2019 To Infinity... and Beyond!

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

So we now have to consign the 2018 Grand Final to a sad and hopefully forgotten memory and move on. Time to analyse what we didn't do well and how we can improve.

This is not the first time we've been we've been in a GF and been over run by the oppositions forwards but that wasn't the only issue.

For example since 2016 I've been concerned about the Suli/Will side as I've not been a great fan of the amount of opposition tries against us on that side and how they've chosen to defend. I've not played League but it's my understanding that if your centre tries to go in, your winger has to follow him therefore leaving a significant hole for anyone to run through from a decent kick .

So now is it time to:
1. Look at our centres.
2. Is Croft the best at 7
3. Who comes in to replace Timmy G. (Not really confident he'll do well with the Knights)
4. Munster at 6 or 1?
5. Jahrome at 6 or 1?
6. Is it time to fast track any of the Easts/Falcons into the team?
7. Jessie (like many) didn't have a great final as he and Timmy G had under a 100 yards between them. Do any of other of the props get a run (Still after a full season, Sam Kasiano is still yet to inspire IMO) .
8. Is it too early for Tino in the second row fighting it out with Stimson?

So any thoughts fellow and much cleverer Bai standers?
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

So much to ponder!
1. They did not have much consistency in 2018 but when they're good they are among the best in the comp.
2. Yes. Young player will only be better off for the experience and will only improve with more game time. When Cam Smith retires he will be directing the team around the park.
3. I would start Welch and bring Kasiano onto the bench. But let's see what happens with their form to start 2019. If Kasiano's is the same as current then by all means get Tui or Vete on the bench.
4. Whatever he wants. I would prefer 6 as his kicking game is getting better and if he works on it could improve further in 2019.
5. Whatever Munster doesn't want. I like Hughes' pace at 1 and Munster's ability to defend in the middle.
6. Pass (I don't know enough about our reserves to comment)
7. Jesse has shown glimpses (eg prelim final vs sharks). He just needs to get the consistency back.
8. Pass (as with point 6 above).

Thanks for giving me some other stuff to think about rather than the shitty weekend :)
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

While we still have the core of a good playing group for 3 GF appearances I worry that our recent policy of not replacing some great departing players will catch up on us and youth cannot do it all. Plus some of our recent signings have been questionable.

Maclean and Glasby - we definitely need a big rough prop. Kasiano is a flop.
Cronk - I’ve now come to the realisation that Croft needs an extended run with Munster and no more chopping and changing. We didnt win the GF every year with Cronk so let’s set the bar somewhere fair.
Slater - irreplaceable and we just need to accept we will have a different style and capability at 1 for sometime. Just lost a future immortal.
Harris - I like Stimson but worry we have lost a bit of edge by losing Harris. Maybe worth a look at Left side second row

Finally the backs - our 2-5 combo got really showed up In the final and we’re not great in the play off games. They must do better but I can’t see us replacing them. I do like the look of Olam and would use him in spurts to keep Scott and Chambers on their toes.

My expectations are resetting as the big 3 move on. Keeping Bellamy was massive as is keeping Munster. As much as we show promise in some of our young guns I think a hard nosed prop and back rower would give us some of the oomph we missed at times this year esp In The GF.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

SunshineCoastStormer wrote: My expectations are resetting as the big 3 move on.
I think this is key. With the big three we managed an almost unprecedented period of dominance that will be nearly impossible to replicate. No other club has been as consistently successful over the last 10 years as we have and it's inevitable that we will experience some drop in results over the coming years and probably into the foreseeable future.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Danger D wrote:it's inevitable that we will experience some drop in results over the coming years and probably into the foreseeable future.
We could always lose our identity and adopt the Roosters MO - purchase a Premiership.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think we need more mongrel in our pack. Sorry to say but we had too many nice guys this year ie: joey, welch, glasby, hoffy. Going back 10 years we had crocker, j.smith, blair, white, lima, manu
We need someone like Vete to consistently play next year as he was brilliant in his 1 appearance and adds that aggression. Need to add someone else fearful as well
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote:
Danger D wrote:it's inevitable that we will experience some drop in results over the coming years and probably into the foreseeable future.
We could always lose our identity and adopt the Roosters MO - purchase a Premiership.
We'd get double the success and half the satisfaction.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Kasiano needs more time. He’ll be worth it if he comes good. Croft will be a star he’s learnt some priceless lessons in his first full year.
I love our centres but neither offer much in attack IMO. Defensively Chambers has done the best he could with the constant swapping inside him of halfbacks and what worries me about Suli more than his below-par defensive decision making is his effectiveness in tackles. More often than not he misses a simple tackle.
One thing my family asked me is who the tall Fijian looking youngster who dwarfed Tui Kamikica and I noticed it was Junior Ratuva. I don’t know how far he is into his development but his height is striking.
Whatever happens I’ll back these boys all the way to infinity and beyond.
ALX22
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Looks like Junior Ratuva is back in NZ. Apologies if this has already been stated.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

ALX22 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:28 pm Looks like Junior Ratuva is back in NZ. Apologies if this has already been stated.

Playing union