2018 Grand Final. Storm v Roosters

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Utha wrote:Shows you that the RL media in this country are pretty much junk.
Agreed. The media feeds the fans what they want though. I think the negative, hateful, tall-poppy-cutting obsession is a reflection on the 'average' NRL fan - partucularly those in Sydney for a number of reasons.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/media/4516 ... tmap-5.pdf

From the above link, does anyone know whether this large area behind our seating area is a proper bar where you can actually go inside for a drink?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tugga wrote:http://www.anzstadium.com.au/media/4516 ... tmap-5.pdf

From the above link, does anyone know whether this large area behind our seating area is a proper bar where you can actually go inside for a drink?
It is an outdoor area (fenced off) with a bar, filled with Storm fans. Vice versa at the other end.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero wrote:
tugga wrote:http://www.anzstadium.com.au/media/4516 ... tmap-5.pdf

It is an outdoor area (fenced off) with a bar, filled with Storm fans. Vice versa at the other end.
Thanks heaps. That's me there then.
stormfan2010
Squall
Squall

I'll be in there too !
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

So, I was listening to Mac Sports and Mieke Buchan played an interview with C Munster from the Dally M's and he said his role was to take pressure of Cameron and Coops, then corrected himself (with an awkward laugh) and said Cameron and Bill. With no mention of Croft I fully expect Sunday to be the Cameron (x2) and Bill show. I hope it doesn't pan out this way as I think we struggle when Billy tries to do too much.
SunshineCoastStormer
Squall
Squall

Bullucked wrote:So, I was listening to Mac Sports and Mieke Buchan played an interview with C Munster from the Dally M's and he said his role was to take pressure of Cameron and Coops, then corrected himself (with an awkward laugh) and said Cameron and Bill. With no mention of Croft I fully expect Sunday to be the Cameron (x2) and Bill show. I hope it doesn't pan out this way as I think we struggle when Billy tries to do too much.
Fully agree - Slater has been magical in recent weeks as he has done just enough to a high standard. No silly miracle balls. On top of some great defence and raw running with the ball...

While Croft hasn’t earned the trust of a Cronk yet he does need to fill a good chunk of the play making and organisational work
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think you guys are reading to much into that. I dare say Croft would have the same role as Munster. I don’t think to much will change from the last few games
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree. Don't change what has worked well in the Qualifying/Prliminary Finals. Croft needs to keep looking to take the line on. He did that in his first few games in top grade, he has done it in the last couple of weeks and it obviously suits him.

Munster is much the same. When you are a legitimate running threat, most of the time it opens up space outside you and your passing game suddenly is dangerous.

Last play options will be crucial and not something we have done well all season. Avoid 7 tackle sets at all costs. Our little grubbers to the in-goal need to be 5m too short rather than 1m too long.
Itzbek the Purple
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

One thing I'm finding fascinating about the build up is the Roosters number seven seeming to have issues saying the words "Melbourne Storm". The latest example is in the press conference yesterday referring to the Storm as "The team on the left side of the table'". I repeat "Fascinating".
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/backt ... f6fe2119b6

Back-to-back premierships would be a nod to Storm’s founding fathers

THE Storm are on the verge of becoming the first back-to-back premiers since the Broncos in 1993, which would be a fitting nod to the club’s founders.

IT would be no mere coincidence if Melbourne were to become the first team since the great Brisbane sides of 1992-93 to win back-to-back NRL titles. Because as a club the Storm were practically built by the Broncos of the early 90s both on and off the field.

The first NRL franchise to be opened in the fully professional era and free from the scars of the Super League war, Melbourne were made for success from their opening days in 1998.

With Broncos founding father John Ribot as boss, two of Brisbane’s back-to-back premiership winners in Chris Johns and Glenn Lazarus were brought down as chief executive and the Storm’s first captain.

“Nearly everything in the club was built around what the Broncos were about,” Johns told AAP this week.

“The biggest lesson we got from the Broncos was we had to build a sense of club. And people that wanted to be about the club.

