loss but that doesn’t explain it entirely. Attitude???

We were second last (of all NRL teams) for post contact metres...
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Premiers wrote:Hi

Does anyone know why Storm is the only club in the NRL not to gain any new players for the 2019 season? Seems poor recruitment by the club.

Cheers
As well as some great young players who are starting to become established first graders (Hughes, B. Smith) we have a number of good young guys waiting in the wings.
Some like Drinkwater have had a taste and will obviously be better for it this year. Others have yet to play first grade but have huge wraps on them from the club like Vete and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui.

I don't think we have bought a big name, and certainly not a rep player (unless you count Finucane with one City-Country game) since Bellamy has been in the hot seat and it has served us well so far.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Roosters bought Crichton and Hall but it cost them Napa and Ferguson. Meh.

Morris is hardly worth talking about.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The player market has been pretty dodgy the last couple of seasons and we’ve done well to retain what we can. To me the only real odd extension we’ve done recently is re-signing Blair.

Definitely could use a young forward or two to step up this season. Lost a fair chunk of the forward pack the last couple of seasons.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

TC wrote: I don't think we have bought a big name, and certainly not a rep player (unless you count Finucane with one City-Country game) since Bellamy has been in the hot seat and it has served us well so far.
Only ones who spring to mind are Crocker, Finch and Kasiano.
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

TC wrote:
Premiers wrote:Hi

Cheers
As well as some great young players who are starting to become established first graders (Hughes, B. Smith) we have a number of good young guys waiting in the wings.
Some like Drinkwater have had a taste and will obviously be better for it this year. Others have yet to play first grade but have huge wraps on them from the club like Vete and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui.

I don't think we have bought a big name, and certainly not a rep player (unless you count Finucane with one City-Country game) since Bellamy has been in the hot seat and it has served us well so far.

Mick Crocker and Brett Finch were both rep players but I take your pt we don't recruit them often
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Both Finch and Kasiano were both seen by most pundits as well past their best when we signed them. So do you count them as "rep players" we have signed? Kas hasn't played for NZ since 2013 (unless you count Tonga?).

Michael Crocker was a legit Origin player that we recruited.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Hoping Vete and Pat K can get more game time this year
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Vete definitely. His only game after signing last year was outstanding. Ran with a lot of intent. I was surprised that he wasn't given another crack, especially with our patchy forward form in the back end of the season.