Cam here or not?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm social media have confirmed the signing.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... -signs-on/

The skipper signs on
melbournestorm.com.au
Thu 10 Jan 2019

Cameron Smith will lead the club into the 2019 season after signing a two-year contract extension.

Smith fronted the media at AAMI Park today revealing he was adamant the club should secure the future of out-of-contract rising stars ahead of his own contract negotiations.

"We had some talented young guys coming off contract with the club looking to attain or extend their contract," he said.

"I recognised that was important and I was wary of that – there is no use going in and signing a contract and having no quality players around me.

"Cameron Munster is the perfect example – I spoke with our CEO Dave (Donaghy) and said to him 'that is of higher importance, make sure that gets sorted first.'"

Smith will continue to lead the team into the 2019 season, with Donaghy yesterday praising the Storm captain for always having the club's best interest in mind over the last 12 months.

"Cameron made it clear to us through the season he wanted to play on in 2019 but he saw it was more important to secure the future for the likes of Cameron Munster before him," Donaghy said.

"Being a one-club player is rare in footy these days and it's a credit to Cameron for sticking with us.

"There's no doubt having Cameron around to help with the development of our next wave of players will be of enormous value to the team and the Club more broadly."

"I was feeling really good after the 2018 season... as good as I've ever felt and that was the reason I asked the club for two years," Smith said.

"There was no haggling or pushing the club into a decision, I just posed the question.

"If it was a dead-set no from the club I would have been happy to go ahead with the 12 months and reassess during this season."

Smith said there had been "no issues" around the terms of the contract.

"Players like Hoffman, Slater and Cronk – we have all been wary of making sure we have a strong squad around us.

"If that means you play at this club for less than you could possibly earn somewhere else, that's what you do.

"At this organisation it is all about being selfless and making sure you're thinking of the club and not always looking out for yourself."

The 35-year-old skipper returned to training last week after an extended break and is on track to reach a record 400 NRL games as he heads into his 18th season.

He has avoided major injuries for the bulk of his career and missed only one game last season due to suspension after retiring from representative football.

"400 is a special number – no one has ever reached that and when it's within reach it is certainly in the back of your mind," he said.

"No one has ever played 400 games in our code and I don't think anyone would have imagined the first person to do it – if it happens – would be from a Melbourne rugby league team.

"I still love competing and I haven't been told by any of the coaches that my performance is diminishing in any capacity – that would be a sure sign for me to start thinking about finishing up.

"One thing I am always very conscious of is that I am able to fulfil my role.

"I've had a number of conversations with teammates who have finished up and their advice was always 'play as long as you can' so I have taken their advice.

"I have been very lucky with injuries to allow me to stay on the paddock and I'm hoping that continues throughout this year and the next."
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fox Sports headline of the Smith contract extension story:

‘I’m not selfish’: Smith denies Storm impasse

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/latest-news

:lol: These pricks...
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I wonder what the captain staying another two years means for Brandon? He'll be wanting to push for the NZ hooker job and that'll be hard to do when he wont be playing hooker for his club.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

blazza18 wrote:I wonder what the captain staying another two years means for Brandon? He'll be wanting to push for the NZ hooker job and that'll be hard to do when he wont be playing hooker for his club.
It's a fair point.

Munster to 1, Cam to 6?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Cam will spend more time in a second receiver role at times in games. At least I hope so. Give Brandon some space to develop his own game at hooker. Plus our backline set plays (and even off the cuff footy), can look sharp when Smith plays that link role.

It’s a delicate balancing act though as you don’t want to disjoint the rest of the spine.

Smithy may also play fewer minutes (although he may not like that).
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Brandon Smith is already locked up long term. And he’s already the NZ hooker and let’s be honest he doesn’t have any real competition for that spot. I think as long as he gets to play regularly then I’m sure he’ll be more then happy to keep learning as much as he can from the GOAT, in fact I’m pretty sure he said as much not that long ago
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Lucas wrote:
blazza18 wrote:I wonder what the captain staying another two years means for Brandon? He'll be wanting to push for the NZ hooker job and that'll be hard to do when he wont be playing hooker for his club.
It's a fair point.

