2018 Grand Final. Storm v Roosters

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Rip up whatever contract we had on the table for Munster and offer it to Keary.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Very very hard to watch that.

Pack completely dominated as were the backs when they ran trhe ball up.

Slater was the one shining light who ran his blood to Water.

Fair play to the Roosters for out muscling us but why no one from the forwards could make a big hit or ru to change the momentum.

There will be some soul searching but Robinson and the Roosters got this right just as much as we got it wrong. They did to us what we Have done to many. That’s what makes it hard to take. Take the Roosters who nailed us when Munster was in sin bin 1 - absolutely peppered our left with the Manu try sealing the game. On the other hand I think it took us about 50mins to find Cronk with the disallowed try effort.

Roll on 2019
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Deadpool wrote:
Kettles wrote:The old Melbourne Storm one year on, off for the next rears its ugly head again.
On the plus side, every time the Storm have lost a grand final we’ve bounced back to win the next year. Lost 2006 won 2007, lost 2008 won 2009, lost 2016 won 2017, lost 2018 win 2019?
Nice to optimistic but can’t see it. Losing Slater is massive . I’ve only fully watched the Storm from 2016 and he is the difference between a very good and a great team as I see it even at 35. Next year will be hard as we are also finding out the likes of Harris and Maclean can my be replaced by young guns just like that. I think we might need to do some trading to keep us top four...
estormboy
Squall
Squall

In one game on the big stage, has Munster successfully scrubs $000's from his next contract?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/melbo ... da693381bf

MELBOURNE’S Cameron Munster saved his worst for last, producing a shocker in the NRL grand final.

The Australian and Queensland representative was sinbinned twice, the first time that’s happened in grand final history, missed three tackles and made two errors.

The ultimate brain snap came in the 78th minute when he kicked a prone Joseph Manu in the head and was sent to the bin for a second time.

He also bombed a certain try by holding the ball in a three-on-one situation, after initially being sinbinned in the first half for holding down.

Of the kick on Manu, Phil Gould said: “For the last few sets of six, a couple of the Storm players have been looking for some cheap victories. He gets up and, bang, kicks him in the back of the head.

“It wasn’t a big one. He has been running into tackles, the game is over and that is frustration. I think it is a sendoff.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak"  Anon
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That's what you call shitting the bed. There's got to be some serious soul searching from the coaching staff if the best they could come up with was running one off the ruck with no support.

Defence was just as bad, we let a team go into half time with 100% completion.

That was a terrible loss, one of our worst ever. We got off lightly IMO.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

We ALWAYS pull out these performance when it matters most.23 are constantly defeating ourselves. We let Cronk do as be wishes and didn't make rooters pay for taking an injured man into the game. I think it took till 57mins in for NAS to run at him.

Dale and Brandon Smith, my silver lining as always. Even Kenny B
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LESStar58 wrote:
Insomniac wrote:
LESStar58 wrote:In fact, Munster can sign with Easts or Sharks or the Cowboys and I won't miss him. Pack your bags and *lima lima lima duck* off!
Ha ha! The emotional overreaction is high with this one it is! :lol:
Mate, he kicked a bloke in the back of the head. Absolutely not the Melbourne Storm thing to do. It's disgusting and has zero place in the game.
Yep, not condoning the ridiculous brain snap from Munster - even if it was a bit of a love tap of a "kick" (in the last 2 minutes of what was probably the worst game we've seen from Munster), it certainly deserved a sin binning and probably some judiciary attention. But to immediately leap to a 'get rid of him' sentiment is quite the overreaction in my opinion.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

big_m wrote:What a putrid display.

Most frustrating thing for me was having our backs take all the hitups early just ensured we were always under pressure. Against a big pack having a set of foxx, slater, scott etc will just get us nowhere.

Glasby was biggest dissapointment for me. 3 runs for 18m from your starting front rower? Why wasnt he looking for more work?

Still think we overachieved this year. We really didnt play much great footy all season so just to get to the gf is an achievement in itself.
Yep, agree 100% with this, particularly the bold section - seen that countless times this season, and it usually doesn't work out well for us. Our forwards were well beaten, yet again.

We clearly didn't want this as much as the Roosters did - where was the team that took it to the Rabbits a few weeks ago???
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brandon Smith was the best player tonight ...everyone’s didn’t get off the bus
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm sorry did gladsby get less than 20m and Jesse less than 50m? When the starting props get less Than 100m combined you know your arse is grass. For shame. Seen peas with bigger hearts.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Disappointed like others re the backs taking a lot of the hit ups. Re our starting forward pack I thought only Dale Finucane had a crack. We did get some momentum / energy when NAS and Kenny came off the bench after 20 minutes. Then in second half when Brandon came off the bench.

The Roosters dominated us in the first half and we only made matters worse with six errors and the sin bin. I thought the whole match would be like the second half. We left ourselves too much to do in the second half.
big_m
Squall
Squall

We've had the tactic of backs taking lots of early hitups forever. Steve turner used to take lots of early ones. Great when its working as the big guys stay fresh, but last night against a huge pack it was never working and smith should have told glasby etc to come for more work early on.

Thats really what got us into so much trouble. Wingers taking the hitups in first few sets and we're only getting to the 30 on last tackle. Then you are always under pressue. It wasnt so much our pack being beaten as it was our pack just not running at all. Very strange.

The booing of billy was a real embarrassment for the sport. Too many bogans watch this sport. What other sport does one of the best players ever get booed through their farewell interview. The game will never grow like that.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

big_m wrote:We've had the tactic of backs taking lots of early hitups forever. Steve turner used to take lots of early ones. Great when its working as the big guys stay fresh, but last night against a huge pack it was never working and smith should have told glasby etc to come for more work early on.

Thats really what got us into so much trouble. Wingers taking the hitups in first few sets and we're only getting to the 30 on last tackle. Then you are always under pressue. It wasnt so much our pack being beaten as it was our pack just not running at all. Very strange.

The booing of billy was a real embarrassment for the sport. Too many bogans watch this sport. What other sport does one of the best players ever get booed through their farewell interview. The game will never grow like that.
I agree Big M with the booing of Billy during his final interview, contrast that to the AAMI Park reaction to Luke Lewis's farewell interview, applause. Although not sure AAMI Park fans would have been as generous to Paul Gallen for example.
NevilleB
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Boys were on the 10am virgin flight
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That was our 2018 season in a nutshell. Only this time we can't use the excuse of "being first" so we shouldn't complain about bad habits. The forward pack came up small. The outside backs have gotten worse as the seasons gone on. A halfback with one arm who did nothing did more to help their team than our two best players.

The intensity and effort from the very first whistle was disgraceful. We treated it like it was a game in mid June.