“The Broncos were the first to really create an atmosphere as a club where people wanted to play for less money.

“Every player we recruited (to Melbourne) had to come for the same reason.

“They wanted to improve and share in success. We couldn’t lure them with money or we’d be starting off on crumbling foundations.”

Crucial in that too was the recruitment of Chris Anderson as coach - a man synonymous with the family culture at Canterbury - and Lazarus as leader of a side desperate to be pioneers for rugby league in Melbourne.

By their second year, and with a side mostly made up of players left on the outer by the collapses of the Hunter Mariners and Western Reds, the Storm had their first premiership.

“We became a family and a very close family,” foundation player Scott Hill said.

“That’s what the Storm still is now.

“That’s the greatest thing about being in Melbourne, we’re away from media, we have our own selves to work with and we become good mates and it becomes a big family.

“There is no other club that can do that in Australia. Even Brisbane or Townsville, or any club in Sydney.”

Melbourne made the finals again in 2000 but it wasn’t until Craig Bellamy - another product of Wayne Bennett and Brisbane’s coaching system - arrived that things went to another gear.

“He came in and grabbed the senior group we had who were all good leaders and workers and took it to another level. His work ethic rubbed off on everyone,” Hill said.

“That developed good leaders. And it gave time for guys like Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater and Greg Inglis to develop into the true leaders they are.

“That club now is a place people go to become good leaders. They know how to take responsibility of their own actions.”

Still armed with the same recruitment strategy as Johns in the early days, Bellamy has continued to provide the same environment and framework at the club.

For all their success Melbourne have rarely paid top dollar to recruit a big name to the club, having instead made the most of those who slipped through the net at other clubs as juniors - including the game’s grandest big-three combination of Smith, Slater and Cronk.

“It’s a culture that everyone supports each other and supports the club,” Johns, who left the Storm in 2002 but still watches on closely, said.

“I think that’s stood the test of time where everyone has a passion for the club and not their bank account.”

Melbourne’s methods from those early foundations in both the front and back office are well proven, with Sunday’s decider against the Roosters being their third trip to a grand final in as many years despite the salary cap scandal that engulfed them at the end of last decade.

Outside of rugby league and under new owner Bart Campbell, the Storm’s extension into the Super Netball League has seen the Sunshine Coast Lightning win back-to- back titles in their opening two seasons.

“You can’t half tell that Melbourne Storm culture is a success,” Hill, who now lives in Noosa, said.

“All owned by the one company and driven by the one desire and one belief or philosophy.

“They had to relocate everyone there (to the Sunshine Coast), so it’s very similar methods and patterns. It’s a pretty amazing club to be founded.”

And after dominating the NRL-era, Sunday’s grand final and the chance to go back-to-back stands as the final frontier.

Not only to send retiring champion fullback Billy Slater out a winner against the Roosters, but to replicate the feats of Johns and Lazarus at Brisbane some 25 years ago and to become the first team to defend their title in a unified competition.

“It was a lot easier to do that back then than it is today,” Johns said.

“It is incredibly hard now. It’s so much more competitive. This year there were four or five clubs who could have won it.”
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Itzbek the Purple wrote:One thing I'm finding fascinating about the build up is the Roosters number seven seeming to have issues saying the words "Melbourne Storm". The latest example is in the press conference yesterday referring to the Storm as "The team on the left side of the table'". I repeat "Fascinating".
Like an ex he still has feelings for :love5:
:lol:
sliat_1981
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I know it’s been said but I forgot. Are we wearing our alternative strip. I don’t see why. Purple and blue hardly clash unles you’re colourblind
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sliat_1981 wrote:I know it’s been said but I forgot. Are we wearing our alternative strip. I don’t see why. Purple and blue hardly clash unles you’re colourblind
We are wearing away strip. But agree purple and blue don't clash.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Both jerseys are predominantly navy/dark blue. If our jersey was purple we might not be able to wear it either depending on how dark it was.