Munster to 1, Cam to 6?
While Hughes is a great young player, I think Munster is potentially a world class fullback. Cam S isn't really a 5/8. More likely he will float between 9 and 7, with the 6 going to Hughes or Croft. Maybe Drinkwater at 7 because he can push out wide when Smithy slides back. Brandon off the bench - perhaps in a similar role to Danny in '98/99 when he played back row and picked up some of the hooking.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... e-in-2019/

Handshake deal leaves door open for Smith to retire in 2019
Michael Chammas, Chief Reporter
Wed 27 Feb 2019

A handshake agreement between Cameron Smith and Melbourne could mean the champion hooker hangs up the boots at the end of 2019.

Smith, who is expected to this year become the first player to notch 400 NRL games, doesn’t have a clause in his new two-year deal with Melbourne.

However, NRL.com has been told there is a mutual understanding between the skipper and the club that he could pull the pin after this season.

There was some hesitation from the Storm over whether to commit to Smith for another two years, but the game’s longest-serving player has assured the club he would be in close dialogue with coach Craig Bellamy throughout this season and will decide together if this should be his last.

Smith, who will be 36 by the end of this year, has arguably been in career-best form in recent seasons and has shown no signs of slowing down.

However, he is not naive to the fact his form, and mental capacity to keep playing, could change very quickly.

"Just to clarify it, I’m happy to be up front – there’s no option in the contract. It’s a two-year contract," Smith told NRL.com when asked about the potential of finishing up this year.

"But when we were having discussions about me re-signing for two years I made it quite clear to everyone involved that I’d be discussing where I was at through the 2019 season with Craig and how he felt I was travelling.

"If he felt that it was better to finish off this year then I would take that on board. But before it even got to Craig I would know myself. I would know whether I was happy with my form or whether my involvement or contribution to the team was deteriorating.”

Part of Smith’s desire to sign a two-year deal was to avoid an undoubted media frenzy over whether he would be extending his career into 2020.

But a potential retirement at the end of the year is unlikely to be disruptive on the Storm given they have a ready-made replacement in Brandon Smith.

The Storm are conscious that if Smith were to retire, it would be easier to plan their salary cap structure for the future if he didn’t wait until after this season to decide.

As it stands Smith is confident he will be able to play on for another two years and notch up a remarkable 19 seasons as an NRL player.

"I was feeling that good that instead of locking away 12 months, why not two years," he said.

"Because in my mind if I locked in 12 months and then it got to May or June this year, then I’d have to start that whole process again.

"So I asked the question of the club, would two years suit the club.

"It took some time for them to discuss that and position themselves around the two years. They came back saying they were on board and that they were happy with it.

"I signed a two-year deal because at this stage I feel confident of getting those two years out. But if at any time throughout 2019 I feel like the game has got away from me a little bit or I just can’t handle the week to week grind, I’ll be more than happy to have a conversation with Craig about my position at the club."

The Storm have plans to use Smith differently in 2019. Brandon Smith is expected to spend some time at hooker, meaning Smith will be used as an extra half/ball-playing lock to help direct his team around the paddock.

The Storm hope having Cameron Smith sit behind the ruck will help minimise the impact of having no Billy Slater, whose guidance and direction was pivotal to Melbourne for many years.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

A couple of things on this story (which has appeared far and wide in RL circles - such as this joke of an article on Fox Sports for example - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c793bfa811)

I don't get why it is being framed as "secret handshake" and "big twist"? Players finish up mid-contract all the time. It is hardly a ground-shattering idea. The Fox Sports article is filled with intentional fabrications that have been dispelled by Smith and the Storm, like the numerous times it states that Smith demanded two years or he would refuse to sign on. RL reporters are a joke.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Clickbait. Typical fox Sports.